Rescue vs AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggiebq86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A little background. I'm a vacation diver but plan on doing more freshwater diving in the future. My 15 yr old daughter is also certified. I was looking at taking another class and I'm trying to decide which one to take. My first inclination is to take the Rescue class to improve my ability as a dive buddy (and father). BTW, I already have have Red Cross First Aid & CPR training. I'm also thinking of taking the AOW class as a means to improve my skills and understanding of diving theory and practice
What is everyone opinion regarding which class to take next?.

Well, if you're considering taking a PADI class, AOW is a prerequisite to Rescue. So if your next class is to be with a PADI instructor, there is no decision ... AOW will need to be your next class.

NAUI, on the other hand, has no such prerequisite ... you can take the Rescue class anytime after OW. And since the Rescue class is less about diving skills than it is learning how to avoid and deal with common diving problems, I think that Rescue is the more valuable class to take.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If I had to pick one over the other - I would take the Rescue. Both classes have value but to me the Rescue really added to my diving skill and to be honest - I really think that the material covered in Rescure should be a part of every open water class.

While I agree rescue is more valuable in terms of knowledge than AOW, the point of having AOW before rescue in the PADI system is to gain some real world experience. It looks like you do have more experience already, so either should be fine. When I was teaching more actively, most of my rescue students started the class with 9 dives, 4 from OW and 5 from AOW, so I'm glad AOW was a prerequisite.

One of the most valuable classes I have ever taken was my PADI Rescue Course. As a Park Ranger, I use the skills I learned in that class on a weekly basis.

I'd have to agree with all the posters above. Personally, Rescue made me really examine my dive skills and develop the mental stamina when handling a situation. It's easy to let things overwhelm you underwater, and the skills you learn in Rescue help with that, as well as handling many other situations.

AOW, which is needed before Rescue, helps with expanding your diving knowledge, from navigation, to recovery, and several other specialties. Also very helpful.

Both, in my opinion, are great classes, you'd benefit from both, perhaps getting more out of Rescue if your experience was like mine.

Before Rescue, PADI requires completion of adventure diver certification, and one of those dives to be underwater navigation.

If PADI's current site is current a diver only needs first aid/CPR and Adventure Diver. He/She will not need UW Nav or AOW. Interesting change if the site is correct. Regardless, I would take AOW then rescue personally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom