Rescued after 22 Hours Adrift - Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A 69-year-old man has been rescued in rough seas off Japan after spending 22 hours drifting in open water, with one official calling his survival a “miracle”.

The man, whose name has not been released, was alone on a boat off south-western Kagoshima prefecture en route to the resort island of Yakushima on Saturday afternoon when it capsized.

He managed to call a colleague on the island to alert him, but was not found until nearly a day later, the coastguard said, when rescuers spotted him sitting on the engine of his capsized boat, clasping a propeller part.

“He was out in the sea alone for 22 hours. I am amazed by his survival skills,” a coastguard official said, declining to be identified.

Dramatic footage released by the coastguard showed a team approaching the man by boat, calling out: “We are coming! Just a little bit longer! Hold on tight!”

The man was able to wrap himself in a grey plastic sheet, helping him stay warm, officials said.

“It’s a miracle he survived,” a coastguard official told the Asahi Shimbun daily.

I've done Kagoshima to/from Yakushima. It's four hours by slow cargo boat and two hours by high-speed catamaran. It's definitely rough over open water.

It does not seem to have been a diving accident tho.

Nope. I posted because it's about survival in open water.
Lucky that he still had a phone, still worked, and had reception. A well equipped diver would have fired his PLB so the Coasties could find him in the dark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom