resort tipping rates at Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your resort advertises it is "no tips" or "tips included", it's entirely up to you, IMHO. The standard tip for dive ops (and regardless of whether you tip the DM or crew, they divide among themselves), is $10 for a 2 tank dive of AL80s, which works out to about 15% of the dive cost, generally. I tip $15 for 2 tanks for big tanks b/c ths reflects higher price. (And then usually something at the end that reflects the overall service for the entire experience.)

Then go crazy after that.... I think that small mom and pop restaurants (once you get off the melgar and high traffic restaurants) are very happy with even small tips. They are relying on repeat business from repeat visitors, unlike lots of the "tourist" restaurants that want "American" tips.

And as someone else noted, check your bill to make sure tips haven't been included. On my last trip, on my way back via Cancun, I stopped for lunch in Playa del Carmen. Although I was off the main drag, a tip was included in the bill. Fortunately a fellow traveller and someone fluent in Spanish (who, while initially sitting at another table but joined me when we discovered we had similar intrests) pointed it out to me.

My general view - don't overtip what the locals would provide (which is really minimal for anything outside diving) unless you've had SUPERIOR service. But that includes ALL the places where people have their hands out, which includes packing your grocery bags, "watching" your bicycle etc. etc. 50 cents for so for those "services".

I have spent some time in Australia...they dont expect tipping, even in restaraunts...but if you do tip...man they really are grateful.
I worked in a bar in England when I was younger. I think I got about two tips in over two years!! I really wished I had worked in a bar in NYC instead!

We just got back from an AI in Cozumel. We tipped at the end of the week and tipped our DM and crew separately, the cleaners and a couple of restaurant staff which we thought provided a better service.

Tipping should be a personal thing and to compare how much you tip only makes people feel pressured to give more than they want. If you value the service provided, tip what you think it was worth. After all, you have paid for the service in the first place.

Just tip the same as you would when traveling in the U.S. So many of us travel to Cozumel that the service workers there are used to the same tips as here. I agree on that $10 per two tank tip on the boat. You'll find some tip more and some tip less, but that's usually the average from the Keys to Coz. Bottom line? If you ever feel embarassed by your tip, tip more. If you feel like you're overtipping, then you probably are, so tip less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom