Restore my confidence in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What happened here is quite different from when a plane goes down. No comparison.
None whatsoever.

400 dive ops...?? :confused:
I guess I also look up to these DM's in a big way and respect them very much and so some of these events have shaken me a little but I guess its no different to when a plane goesd down - doesnt detract from the fact that flying is the safest mode of transport.
Wellllllll, counting on a DM to take care of you would be a poor choice I think. Brief and lead the dive yeah, but my buddy & I will take care of ourselves until time to board. If you lack that confidence, maybe do a Rescue course?
One thing I would like to see coming out of the boards is perhaps a little more transparency so that when posters ask for opinions on various subjects, dive ops, destinations that there is a little more honesty - for if not what is the purpose of the boards.
The problem is that people ask for recommendations, without saying what they want in an Op, few bother to ask - just start cheering for their favs for no reasons usually, but mostly none ask for pros & cons so not only do posters not say why they like an Op, no one is going to criticize any usually.
People do stupid things all over the world. I recommend that when you're on Cozumel, you avoid planning dives with suicidal profiles, inadequate gear and that are way beyond your training. If you do that, then you'll face no more than the usual risks that are faced by all divers. :)
Fortunately, no one has ever suggested one to me and not likely anyone will to anyone. You might ask for one, but no one offers them.

I'd still say that most of the dive ops are excellent, the DMs superb, the captains superb and the underwater environment fairly safe given the usual cautions.

It is kind of tough sometimes to read through everyone's posts here about their favorite dive shops and get a warts-and-all picture. I know I tend to avoid saying anything negative about an operator on these forums, even though there have been a few that I haven't liked as much as I had hoped--partly because I don't want to potentially damage anyone's business with my personal opinion that's maybe based on a bad day or two (and so far, I've never encountered a small-boat operator that wasn't trying pretty hard to please us), and also because of a reluctance to invite a cheerleader pile-on. So I don't think your desire for more transparency, or at least candidness, is completely unfounded.

I agree with everyone who's basically saying don't do anything unduly risky, and ask your questions before you step on the boat. And most of all, if you have a DM who's leading dives in a way you don't like, say something, ask for someone else or vote with your feet. We've done it. We don't use the most expensive operator in town, but I do have confidence in their regard for diver safety. I base part of my opinion on noticing that the DM seems mindful of his own safety. Not that I actually know what our op's contingency plans are, or how many oxygen masks they have on the boat. Those are probably great questions to ask.

We've been going to Cozumel for about 20 years--not as long as some people here, but a while nonetheless. And we've been other places near and far as well. Things that are especially good about Cozumel, I think, beyond the quality of the diving itself, is that it has a really well-established dive infrastructure, with lots of good shops to choose from, ditto professional DMs, and ready access to hyperbaric treatment should you have the misfortune to need it. It's not remote. You can find operators who have good, well-maintained equipment if you need to rent. The DMs tend to speak our language pretty well, since so few of us have a firm grasp of theirs. While not every divemaster is fantastic, so many are, and I think it's pretty rare to find yourself under the guidance of a rank amateur. There are a lot of places in the world where all of those things are more difficult to come by.

This has got me thinking. I like to ski, a lot. I live pretty close to major ski areas. Banff and Jasper. Last year people died at these extremely popular ski destinations. And alas Sony Bono died doing this sport.....should I go there or not???? sorry but you get my drift right?:wink:

I don't think any shop on the island would take you out to do the dive that the accident produced unless you where certified and fully equipped for it. (trust me I wish they had been equipped)
Like what was stated earlier, in all likelihood the dive ops of the island just became ever MORE safer! I can't wait to get back. I hope you do too.:D

I am a big believer in personal responsibility. You make your choices. Don't make reckless ones and chances are you will be fine. The most valuable piece of dive equipment is your brain. If someone offers a reckless dive, just say no.

Very well said. A few more thoughts...

Dive to your training or get more training. If another diver or DM has NAFOD, it does not mean you have to follow suit. Practice good situational awareness (in or out of the water). If you don't feel comfortable with a particular operator, CHANGE ops!

Respect the abyss... and remember that sometimes SJHTF.

Although this incident has generated quite a bit of discussion with my DH/buddy --(mostly of the "if you went bonkers and kicked down a wall at warp speed, would I make myself a 2nd victim or not? " variety), it will not change our minds about going back to Coz.

Do you have a better explanation as to why they trashed one of the nicer shallow reefs when they could have put this downtown with minimal reef impact

Not to fuel this hijack but perhaps it is to keep the pod-people more captive, shopping and dining at that audacious and overpriced mall at the pier and keeping them from experiencing the "real" Cozumel by venturing into town to eat authentic food and buy authentic merchandise where the profits are NOT shared with the Cruise line. :shakehead:

Go back to the scuba diving basics...

Plan your dive...Dive your plan

Have your scuba equipment regularly maintained...and...

If God wants ya...He's gonna take ya...no matter what you are doing...just don't give Him a reason!!!!

:blessing::blessing::blessing::blessing::blessing:

Dive often...Dive Cozumel...

:confused: Are you sure about that???

I thought it began with, "Hold my beer . . ." Then, "you just gotta see this . . ." or "Hey, y'all watch this . . . "

those are usually "famous last words" :D

Not to fuel this hijack but perhaps it is to keep the pod-people more captive, shopping and dining at that audacious and overpriced mall at the pier and keeping them from experiencing the "real" Cozumel by venturing into town to eat authentic food and buy authentic merchandise where the profits are NOT shared with the Cruise line. :shakehead:

Unfortunately, they do go to town in hoards despite the rather remote location of the southern piers! It is amazing to me to witness the masses of taxis lined up just prior to a ship arrival! Plaza Central and the surrounding area will become wall-to-wall pasty-legged tourists from mid-morning through late afternoon. And, as soon as the boats depart, half of the shops simply close down... Business is done for that day!

I have been going to Coz on a rather regular basis since the mid-80's. And when we first started going down there it was such a different place. So much simpler and less crowded and hectic. We used to enjoy making fun of the "boat people" when the rather rare cruise liner would pull in! Ahhh,,, but I wax nostalgic!

For me Coz is still a great place to dive for a huge variety of reasons, From DFW it is an easy 2hr and 45 min. direct flight! It still remains an exceptional value (although, admittedly, not as much as years gone by!). And it still has some of the best diving of anywhere I have ever been!

We try to go there at least twice a year if at all possible and then try a different or perhaps more remote dive location for one other trip during the year. And I still have not found anyplace that would make me not want to come back to Coz!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom