Retailers selling what turns out to be 'new old stock' hoses, how old is 'too old' ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is generally not possible to determine the condition of a hose through inspection, because the jacket is made of a different material than the braid and the core, and is exposed to different conditions, and has a different service life.

Can you direct me to where you got that information? I am referring to the material of the jacket and the core in the case of rubber hoses.

The Scuba LP rubber hoses that I am familiar with seem to use the same rubber material for the core and the cover.

Here is one example:
Scuba Diving Breathing Air Hose - Diver 100 EN 250
http://ph.parker.com/us/en/diver-100-en-250-scuba-diving-breathing-air-line

Eaton Synflex has a polyester core, PVC sheath.
Specifications:
  • Length: 300 Foot Reel
  • Off-Gassing: MIL-H2815F
  • Minimum Bend Radius: 1.500
  • Maximum Working Pressure: 250 PSI
  • Minimum Burst Pressure: 1,000 PSI
  • Tube: Polyester Lined Core
  • Braid: Synthetic Fiber
  • Cover: Yellow PVC
  • Temp Range: -15°F to 150°F
Amron sells a hose with nitrile tube and Buna sheath
Features:

• Handling mixtures of oxygen, helium and nitrogen gases customarily used in diving applications as air breathing hose. The kink resistant hose is designed for extra long wear under normal operating use.Certified.
Specifications:

• Length: 1800" inch
  • I.D.: LP - 5/16" (8.0mm) SLP - 1/4" (6.3mm)
  • O.D.: LP - 0.56" (14.20mm) SLP - 0.51" (13mm)
  • Working Pressure: 400psi
  • Proof Pressure: 800psi
  • Min Burst Pressure: 2000psi
  • Temperature Yellow: -40 F to +120 F (-40 C to +49 C) continuous service
  • Temperature Green: -40 F to +190 F (-40 C to +88 C) continuous service
  • Tube: Type C (Nitrile) Black
  • Reinforcement: Braided, high tensile synthetic textile cord
  • Cover: TYPE A (Neoprene) Black. All sizes perforated
  • TYPE C (Modified Nitrile) Yellow & Green. All sizes perforated

Thanks @Wookie

But the Eaton Synflex is not a rubber hose. That is a thermoplastic hose that has many industrial applications. At least according to the EATON web site.

Does anyone actually uses that hose as an LP Scuba hose?

I couldn’t find the AMRON hose in their web site, but that does look like a typical rubber hose.

I am not at all surprised to see that combination. The two types of rubber (Nitrile and Neoprene) can be mechanically similar even if other properties are somewhat different.

BTW, Nitrile and Buna-N are two names for the same type of rubber.

Hoses often (especially buna hoses used in oxygen rich environments) rot from the inside out. That's why the outer sheath have small holes, to let you know they are letting go.

Could you expand on what type of application this has been observed? Are we talking Scuba application, aviation oxygen, medical O2, or some other application were the hoses are exposed to O2 for long periods of time?

Let me explain why I ask.

If I was a dive master in the Caribbean diving 5 times a week (using Nitro 32 or 36), 2 dives a day for let's say 50 weeks a year. That is roughly 500 hours a year of exposing my hoses (assuming an average of 1 hour long dives). In a year that works out to a time exposure of about 5.7% of the year (8760 hours).

When the regulator is pressurized (and diving) the IP may go up to 13 Bar (189 psi) absolute with an O2 partial pressure of about 4.7 Bars. The other 94% of the time the O2 level will quickly return to 0.21 atm.

In my case, I average about 100 logged dives a year. I just don’t worry about the oxygen exposure on any of my hoses or the O-rings in my regulators. Not for some O2 exposure for about 1% of the year or less. But, that is just me. YMMV
I am OK with others replacing their hoses every 5 years. It may be good for the economy. It is just bad for the land fills.

I would be concern with the O-rings on tank valves with high O2, but I don’t have any of those (other than my emergency medical O2 kits).

Personally, I see the inside environment of my LP hoses to be much more benign to the outside. The outside is exposed to sun, oils, dust , dirt, salt water, abrasion, etc.

I have a collection of both double hose and single hose regulators from the 70's and earlier. I have no issue using the LP hoses on most of the single hose regulators. Many look new and they surely never saw high O2 exposure.

BTW, IMO from observation, the worst exposure most Scuba hoses will experience is actually very benign as compared to some hoses use in industry for many years without being replaced.

Thanks

Sure. I was a Liveaboard operator for 20 years. My second year we put a nitrox system on the boat. But for 10 years before I got there, we used a hang line with a 50 foot second stage hose. That hose stayed pressurized probably 850 hours per year. First hose lasted well over 10 years, failed maybe in year 13. They failed about every 2-3 years after that. When I’d cut the ends off I noticed the lining was cracked like Sun exposure, while the sheath looked ok. I assume it was because of exposure to higher O2, although I never pursued it.

Many of my hoses, both LP and HP, are more than 20 years old. Some have developed cracks and were taken out of service. Others still look fine. They have only been used with air. The only times that I've had HP hoses fail they gave me plenty of advance warning and so far have not been catastrophic. One that I remove from service due to cracks I have been using on my compressor for a couple of years. It looks awful but does not leak.

For me the bottom line is: if it looks bad or leaks don't use it. I think that how and where the hoses are stored could have a lot to do with longevity.

I've actually already had the hose to my octopus fail. It was on my fourth OW check out dive. It wasn't very dramatic -- it just started losing a steady stream of bubbles about an inch from the connection to the octopus. We were supposed to do an out-of-air scenario anyway. We declared that I was the one who would receive rather than give the secondary, even though it seemed like it would have taken quite a while to empty the tank at that leak rate.

It was a rental hose. The instructor said he'd never seen it happen before. Apparently, the effect was more dramatic on our bubbles on the surface -- the boat captain who was following our bubbles was noticeably concerned when we surfaced.

They dissected the hose and the inner part was cracked (presumably from sun exposure) and the braided sheath was fine.

Eaton Synflex has a polyester core, PVC sheath.
Specifications:
  • Length: 300 Foot Reel
  • Off-Gassing: MIL-H2815F
  • Minimum Bend Radius: 1.500
  • Maximum Working Pressure: 250 PSI
  • Minimum Burst Pressure: 1,000 PSI
  • Tube: Polyester Lined Core
  • Braid: Synthetic Fiber
  • Cover: Yellow PVC
  • Temp Range: -15°F to 150°F
Amron sells a hose with nitrile tube and Buna sheath
Features:

• Handling mixtures of oxygen, helium and nitrogen gases customarily used in diving applications as air breathing hose. The kink resistant hose is designed for extra long wear under normal operating use.Certified.
Specifications:

• Length: 1800" inch
  • I.D.: LP - 5/16" (8.0mm) SLP - 1/4" (6.3mm)
  • O.D.: LP - 0.56" (14.20mm) SLP - 0.51" (13mm)
  • Working Pressure: 400psi
  • Proof Pressure: 800psi
  • Min Burst Pressure: 2000psi
  • Temperature Yellow: -40 F to +120 F (-40 C to +49 C) continuous service
  • Temperature Green: -40 F to +190 F (-40 C to +88 C) continuous service
  • Tube: Type C (Nitrile) Black
  • Reinforcement: Braided, high tensile synthetic textile cord
  • Cover: TYPE A (Neoprene) Black. All sizes perforated
  • TYPE C (Modified Nitrile) Yellow & Green. All sizes perforated

Hi Captain Frank, I've recently bought LP hoses (both BCD and 2nd-stage hoses) from Piranha stamped as WP 1250 psi / BP 5000 psi....and Yes, these are LP hoses !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom