Retaliation against dumb boaters & fisherman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a bit lighter note: 2 similar stories, from 2 different islands, 2 different ops, 2 different years:

Both involved a newer glass bottomed boat operator that unwilling to adjust schedules to safely be able to coexist with established dive ops., using the same sites. (i.e trying to tour over the site during established, scheduled dive times, rather than before or after.) I know that these actions are not polite, but...)

1) the dive op. orchestrated a "group moon"of the glass bottom boat

2) Where the the glass bottom boat "pilots" did not really know the area, but merely followed a series of painted blocks into an out of the dive sites: the dive op. people moved a few the painted blocks, the result of which put the boat on a circular path.

Growing up around sailboats, I have determined that everyone operating a power boat has their head up their asses, until proven otherwise. People in sailboats think since they aren't travelling fast (relative to power boats), and don't have a spinning prop they won't hurt you. Also, they think the wind gives them a right-of-way to everything else out there. My opinion is based on downed skiers, not divers.

Growing up around sailboats, I have determined that everyone operating a power boat has their head up their asses, until proven otherwise. People in sailboats think since they aren't travelling fast (relative to power boats), and don't have a spinning prop they won't hurt you. Also, they think the wind gives them a right-of-way to everything else out there. My opinion is based on downed skiers, not divers.

Having never felt it, I would not want a "silent" sailboat hull under full wind sail cracking my skull.....anybody that thinks that would not hurt should give it a try....just once.

My instructor told me about the time he was diving with his wife. She didn't see the hook as it dropped down right beside her arm. He swooped in and grabbed the line before she got caught. He wrapped it around his hand a few times and took off swimming a nice large box. Then he took out his knife and cut the line.

When they surfaced, he asked the fisherman in the nearby boat how the fishing was. "Man, you shoulda seen the big one I had on my line a while ago!"

While diving in Bora Bora with my dive buddy, a Nautilus sub with some of our fellow passengers from the cruise ship kept coming in way too close to our dive group. My buddy finally had it and mooned them. I've never seen one of those subs move so fast as it made a quick turn away. When we got back, the DM laughed and thanked him. He said he never could get away with it, but he loved him doing it. The sub never came near again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom