Riding a DSMB up from a deep wreck???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I though several of us have explained: It was a class exercise on using a DSMB for alternate buoyancy in the event of a wing failure.

Others have suggested it's not a strategy they would use, but that's not really relevant to your question of what was being practiced in the video.

Thanks, but why not hold it
For the whole ascent? If the intent is to provide lift?

Thanks, but why not hold it
For the whole ascent? If the intent is to provide lift?

Here's my guessed as a diver who has rode a dsmb for lift:

1. Ascending directly to the surface without deco stops on a deco dive is less desirable.
2. A dsmb can serve as a dsmb if the diver isn't directly attached to it. Easier to send up the one being used for buoyancy and hold the string than to try to launch a second dsmb while riding the first and hold a deco stop.

I haven't been trained by Chatterton. Maybe some of his colleagues/friends/students can speak to specifically what he is demonstrating.

Cameron

You can have a different school of thought. That’s fine.

What’s not fine is saying things that are incorrect. Saying you can’t dive deep wrecks with a balanced rig is, simply, incorrect.

If you read back I didn't say you can't. I said there are times when it isn't feasible. Example, if I dive dry here is S. Florida I need no insulation. Most of the deeper wrecks here can be done with double AL 80s and a stage granted you can actually stage them somewhere. If you're doing a hot drop on the stern and doing a drift deco from the bow you can't stage your cylinders somewhere so a stage isn't really doable. Therefore bigger doubles are required. With pumped double108s, an 80 with 50%, and a 40 with O2 and my trilam even at 500psi/15 feet I'm still negative. The only way you can dive balanced on a wreck is with stages unless you have the ability to use ditchable weight which in my case I can't. How do you propose diving a wreck without stages in a balanced configuration?

I'll talk to Chatterton later today and report back. From speaking to some of his former students I don't believe it's an emergency procedure but I will confirm with him.

If you read back I didn't say you can't. I said there are times when it isn't feasible. Example, if I dive dry here is S. Florida I need no insulation. Most of the deeper wrecks here can be done with double AL 80s and a stage granted you can actually stage them somewhere. If you're doing a hot drop on the stern and doing a drift deco from the bow you can't stage your cylinders somewhere so a stage isn't really doable. Therefore bigger doubles are required. With pumped double108s, an 80 with 50%, and a 40 with O2 and my trilam even at 500psi/15 feet I'm still negative. The only way you can dive balanced on a wreck is with stages unless you have the ability to use ditchable weight which in my case I can't. How do you propose diving a wreck without stages in a balanced configuration?

Negative with or without stages?

Keep the stages on you?

Keep the stages on you?

That would certainly be an option if you're not going inside. Outside touch dive for sure. Penetration I don't think I'd want three slung tanks.

Negative with or without stages?

That's without the stage just backgas, 50 and O2. With mix the a stage is negligible anyways.

That would certainly be an option if you're not going inside. Outside touch dive for sure. Penetration I don't think I'd want three slung tanks.

That's without the stage just backgas, 50 and O2. With mix the a stage is negligible anyways.

Weight check should be with back gas only. Deco bottles aren’t part of your weight system in a balanced rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom