Riding a DSMB up from a deep wreck???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On t2 dives the bottom gas is very light. An al80 with 15/55 is damn near neutral. An al40 with 2000ish PSI of oxygen is also neutral. Really the heaviest bottle is the 50%.

That said, I think a drysuit is a smart move even when its warm out on t2 dives. I've ran into some quite chilly thermoclines off south Florida (like upper 50s Brrr!).

Are you bringing three slung bottles in a wreck?

Are you bringing three slung bottles in a wreck?
In it? Depends on if I'll fit and if its reasonable and how long/ far ill be in it. I have no qualms about leaving bottles and scooter on the penetration line like a cave dive. I think it would be better to use bigger backgas tanks and not take a stage, but I won't do that with a wetsuit.

On and around the wreck? Yea sure no problem.

I think youre mistaken if you think you can orally inflate that thing fast enough while you're sinking and your ears are screaming.
I was being facetious. Nevertheless, negative hot drop descents are something I am familiar with and feel I could handle with relative ease. My point is simply I see no shame in having a second bladder to manage a lengthy ascent plan. Perhaps the better way to ask this is if you were diving wet in the ocean with twin Al80's and say another slung bottle for deco, maybe add a nice camera rig or hunting gear, and cut the corrugated hose on your wing on some ragged wreck, would you rather have a second back up bladder, a DSMB/lift bag, or kick your way up and physically hold stops?

I was being facetious. Nevertheless, negative hot drop descents are something I am familiar with and feel I could handle with relative ease. My point is simply I see no shame in having a second bladder to manage a lengthy ascent plan. Perhaps the better way to ask this is if you were diving wet in the ocean with twin Al80's and say another slung bottle for deco, maybe add a nice camera rig or hunting gear, and cut the corrugated hose on your wing on some ragged wreck, would you rather have a second back up bladder, a DSMB/lift bag, or kick your way up and physically hold stops?
I'd had the camera to my buddy, so that's not a factor.

SMB or bag would be fine. I wouldn't be very heavy at depth anyways because balanced rig, and I'd be neutral at 15' with no gas in my wing.

I'm not interested at all in a double bladder wing and all the complication it brings to the table.

I'd had the camera to my buddy, so that's not a factor.

SMB or bag would be fine. I wouldn't be very heavy at depth anyways because balanced rig, and I'd be neutral at 15' with no gas in my wing.

I'm not interested at all in a double bladder wing and all the complication it brings to the table.

You mean there’s No chance of you rocking up with a double bladder bungee tek wing on your rb80 then?

The other thing is one of the other members stated that he teaches this still by dumping the BC into the bag. To me that says it's an ascent skill and not a failed bc skill but idk

Yep, that's what I said and how I interpreted the intent of the skill as well. There's no reason it couldn't be done neutrally buoyant and in good trim - I know, because that's how I did it (I clearly wasn't in that video :wink:). No mention was made to using it for failed BCDs either, he required a different redundant source of buoyancy that wasn't a DSMB (dual bladder, lift bag, dry suit - though I agree that a drysuit is a horrible idea for redundant buoyancy!). The technique was simply a transfer of some of the buoyancy from the BCD bladder to the DSMB. As you ascend, your bladder goes from negative to neutral and the DSMB goes from neutral to positive. You let go when you're closer to the surface so you're not reeling in 200'+ of line, don't have an absurd amount of rode, and the DSMB location is more representative of your actual location in the water. I would imagine that in an emergency situation (OOG, etc.) your approach would change... but shouldn't that be true of all diving? You make the best decision on course of action based on the circumstances?

In it? Depends on if I'll fit and if its reasonable and how long/ far ill be in it. I have no qualms about leaving bottles and scooter on the penetration line like a cave dive. I think it would be better to use bigger backgas tanks and not take a stage, but I won't do that with a wetsuit.

On and around the wreck? Yea sure no problem.

Ya that's my feeling too. Diving dry on some of these for me is just too dang hot...

Fact is if you're mid water and have a bc failure it's definitely quicker to get your second bcd inflator than fumbling to get out a bag. Second, there's really no "true" complications to a second bladder. All of them are pretty easily dispelled.

Fact is if you're mid water and have a bc failure it's definitely quicker to get your second bcd inflator than fumbling to get out a bag. Second, there's really no "true" complications to a second bladder. All of them are pretty easily dispelled.
Mid water the SMB is already up. Can't get quicker than that.

There certainly are complications. For starts you've got 2 of everything. Its for sure extra stuff, and you really dont need extra stuff unless you've made poor equipment choices.

Back
Top Bottom