Right or wrong? Diver kills Tiger Shark.

My thought are (pick as many as you like):

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thalassamania

Diving Polymath
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
On a large pile of smokin' A'a, the most isolated
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Last edited:
tough call, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that the shark was actually being aggressive

if he had shot a series of sharks with a similar story then it would anger me

I agree, give him the benefit of doubt. Seeing how people panic at the sight of a nurse shark, I can imagine the adrenalin surge seeing a 12 ft. tiger circling. We have tigers in our region, and though I'd love to see one, I don't want to see one close.

I give the guy credit for finishing the job and not just bolting to a boat and getting the hell outa there.

I dont see a video but the story is interesting.

While on a skin dive, he felt he had to kill the shark that was circling him and his spear fishing friend. So instead of just getting in the boat after coming up for air, it was more "humane" to spend 2 hours trying to kill the shark that eventually ended with an attempted drowning and a stabbing in the skull of the shark. Hum, seems a little cruel to me. Kind of like the old electric shock used to issue the death penalty to the condemned. Sometimes it would take multiple shockings to get someone to die. Seemed excessive so it was banned in most states. This killing of the shark seems excessive as well. Maybe it was less cruel to kill it after the multiple stabbings and spearings that it took to rope the shark to be dragged to the boat. I don't know since I was not there. But I do think that it appears that this guy did what was right for the situation that he was in. So I would have to say, give him the benefit of the doubt.

The pictures are pretty amazing for a shark attack/killing situation. At least they appear to be amazing to me and less stressful than I thought it would look like. Maybe the motion pictures make is look worse but all of those scenes in Jaws is what I had in mind. :)

When you enter the underwater world with the intent of hunting for tuna you should not be surprized when a shark arrives. If the shark is menacing, then protecting yourself is the right way to go. The challenge is in identifying when the shark is becoming a danger to you and not looking for other food instead.

Judgement call, but two hours to kill the shark seems to me to be a bit opportunistic in that it allowed for some photos to be taken.

Everything that I can interperet tells me there is WAY more to this story than is being shown. He killed that shark under circumstances other than what was described IMO.

For the sake of this poll, I say the diver is at fault, not the shark.

I dont see a video but the story is interesting.

While on a skin dive, he felt he had to kill the shark that was circling him and his spear fishing friend. So instead of just getting in the boat after coming up for air, it was more "humane" to spend 2 hours trying to kill the shark that eventually ended with an attempted drowning and a stabbing in the skull of the shark. Hum, seems a little cruel to me. Kind of like the old electric shock used to issue the death penalty to the condemned. Sometimes it would take multiple shockings to get someone to die. Seemed excessive so it was banned in most states. This killing of the shark seems excessive as well. Maybe it was less cruel to kill it after the multiple stabbings and spearings that it took to rope the shark to be dragged to the boat. I don't know since I was not there. But I do think that it appears that this guy did what was right for the situation that he was in.
According to the diver, the first defensive shot he took went through the gills. So the question is, what do you do after that?

I wasn't there and if a tiger shark truly was circling me and ready to attack, I would want my buddy to help me. I am disturbed at the numerous spearings and the 2 hour ordeal.

I wasn't there and if a tiger shark truly was circling me and ready to attack, I would want my buddy to help me. I am disturbed at the numerous spearings and the 2 hour ordeal.

I would want my buddy to help me BUT in this case, all of the spears were put into the shark as the shark was swimming away from the person. And, there was conveniently a photographer in the water. Too much smells funny.

In this case,tough call,
We enter a world where we should not be(being air breathers)
Most of the time we kill what we don't understand.
In this case a free diver saved a freind(while free diving)
This guy must be one tough cooky,killing a 12ft tiger,by hand.

To bad I can't see any video,I gave the diver the benifit of the doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom