Right or wrong? Diver kills Tiger Shark.

My thought are (pick as many as you like):

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that the article goes on aboutv "the fight for survival", but the pics merely show a shark "fighting for survival". Had there been at least a single picture showing the shark "aggressively circling" or some other evidence that at one point it was the diver who was in danger, then I would probably show more sympathy. The pics just don't quite match the story... which is badly written IMO. As others have mentioned, I feel we are not being told the whole story.

Would you people feel different if these same guys took out a grizzly bear that charged them? I wouldn't.

I would feel exactly the same as I do now if the there was somebody there to document the whole "attack" with shots of the bear on top of "you" (the person) and then you on top of the bear BUT all shots from the bow and arrow were to the bears ass. I stand by my judgement. Perhaps this is why I am not a judge :D.

Also, I just saw these guys on CNN, this attack occured last June... I guess they needed the extra time to edit the video so they wouldn't look bad.... but I also found this pic....

Fish Photos
tiger1.JPG

I think it was all setup for a news story and a brave man trying to impress a girl onshore and show he's a man/ Reminds me of the time I was visciously attacked by a manatee.

Not having been a witness it's really hard to judge. As said before the facts are a bit suspicious, as it is hard to believe a lone shark would attack 3 people, or that if so attacked one person would calmly continue to photogenic the scene.

It is definitely contrary the behavior of most predators to continue an attack when they are seriously injured by their intended "prey". It is natural for the predator to slink away to nurse their wounds when an attack results in them suffering serious wounds, without "bringing down their prey". On the other hand if their initial attack does result in serious injury to their intended prey then an injured predator may continue their assault, ignoring their injuries in the frenzy, with the expectation of success. There are exceptions, such as rabies that can cause an over ride in an animal's natural instinct for survival, but it would be extremely rare for an animal to deliberately continue a highly unsuccessful and suicidal attack.

If, on the other hand if such an unprovoked attack as described was to occur I support anyone's right to kill in self defense. If the animal is critically injured in this defense then it would be the obligation of the person to humanely end the suffering. That is the story told by these three "hunters".

I wasn't there so all I can do is wonder, and withhold my judgment. (But that does not mean that I am not more than a bit suspicious of the whole story. Almost sounds like this "hunter" was deliberately "testing" himself against this fearsome predator, and the story was just cover......)

Tigers are aggressive, so I have no doubt that he did the right thing shooting the shark to defend his buddy.

I obviously haven't measured this shark, but it doesn't appear to be a 12 ft animal, although it's still large and dangerous.

Bratface:
I wasn't there and if a tiger shark truly was circling me and ready to attack, I would want my buddy to help me. I am disturbed at the numerous spearings and the 2 hour ordeal.

I agree. There are few things more frightening than having a large shark decide you look like lunch.

The concept that the shark was wounded and needed to be finished off is not one with which I agree. Had it been a land animal, yes, but fish routinely recover from injuries that would easily kill a land animal. After the initial shot, the wise course of action would be to leave the water.

ScubaSteve001:
BUT in this case, all of the spears were put into the shark as the shark was swimming away from the person.

That's not unusual. The first shot was placed as the shark was circling, the others were in an attempt to "put the shark out of its misery." Misguided perhaps, but well intentioned, I'm sure.

ScubaSteve001:
And, there was conveniently a photographer in the water.

From the photos I've seen, the photographer got in the water only after the shark was dead.

helimvee:
If that is what happened, as pointed out above, why is the spear in the gills positioned as if it was fired from behind the shark.

Having been in a similar situation with Bull Sharks, I believe I can answer that question. Memory plays tricks on us during periods of great stress. Parts are very vivid. Other parts are almost impossible to recall. Sequence of events are not exactly clear. Unless someone in the boat clocked the event, you can disregard the "2 hours." In times like this minutes seem like hours. I don't know these guys or anything about them, but while I disagree with one choice they made, they have my respect.

mario_speedwagon:
They really felt bad about it, check out the photos they took on top.....Fish Photos

Check the captions, that's a different shark and different people. Even if it were them, so what? I'm pretty sure I'd take photos if I were them.

then based their decision on what he though the critter might do... not that it was attacking but might attack.

The description I read was an attack.

alpanian:
Had there been at least a single picture showing the shark "aggressively circling" or some other evidence that at one point it was the diver who was in danger, then I would probably show more sympathy.

That's silly. It's extremely unlikely anyone had a camera in the water when it started. Should they have asked the shark to wait while they went for a camera to record the event?

gypsyjim:
As said before the facts are a bit suspicious, as it is hard to believe a lone shark would attack 3 people

I suggest you read the international shark attack file.

gypsyjim:
or that if so attacked one person would calmly continue to photogenic the scene.

It doesn't look like that happened. It looks like all the photos were taken after the shark was dead.

Geeze, you guys are tough. One guy doesn't believe them because there aren't enough photos, another doesn't believe them because there are photos. These guys can't win.

gypsyjim:
It is definitely contrary the behavior of most predators to continue an attack when they are seriously injured by their intended "prey".

True, but that fits the story as told. It is not alleged that the shark continued the attack.

Gee thanks Walter... You left me nothing to reply to - you "stole" all my replies. j/k :) I wholeheartedly agree with Walter here on every account.

I've seen Bulls acting aggressively and I've seen them "just swimming along" (though a diver I was with panicked on the latter). I think if you are paying attention, you will know the difference. These fellas mentioned with the Tiger don't appear to be shark killers. They've been diving quite a while with no incidences like this particular one.

Perhaps I am callous but I cannot give these guys that much credit. Even after Walter's knowledgeable account, my brain cannot get past what I see and think. This is just an internet board and not a jury of their peers so if I think something different, it does not matter.

ScubaSteve001:
I have never been part of a shark attack (or any form of shark aggression for that matter)

I sincerely hope you never are, but if it ever should happen I suspect your outlook might change. Having large aggressive sharks coming right at you does have a profound impact. In the meantime, I respect your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom