Rinsing and storing gear on cruise ships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's 22 lbs straight vertical pull (ie: magnet on ceiling and load hanging straight down). If you put the magnet on a wall, it becomes a perpendicular load and you lose *considerable* capacity. Also a sopping wet waterlogged wetsuit can be quite heavy.

Also the hook on the 22 lbs magnets might be too small to be of any use. The magnets are very strong and deceptively small. The 60lbs ones work fine for me.

magnet.jpg

I bought the 40 lb ones. I'll test them before the trip, but I'm thinking I'll hang a horizontal 2-ft piece of 1/2" PVC pipe from a pair of the hooks to create a makeshift hanger bar. Then hand a BCD and a wetsuit from the bar. I'm hoping the rated 2 x 40 lb of the magnets is enough to hold a wet BCD and a wet 3mm wetsuit.

I'll give an update, with pics, after I test them.

"Mommy mommy! Why is the weird frog man running around the water park?" :)

At the very least, I would strongly encourage you to get your own regulator, over any dive computer purchase, since the hygienic condition of rental gear can range from potentially pristine to, more commonly, in my experience, a third world hell hole.

Since you're on a liner, I don't even have to mention the ubiquitous presence of norovirus.

While taking microbiology at university, one of our assignments was to swab everyday items and to run streak plates, in order to isolate and culture whatever we happened to find. A friend was then working at a local dive shop and we tested doorknobs; some random rental gear, all of which had received, so it was claimed, a cursory rinse. From ten or twelve regulators (via mouthpieces and second stage interiors), we isolated three strains of E. coli; Clostridium; Salmonella; Bifidobacterium; Cryptosporidium; Staphylococcus; and the lovely Candida, the causative agent of genital yeast infections, and thrush.

The handle and seat of the toilet at that late shop, along with the door knob, was actually cleaner.

Need I mention any of the rental wetsuit results?

And yet....and yet... tens of millions (27 million plus last year) people cruise every year and an infinitesimal number of them get sick. Thousands of people dive every week using rental gear and very few get sick. Just saying that while you can cut the odds of getting sick by bringing your own stuff, the chances are pretty slim anyway.

Back
Top Bottom