rinsing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonk999

Contributor
Reaction score
I vaguely remember reading that when rinsing or soaking your 2nd stage, you should not press the purge button if the regulator is not pressurized, so as not to get water in places where it shouldn't be.

I was recently in my LDS getting the purge diaphram replaced on my Aqualung Titan LX, per their recall. Replacement required a small bit of disassembly that showed I hadn't been rinsing out the regulator well enough, since there was a bit of corrosion inside. The shop guy recommended that while soaking, I should depress the purge button, even if the reg wasn't pressurized.

What's the scoop on good rinsing technique?

-Simon

Simon. I was taught the same thing in training you were. I have not had my gear that long so I too am interested in hearing replies to your post from the scuba gentry among us.

The issue is the concern of water running up the second stage hose into the first stage. You could hold the first stage above the water rinse the reg and depress the button then just make sure to hang the reg lower than the first stage to drain and dry.

Tom

Hey all,

Just rinsing is fine for most of your dive gear... but not your regs.

Soak that Second Stage in warm water for fifteen minutes (First Stage too) and then gently rinse it off. This will help dissolve the salt that is trying to destroy it! After rinsing however, it is always advisable to put it on a tank of air and purge any water that MAY have gotten past that valve. Dry gently and leave the regs out in the open AC if possible for a day or two, to let it thoroughly dry out. Then put the moisture barrier back on the First stage, make sure you have taken all of the pressure off of any adjustment valves it may have, and then put them away in your regulator bag. If your reg has a purge depressor lock, then use that as well.(PS... PLEASE make sure the vapor barrier is in place when you either soak or rinse the second stage!)

PPS… don’t forget to soak and rinse your SPG as well… The swivel can be hard to get to sometimes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom