RIP Bob Ling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mossman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Bob Ling had over 1,000 dives in Cozumel and was known to many on the island. I had the chance to meet him and dive with him during the Carnival after Hurricane Wilma after years of "knowing" him through countless interactions on rec.scuba. I was very impressed by his ability to walk up and get us a prime table at Prima without a reservation even though there was an hour wait. He had a habit of making solo bounce dives every so often to 200' with the complicity of the dive master, which was also impressive though a bit scary. The jaccuzzi suite at Suites Bahia was his favorite.

Besides Bob's Cozumel history, he testified as an expert witness (statistics) in a product-liability lawsuit against Uwatec.

I was searching for Bob's name for a different reason and unfortunately came across the following obit:
Obituary for Robert Ling, Hamilton County | timesfreepress.com

"Robert F. Ling, 72, of Chattanooga, died Saturday, July 30, 2011, at
his home."

RIP, Bob. I'll miss you.

Bob Ling had over 1,000 dives in Cozumel and was known to many on the island. I had the chance to meet him and dive with him during the Carnival after Hurricane Wilma after years of "knowing" him through countless interactions on rec.scuba. I was very impressed by his ability to walk up and get us a prime table at Prima without a reservation even though there was an hour wait. He had a habit of making solo bounce dives every so often to 200' with the complicity of the dive master, which was also impressive though a bit scary. The jaccuzzi suite at Suites Bahia was his favorite.

Besides Bob's Cozumel history, he testified as an expert witness (statistics) in a product-liability lawsuit against Uwatec.

I was searching for Bob's name for a different reason and unfortunately came across the following obit:
Obituary for Robert Ling, Hamilton County | timesfreepress.com

"Robert F. Ling, 72, of Chattanooga, died Saturday, July 30, 2011, at
his home."

RIP, Bob. I'll miss you.
How bizarre. I hadn't thought about him in years, but you and I were just talking about him.

How bizarre. I hadn't thought about him in years, but you and I were just talking about him.
I hope we didn't jinx him.

It's also bizarre that he only died 12 days ago, given that I haven't heard from him in years and just decided to do a search because the "How Deep on a Single Tank" thread in the Basic forum reminded me of Bob's 200' Cozumel habit.

Ling was a good diver and really knew his stuff. He used to live in the old Rec.Scuba., That's for sure. I went looking for the old newsgroup awhile back, but then decided I didn't care.

Keep them bubbles going up, Bob.

I found out about Bob's death a week or so ago. I was very choked up about it because Bob and I have never lost touch throughout the years. I tried writing about it several times but I just never had the heart to sit down and write this before.

He was a good friend - a very good friend - even if he was a bit rough at times. He was a Professor at Clemson University in the Math Department and was very accomplished at his chosen profession. It was this training in combination with his scuba experience that made him uniquely qualified to take part in the legal case against UWatec.

I took part in many conversations with him not only on rec.scuba but on scuba-l - the scuba mailing list that existed a while back. I believe it is still archived somewhere as are many of the early internet mailing lists. I didn't always agree with him and I knew that sometimes I just had to stop because he would never let go of an argument - that was just the way he was.

He told me a while back that his diving career was coming to a close and just earlier this year he told me that he probably wouldn't be diving again. I felt sad when he said that. I never dove with Bob, but he hosted our family once in Cozumel when we arrived and our room wasn't ready at our resort yet. I don't remember how that happened - my wife always makes the reservations, but it happened. Anyhow, we spent the night in his room at the Bahia Suites in "The Penthouse" (as he referred to it).

Back in April or May he sent out an email to many of his close friends saying he was getting rid of some gear and asking if anyone wanted any. I told him that whatever he was asking, just let me know. He was actually GIVING it away so I told him I would take what anyone else would not. Lo and behold, he sent me a scubapro regulator (a bit old, but scubapro never goes bad), and two EDGE computers (the BIG BRICKS) - one of which is museum quality. If I can find a museum that would take it I MIGHT consider donating it.

Anyhow, I just wanted to post this and say... "Good bye Bob - I will always consider you to be one of my friends"...

Carl Heinzl

What was his handle on Rec Scuba--Large Grouper or something?
Used to enjoy his rants towards travel agents postings.

What was his handle on Rec Scuba--Large Grouper or something?
Used to enjoy his rants towards travel agents postings.

Bob's original 'Reef Fish' handle was an acronym from one of his Clemson email addresses:

"Reef Fish (Large Nassau Grouper)" <RFLNG@CLEMSON.EDU>

He later picked up a similar 'Nom De Plume' with a Yahoo Account that he used after he retired, which he used on <rec.scuba>.

-hh

I just read this today. Very sad. I did have the chance to met him in person twice in Cozumel. Both chance encounters. I am glad I got to meet him and in those two brief encounters change my opinion of the rec.scuba Reef Fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom