Roatan Best Diving/Best Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On this board, all-inclusive fans are like The Borg, but it's not the only way to go, not by a long shot.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Who ever said this was the only way to go??? I'm sorry, but I definetly didn't read this!:D:D

Honnestly, when I was researching my Roatan dive trip I didn't find a single operator that scheduled 4 dives a day. 3 was the norm. This said, it was a long time ago and I certainly didn,t research all the operators. Can you please share which operator(s) this is? I'm curious and I'm sure it would help out others who are researching for their trips.

As for cost effectiveness, well why don't we do a quick comparison here? I'm honnestly curious to see how they compare. Lets take a 7 night/6 days of diving (typical), double occupancy (which is the norm for pricing) stay. For someone wanting 4 and/or 5 dives a day.

In the case of Cocoview, that's about 1000$ plus or minus a bit, depending on the season, including everything except for alcohol. In the case of Fantasy island, that's 700$, including alcohol (beer and wine). So that takes care of the AIs side of it (didn't mention Anthoney's since it's more expensive, but someone could add their prices just for comparison).

Now for the Operators side of things. I'll let others more knowledgeable than me fill this out. Food, accomodations, diving, transportation if needed...

I'm curious how this will pan out. I might just be surprised!:D

But nevertheless, no matter how more expensive, or how cheaper, whatever suits you best is what you should choose! No right or wrong. Just what's good for you!

Cheers!:coffee:

As for cost effectiveness, well why don't we do a quick comparison here? Lets take a 7 night/6 days of diving (typical), double occupancy (which is the norm for pricing) stay. For someone wanting 4 and/or 5 dives a day.

In the case of Cocoview, that's about 1000$ plus or minus a bit, depending on the season, including everything except for alcohol.

Lets see, for $1000 at CCV, you're getting enough time to do 5 a day without a hassle. If you do every dive, you're getting 27 dives. That should be part of the apples to apples mathematics.

I would also want to hear the non-AI dive scheduling vs time allotted to eat (and where/how that is done).

Again, the downside to FIBR and CCV is that it is a long cab ride to party on the West End. A real consideration for some.

Okie dokie. Here's how it works out for the places I went. I haven't been to an AI, so I have no idea if the rooms, diving experience or food are better or worse:

Coconut Tree Divers does 4 dives a day and at least one night dive a week. They're awesome. When I was there I did 15 dives without going to the same place twice, they were totally professional and cared a lot about both safety and the reef. $30/tank with equipment if you do more than 10 dives, $45/night dive. To do 27 dives (4 per day for six days, 2 on your last day and 1 night dive) it is $825.

The Posada Arco Iris is very nice and a 5 min walk from Coconut Tree. For two people, staying for a week, it is $153-$175/person including tax, depending on the season.

So, it's $978-$1000 per person with 27 dives.

Cocoview, including tax, is $1100-1333 per person depending on the season (according to their web site). If you add BCD and reg rental, which I would have had to do, it is $1258-$1490.

So, the difference is $490-280 for that scenario. $280 is a pretty good food allowance for the area, even if you include drinks.

If you dive a little less, like you take an afternoon or morning off, it quickly gets more cost effective. If you were to do five more night dives, you wouldn't have much $ left for food. (When I was there I actually did 15 dives and my total was $640, which is $850 less than if I stayed at Coco view (not including food, but fat as I am I didn't eat that much).)

Which is basically to say that you can dive a lot, conveniently, without staying at an all inclusive. Depending on how much you dive, I think it's likely to be less expensive. It may not be the best deal in all cases, though. If you're on a budget or might take even a day off, or not do every dive, you can probably do better in town. If you want to dive a lot, it mostly depends on what kind of experience you want.

I forgot to add: you probably have a little more than an hour for lunch, maybe an hour and a half. There's a restaurant above the shop, a great little treehouse one above and behind the shop, a bunch of places within a couple minutes walk and one day a week a guy barbecues by Woody's. Trust me, I don't skip lunch!

Last edited:
Marcaumarc- you make a good case for how this type of ala-carte day-dive op would work well for someone in need of a mellow vacation. You were situated right near (most) all of the better restaurants, certainly near the liveliest and best bars and party scene, good dive ops and dive sites not terribly far away. You do have to help explain how the posted boat schedule flows throughout the day... I took my best guess below.

Coconut Tree Divers does 4 dives a day and at least one night dive a week.

A 9:00 boat with two tanks, that should put you back in, when? Let's see....

9:20 on mooring, in water (figuring 20 minutes to get there and get tied up)
10:20 all out (assuming a 1 hr BT)
10:50 min surface interval
11:50 all out, 20 minutes to get back and disembark makes it
12:10 back at dock

dash for 1/2 hour Lunch?

1:00 afternoon boat dive leaves
1:20 on station
2:20 all out
2:40 return to dock

-unload and... ?

2:30 next boat leaves .......<- Marcaumarc...please help clarify the reality of the daily schedule![/FONT][/I]
2:50 on station
3:50 all out
4:10 back at dock

1 additional night dive scheduled each week, one. For a minimum of four at a price of $45

Regular dives are $30 each in quantity.

Okay, some quick apples to apples.

CCV you get 27 dives in a week if you hit it hard. By the ala carte price at CoCoNut Tree, that would total up to what would cost you $810 in Coconut Tree Divers Dollars to keep up with CCV.

So, by using that math, and it's hard to figure how CCV could feed you and give you a comfy room on stilts over the reef for $190 dollars (that would be $27/day). Somehow they manage to stay booked and solvent. But your math was apples to oranges, actually CCV does it for a lot less!

They're awesome. When I was there I did 15 dives

Therin lies the crux of the biscuit. If you are diving 15 dives in a week, the choice you made is perfectly logical. Anybody doing 15 dives in one week's stay at CoCoView is subject to serious scrutiny. :crafty:

without going to the same place twice, they were totally professional and cared a lot about both safety and the reef. $30/tank with equipment if you do more than 10 dives, $45/night dive. To do 27 dives (4 per day for six days, 2 on your last day and 1 night dive) it is $825.

No, sorry, that math is faulty.

Say you arrive in Saturday- most do (no diving recommended after dehydrating on flights) You could dive at Coconut Tree as much as four each on Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur, and 1/2 day on Friday, plus that one night dive. That total is 23, check the calendar and the calculations~ Remember, no diving "on the last day".

The Posada Arco Iris is very nice and a 5 min walk from Coconut Tree. For two people, staying for a week, it is $153-$175/person including tax, depending on the season.

The standard room is $42 to $48 depending on season. They want $15 per day extra for air conditioning. Let's call it $60 with air conditioning. Posada Arco Iris - Standard Room Looks like $210 (per pax/dbl occ) for the week, anyway, apples to apples. The room is really $60 per day for two, if you compare apples. $210 per person per week.

It is a lovely place Arco Iris. But at CCV, from your room to diving in the house reef at CCV involves you falling off the steps of your Cabana. The dive op is 45 seconds walk from most any room. Your example it is 5 minutes walk. At 27 dives x 2 trips back and forth = almost two hours more per week walking back and forth. Oopsie, forgot something in the room? Apples to apples.

So, it's $978-$1000 per person with 27 dives.

Again, no. 23 dives

Cocoview, including tax, is $1100-1333 per person depending on the season (according to their web site).

Sure it is- IF you want over the water cabanas on stilts. But let's compare apples to apples. Posada Arco Iris? Compare it to the Oceanfront Rooms at CCV. $950 to $1150 (with free air con) depending upon season, not Holidays.

Let's do some math...

+$1050 (avg CCV price)
- $ 810 (the cost of the same diving if done at Coconut tree in your example)
= $240 per person for room, food and airport transfers

So... for $90 per week per person extra at CCV- you get all your meals cooked for you, so all you have to do is dive.
You still have to buy food in your ala carte scenario. That's $12.85 per person per day if you use the $90 number that CCV would be extra, as above paragraph. Plus the time to acquire and prepare or eat it- between a tight boat schedule.

The bottom line: Using your numbers, a room with air conditioning and doing 23 dives, that's $210 (room) + $735 (diving) = $945, but when you remember that CCV allows 27 dives, the math should be adjusted to show $735 + $810 = $1545, if you were comparing apples to apples. And speaking of apples- you still have no food, and now you're paying $500 more, apples to apples.

If you add BCD and reg rental, which I would have had to do, it is $1258-$1490.

$300? Jeepers. Rent a BC & Regs with computers at CoCoView for $158. figuring that in, you are now paying $68 MORE to dive less. And you still have to buy food.

I forgot to add: you probably have a little more than an hour for lunch, maybe an hour and a half.

So how does that boat schedule work? Doesn't seem like that time schedule makes sense if you were to try and do every dive and eat as well.

Apples to apples, here's a typical day at CCV:

8:30 am boat dive leaves
08:45 on site
08:50 in water
09:50 last out (1 hr max BT is requested of guests)
-surface interval-
10:20 dive #2
11:20 exit
-dawdle, sunbathe, email, snooze
12:00 lunch
-dawdle, snooze, email, sunbathe, shop with the visiting juried merchants
2:00 pm second boat of day departs
2:15 pm on site
3:15 last out
-SI, move boat-
3:45 4th dive begins
4:45 exit
-sunbathe, email, snooze, dawdle
6:20 dinner begins
8:00 night dive (#5 of the day)
10:00 pm or 06:00 am, 6th dive

And FIBR is even cheaper.

Please doodle out the day at Posada and Coconut Tree. How does that chronologically work if you are doing all dives possible?

Last edited:
I'm sorry you're so confused, RoatanMan. There were days when we did four dives a day, with plenty of time for lunch. There's really no point in telling me it's impossible. That would just mean that I have done the impossible.

Anyhow, to clarify, a couple things: the Posada also gives a 10% discount if you stay for 7 days or more. There is 16% tax on the entire package cost at Coco View, per their web site. You cannot stay there for $950. I used $158 as the gear rental figure when I added it up above, RoatanMan just couldn't follow the addition.

Anyhow, all I'm saying, to anyone that is considering a trip to Roatan and deciding how to do it:

- If someone tells you you can't easily do 4 dives a day without being at and AI, it's a lie, or they really don't know what they are talking about. I have done it, and it is easy.
- If someone tells you it is cheaper at 2.2 dives per day to stay at an all inclusive, also totally untrue.
- If you want to go to Roatan and do a lot of diving, but can't afford an all-inclusive, do a little research because there are other options.

And, obviously, be wary of people who tell you the only way you can do something is their way. They are usually wrong, and sometimes have an agenda. (Not that I think RoatanMan is on the payroll or something.) To me, it seems like there are plenty of good reasons to want to choose an AI without spreading disinformation about the alternatives, but hey, that's just me.

I'm sorry you're so confused, RoatanMan. There were days when we did four dives a day, with plenty of time for lunch. There's really no point in telling me it's impossible. That would just mean that I have done the impossible.

I only asked you to do one thing:

Just as I did, please list out the times that the events occur. It's an easy comparison then.

And, obviously, be wary of people who tell you the only way you can do something is their way. They are usually wrong, and sometimes have an agenda. (Not that I think RoatanMan is on the payroll or something.) To me, it seems like there are plenty of good reasons to want to choose an AI without spreading disinformation about the alternatives, but hey, that's just me.

As there are excellent reasons to select a non-AI, as I have always pointed out.

What about that time line, then? That would make it simple. Can you sketch one out like I did? Please?

1st Boat leaves: 9 am
Returns after 2 dives: _____

2nd boat leaves: 1 pm
returns after 1 dive: _____

3rd Boat leaves: 2:30 pm
returns after 1 dive: _____

just fill in the blanks

And, obviously, be wary of people who tell you the only way you can do something is their way.

Once again Marcau, with all due respect, who said this?:shakehead: I didn't read this a single time in all these posts. If it's there, I'm sorry; I must have missed it. But I never got the impression anybody was sayibng you must do it this way; there is no alternative. Just that in their oppinion the more interesting way to dive TONs (regarding time schedules and pricing) was the AIs.

Now R-man took the time to explode his view of the costs and time schedule, as well as what he saw was incorrect with your first calculations. He even invited you to bring
additional information to clarify some aspects he wasn't totally clear about (like the real Coconut tree schedule, from someone who was there recently). So why don't you take the same route and explode the real schedule (from your experience) and calculations that you come to (in other words where R-man is wrong in his calculations). Show us where he is wrong.

Personally, I understood most of it and don't see problems with his calculations, except for the "The bottom line: Using your numbers, a room with air conditioning and doing 23 dives, that's $210 (room) + $735 (diving) = $945, but when you remember that CCV allows 27 dives, the math should be adjusted to show $735 + $810 = $1545, if you were comparing apples to apples." part which I really didn't grasp. :coffee: (hey, it's early!:D:D)

Also, you are using the CCV tax addition to compare with the Coconut prices where there is no mention of tax. All businesses on Roatan are supposed to pay tax. Now I have a very hard time believing that a reputable operation like Coconut doesn't pay the taxes in Roatan. Are the prices at Coconut tree including tax? Or is it extra? In other words, if I show up with a credit card to pay, will I be billed 16% extra? If so, this either needs to be added to the calculations, or we need to drop the tax in the Cocoview calculation. :popcorn:

When you do the same calculations for FIBR, it's very clear it's a much better deal for the money. Even better than Cocoview. But it really comes down to what R-man has been saying, and that with which I agree (having not yet seen proof otherwise). If you are a hard core diver and want to dive tons (yes, some people want 4-5 dives a day), the AIs are the logical choice (for cost as well as schedule). And no, 15 dives in a week, which is a totally different story, is not considered tons by most! I'm talking about "liveaboard" style tons here; sleep-dive-eat-sleep-dive-eat... etc...!

Personally, I'm still open to changing my mind about this if shown it's not so. But so far, you have not been able to do that.:popcorn: So far your end just doesn't add up.

I skipped most of the posts, so if this has been discussed my apology. Check out The Mayan Princess. Nice condos, nice pool and dive shop on site. Best beach on the island. Can't go wrong.

Bruce

I came here to give my personal experience so future divers considering Roatan would have a better understanding of what the options are. To me, that's what makes this forum worthwhile. I also found that, for whatever reason, some people here make inaccurate claims about diving with independent shops in Roatan, even though they have no actual experience. Roatan is an awesome place to dive, and it is very affordable, both diving and in general. There are plenty of options to create the trip you want.

If anyone is considering going to Roatan and has questions about going the hotel/independent shop route, PM me and I can try to answer them or point you towards resources online.

So, having said that, I'm getting out of this thread because it's kind of ridiculous. I will say check with your dive operator to see if tax is included in their pricing or additional, I think it is often included. As far as what time I had lunch each day, RoatanMan, if you've done over 3,000 dives and have never done 4 in one day with time for lunch, that's odd. Or maybe you're just being...the kind of person I wouldn't really want to sit down and have a beer with. It takes all kinds.

Happy diving, everyone! If you get the chance, go to Roatan! I'll be back there in May.

I came here to give my personal experience so future divers considering Roatan would have a better understanding of what the options are. To me, that's what makes this forum worthwhile. I also found that, for whatever reason, some people here make inaccurate claims about diving with independent shops in Roatan, even though they have no actual experience. Roatan is an awesome place to dive, and it is very affordable, both diving and in general. There are plenty of options to create the trip you want.

If anyone is considering going to Roatan and has questions about going the hotel/independent shop route, PM me and I can try to answer them or point you towards resources online.

So, having said that, I'm getting out of this thread because it's kind of ridiculous. I will say check with your dive operator to see if tax is included in their pricing or additional, I think it is often included. As far as what time I had lunch each day, RoatanMan, if you've done over 3,000 dives and have never done 4 in one day with time for lunch, that's odd. Or maybe you're just being...the kind of person I wouldn't really want to sit down and have a beer with. It takes all kinds.

Happy diving, everyone! If you get the chance, go to Roatan! I'll be back there in May.

And you did that but from what I've read if anyone is trying to slant things one direction it's YOU and not the "supposed AI zealots". It's been said REPEATEDLY by Roatanman and codman and anyone else in this thread who's screen name ends in "man" that BOTH OPTIONS ARE VIABLE BASED ON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO!

Your first assertion that staying in West End and diving through a shop v an AI is 1/2 the cost is clearly not the case based on YOUR numbers. Best case it appeared to me to be a wash. I don't have to rent my own gear, so per YOUR NUMBERS it would be $978-1000 non-AI and $1100-1300 AI (CCV). So someplace between $122 - $300 but you didn't include food OR airport transfers. Tax may add a couple bucks to the AI side but you certainly have to pay tax on both for lodging at a minimum. Current exchange rate is 19:1 and I found a Pura Vida menu on line. If you eat 3 meals a day there breakfast would average about 112 lps per day * 7 = $42, lunch and dinner would average about 280lps including tax * 14 = $206. So total of about $250.

I don't know what else you could be looking at but when you add a VERY conservative $250 to the non-AI rates you get $1228 - $1250 which is pretty much a wash when compared to $1100 - $1300. Especially because we still haven't included airport transfer.

Seems to me you're making a really good argument for going AI...:D

Back
Top Bottom