Roatan Best Diving/Best Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We stayed at the Posada Arco Iris and it was great. Not fancy, but comfortable and relatively inexpensive. The rooms are in several buildings mixed in with trees, so we didn't really need AC, although we had it. In the front is the Argentinian Grill where you can get a pretty good steak.

Any feedback on Fosters Resort?
Anyone stayed there?

Best Diving/Best Resort :crafty:

I know this has been gone over here. I have used the search function and looked at all the places. I am planning on a trip in early May with a Dive Buddy. We like to Dive, both of us competent. I just did a week in the BVIs and dove every day there. Both of us single guys, 40 something.

1) Want to be someplace NICE. I realize there is no 4 seasons on Roatan, and I am not expecting that. But I do want a place that is not noisy, that is well kept, has good food and good service.

Sounds like you want an AI, then.

1a) Pool and nice beach are important.

I'm sure that your "search" limited that to very few places, then.

2) Would prefer a place that has extremely competent dive center on site Looking to do 3-4 dives a day, with a few night dives as well.

You have really limited the search further. Most of the resorts and ops have first rate guys, but your desire for 3-4 a day further confirms a dive centered AI.

2a) Dive center next door would be OK, as long as we can leave gear there to dry etc.

3) Prefer Boat diving............No Cattle boats.

There are very few real shore dives on Roatan, 99%+ are done by boat.

4) Would want Boat Captain to know best dives and be extremely competent.

Wouldn't we all. He might even take you to them long about Wednesday. Understand that due to the geography, he will be limited to North & West vs South.

5) Close to night life and local restaurants.

That could mean West End primarily, then West Bay or also some of the North and Western AI's such as AKR, BIBR or IoLR.

Would West Bay area be best for us? We did trip to Key Largo 2 years ago and changed hotels because first place was a dump (more like a motel). We wound up at a resort hotel and were much happier.

What you want simply does not exist on Roatan. The closest was FIBR with absolute exception of #5 and to some lesser extent, #3b

In later threads you asked about Fosters- it's a nice resort but meets few of your criteria.

Otherwise? :search: again, and believe what you read.

What is the best area to be located for closeness to best dive sites? I like wrecks and don't mind going to 100'.

I, ummm, ahhhh

IMnSHO: The best diving is on the South shore, if you are an "advanced diver" with perfected buoyancy and excellent observational skills. Otherwise you might think it sucks. The North & West dives are generally deeper and have more easily seen and easy name-recognition larger fishies.

There are two readily accessed placed monster wrecks on the North side that will easily take you into your 100 foot range. Consider AKR and BIBR for closeness, but any West End dive op will take you on by.

On the South side are three very shallow wrecks at 65', 60~35', and 35' depths. They are a 65' shrimper, a 140' tanker ship and a DC3 aircraft. FIBR & CCV and a very few other limited operations.

Everybody comes to Roatan and has to dive Mary's Place.

Wrecks and 100 foot dives are not the top reasons that are best to have to decide to come to Roatan. Well, maybe they are. You may well love Mary's Place. Alas- there are NO resorts near there that meet your criteria, but closest would be Barefoot Key. http://www.barefootcay.com/Activities/tabid/420/Default.aspx

Last edited:
Roatanman, thanks very much for your post. I am managing my expectations here and as I said in other posts I realize I can not get everything I wanted in one place. So I am re-thinking what I should expect.

The way I see it I want to go to Roatan and experience the Island for what it is, not what I want it to be. So I will go with an open mind and open attitude. I have heard and read so many great things about the Island that I am sure I will have a great time.

Some people look at vacations with the attitude that everything has to be perfection or else it is a terrible trip. Hey, I am just grateful that I can get away for a week to someplace nice.

was there 2 weeks ago
best place for diving is CoCo View, boat dives, shore dives, night dives, good dive shop, all about diving
Fantasy Island is going down hill, letting the "upkeep slide"
If you want upscale, pools and gift shops, etc., Antoneys Key Resort
I go do dive, so it's always CoCo View

I know this has been gone over here. I have used the search function and looked at all the places. I am planning on a trip in early May with a Dive Buddy. We like to Dive, both of us competent. I just did a week in the BVIs and dove every day there. Both of us single guys, 40 something.

1) Want to be someplace NICE. I realize there is no 4 seasons on Roatan, and I am not expecting that. But I do want a place that is not noisy, that is well kept, has good food and good service.

1a) Pool and nice beach are important.

2) Would prefer a place that has extremely competent dive center on site Looking to do 3-4 dives a day, with a few night dives as well.

2a) Dive center next door would be OK, as long as we can leave gear there to dry etc.

3) Prefer Boat diving............No Cattle boats.

4) Would want Boat Captain to know best dives and be extremely competent.

5) Close to night life and local restaurants.

Would West Bay area be best for us? We did trip to Key Largo 2 years ago and changed hotels because first place was a dump (more like a motel). We wound up at a resort hotel and were much happier.

2. West end beach will probably give you what you want - Couple of AI Captain Morgans is probably the most fancy - has a pool and is right on the beach. Beach apparently has been listed in the top 100 beaches in whatever. Numerous dive shops and world class snorkelling at the far end. My wife and I stayed at both Fosters and Los Rocas - forget Los Rocas - nickle and dime you and I had a bad experience with the dive shop. At fosters - dive shop is on the water and depending on your villa may only be about 10 steps from your hammock on the veranda.

Sounds like you are talking about WEST BAY which is just to the west of WEST END but quite a bit different.

(las Rocas is on the eastern end of WEST BAY and west BAY beach)

Roatanman, thanks very much for your post. I am managing my expectations here and as I said in other posts I realize I can not get everything I wanted in one place. So I am re-thinking what I should expect.

The way I see it I want to go to Roatan and experience the Island for what it is, not what I want it to be. So I will go with an open mind and open attitude. I have heard and read so many great things about the Island that I am sure I will have a great time.

Some people look at vacations with the attitude that everything has to be perfection or else it is a terrible trip. Hey, I am just grateful that I can get away for a week to someplace nice.

In that case, try to book for Anthony's Key or CoCoView Resort. Either one will get you to great diving. No real night life but I hear you can take a taxi from AKR down to some bars. Neither is a 5star facility, but they are tropical-rustic and relaxed. CCV is small and cozy, AKR is a bit bigger and there are families and more activities. It all depends what you want between dives.
I have a trip report for CCV here: CoCoView Resort, 2008
we were there during the rainy season which did affect diving a bit but we had such a great time we plan to go back again! We have traveled a bit and this was my favorite dive resort ever. Love the staff, the boats, the resort, the whole setup!

robin:D

You may want to look at Luna Beach Resort in the West End.
It has a pool(small).
It has a very nice beach.
IMO has a good dive op on site.
The divemasters choose the sites with input from the divers.
Food is basic NA for breakfast and lunch.
Most guests do the ten minute walk down the beach to the West End for nightlife and dinner.
Very quiet resort at night with lovely accom.

We stayed at the Posada Arco Iris and it was great. Not fancy, but comfortable and relatively inexpensive. The rooms are in several buildings mixed in with trees, so we didn't really need AC, although we had it. In the front is the Argentinian Grill where you can get a pretty good steak.

Arco Iris is my home away from home. I have only stayed there 5 times. A few of those were for two weeks at a time. Its right across from a nice beach, half a block from Sundowner's beach bar, and one block from Coconut Tree Divers. The folks that run it and work there act like they care about how things go. I would go back in a heartbeat. The Grill is the best restaurant in West End for meat.

Back
Top Bottom