Roatan Recompression Chamber / Dive Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segundo3000gt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My fiance and I will be visiting Roatan for the first time in June. We're staying at Anthony's Key Resort. Most of our diving has been done in Minnesota and hasn't been much deeper than 30 feet so we haven't had any reason to have dive insurance. It sounds like based on a thread posted recently that AKR has the only working chamber left on the island. They have a link on their website describing it:

Roatan Diving, Scuba Roatan, Roatan Safety - Recompression Chamber | Anthony's Key Resort

I'm trying to understand if paying this insurance while staying there is basically the same as having dive insurance. I understand that there is much more that DAN or Dive Assure can do but I might skip it if it really is redundant. Can anyone clarify or comment? I want to make sure we're covered for any dive accidents but I don't want to waste money on something that doesn't get me anything. My guess is that the dive insurance would cover the things they list as additional charges to the chamber visit itself. Also, if we did decide to get dive insurance does anyone know if both DAN and Dive Assure would be accepted there?

A) you can need a chamber just as easily from 30' as 100'.

B) "Real dive insurance" covers you for more than chamber rides - they'll replace gear, fly you home in a medevac, and cover non-pressure related injuries, as well as cover costs for a diving trip ruined by a medical problem.

C) Dive-Asssure is primary insurance, and pays first. DAN is secondary and covers what your regular insurance doesn't.

Get real dive insurance, it's worth it for the peace of mind.

All the best, James

When in June will you be there?

I'd get DAN also. My friend didn't pay the $12 and it cost her around a thousand for a chamber ride and follow-up there. (Well, cost her insurance...)
The nominal charge also serves as a donation to the clinic that provides medical service to the local community.
We were there in the daytime and saw some of the local people the doctor helps - I believe it's for free.

If you dive with the Dolphins that's a 60' dive. All of your dives on that side of the island will be deeper than 30' also. Except their shoredive, afaik you can stay shallower if desired.

Later in the week, after you've done some diving there, have them take you to Spooky Channel. It's one of the best on Roatan. Texas was a good dive also.

fyi, from there to the West End is an $8 cab ride - once it was $6. Negotiate in advance anytime you take a cab.

it's a pretty cheap price to help them maintain it for the next diver who does need a ride.

Like your DM or local who doesn't have the money it costs.

Please pay the daily chamber donation fee whether you have other insurance or not- it supports the process.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

When in June will you be there?

We'll be there June 25th to July 4th. It'll be our honeymoon.

A) you can need a chamber just as easily from 30' as 100'.

B) "Real dive insurance" covers you for more than chamber rides - they'll replace gear, fly you home in a medevac, and cover non-pressure related injuries, as well as cover costs for a diving trip ruined by a medical problem.

C) Dive-Asssure is primary insurance, and pays first. DAN is secondary and covers what your regular insurance doesn't.

Get real dive insurance, it's worth it for the peace of mind.

All the best, James

I've heard that Dive Assure is a primary and DAN is a secondary insurance. I'm not sure that I entirely understand how it will affect me. If I have my own health insurance right now does that mean DAN would be better for me?

I'd get DAN also. My friend didn't pay the $12 and it cost her around a thousand for a chamber ride and follow-up there. (Well, cost her insurance...)We were there in the daytime and saw some of the local people the doctor helps - I believe it's for free.

If you dive with the Dolphins that's a 60' dive. All of your dives on that side of the island will be deeper than 30' also. Except their shoredive, afaik you can stay shallower if desired.

Later in the week, after you've done some diving there, have them take you to Spooky Channel. It's one of the best on Roatan. Texas was a good dive also.

fyi, from there to the West End is an $8 cab ride - once it was $6. Negotiate in advance anytime you take a cab.

Thanks for the heads up on dive sites. If I understand correctly we will end up with one dive master and one dive group and we will cycle through a list of dive sites in the week. I don't know how much input we have as to where we go but I'll see if Spooky Channel and Texas are options.

I had heard it wasn't too far to get to the west end. What can we find there? It sounds like that's where the nightlife is.

Can anyone confirm that DAN and Dive Assure are accepted at the chamber? I'm not sure if it would be the insurance company not covering a certain chamber or a chamber not accepting a certain insurance company but I'd like to make sure that we're covered either way. I can try to contact them tomororw but I figured I'd see if anyone knew.

Most of us have health insurance. It's hard enough getting them to pay for care they are supposed to, let alone unusual stuff like chamber rides in another country....

With secondary insurance, your regular healthcare pays first; your secondary carrier covers what's left over, after your regular healthcare is done paying. You can imagine the back-and-forth finger pointing this can generate. I've seeen it happen to friends and it was painful to watch.

Primary insurance pays first. No question about who covers what and no arguments.

A local would be the one to confirm what is really accecpted at the chamber. We use DiveAssure and have made a point to enquire about it's accecptance everywhere we go, and so far, the answer has always been yes with a smile. We dive abroad about twice a year, in a lot of places.

Several years ago DAN insurance was refused by a variety of chambers in the Carribean. My understanding was that DAN began paying less than the billed rate, claiming they were charging more than was "customary". AFAIK this was resolved and DAN insurance is now accecpted again at those locations.

All the best, James

With secondary insurance, your regular healthcare pays first; your secondary carrier covers what's left over, after your regular healthcare is done paying. You can imagine the back-and-forth finger pointing this can generate. I've seeen it happen to friends and it was painful to watch.

Primary insurance pays first. No question about who covers what and no arguments.

This is an interesting thought. From what it sounds like, DAN provides other research and online seminars to educate divers. It must be a worthwhile benefit or else it seems logical to go with Diveassure.

DAN the non-profit does provide excellent education, research, and benefits the scuba community. It is a worthy cause, and anyone can support this by being a member.

You do not have to purchase insurance from DAN's for-profit insurance subsidiary, AGI, to support this worthy mission.

I found DiveAssure's primary insurance to be a better package for me, in any case. Like so much in life, investigate before you plunk down you hard-earned money.

In the spirit of the OP, I would donate to the local chamber fund. I'd also carry dive insurance.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom