Roatan vs Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm writing this post from Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan.
Our previous dive trip was in Cozumel last year.

Hands down both our votes go for Roatan. Very beautiful and the diving is awesome!

David

On the first day of any such trip, SCUBA next to your snorkeler in 6 feet Pass the snorkeler your octopus. Let them see how much easier that is. Then, as you get back on-shore, walk them into the dive shop and sign them up for an OW card- they just had the Discover SCUBA Diving bait. Snorkeling is a lot of work and has an increased risk of Sunburn.

A little OT but I couldn't pass and not to comment: To give a snorkeler compressed air underwater isn't the brightest idea... I know of somebody who caused permanent damage to his son (lung over expansion) doing just this type of stuff in a pool, 9-10ft deep. Snorkelers naturally hold their breath on the way up... You get the picture. I know only 6 ft deep but I wouldn't try to risk it. BTW, he probably might have been fine and escaped only with a bruise but unfortunately he took a full gulp of air:( Just saying:wink:

I'm writing this post from Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan.
Our previous dive trip was in Cozumel last year.

Hands down both our votes go for Roatan. Very beautiful and the diving is awesome!

David

I know it's dumb on this board in particular, but if you can provide details about Anthony's from the non-diver (read: snorkeler) perspective that'd be awesome :)

---------- Post added March 9th, 2013 at 06:24 PM ----------

A little OT but I couldn't pass and not to comment: To give a snorkeler compressed air underwater isn't the brightest idea... I know of somebody who caused permanent damage to his son (lung over expansion) doing just this type of stuff in a pool, 9-10ft deep. Snorkelers naturally hold their breath on the way up... You get the picture. I know only 6 ft deep but I wouldn't try to risk it. BTW, he probably might have been fine and escaped only with a bruise but unfortunately he took a full gulp of air:( Just saying:wink:

I took it that the Doc was kidding, but, yeah, throwing compressed air to someone not trained is always a brutal idea, I'm one diver that appreciates you bringing up the seriousness of even fooling around from this.

We may kid, but some don't want to dive, period. That said, hopefully I can find in Roatan a place that I can still share with my partner...

No, not kidding, just speaking in short hand.

You inflate your bc and they get no weights.

I guess I'm that much of a risk taker, everybody stays on the surface.

Possibly add this safety discussion on to one of the 213 previous threads that pertain to that off-topic quite specifically.

:hm:

All of this discussion and electrons... no one has mentioned Wakatobi.

Last edited:
I know it's dumb on this board in particular, but if you can provide details about Anthony's from the non-diver (read: snorkeler) perspective that'd be awesome :)

---------- Post added March 9th, 2013 at 06:24 PM ----------
I went to Anthony's Key twice for just that reason. At the time my wife was a non-diver and they have a dedicated snorkel boat which makes two trips a day plus a night snorkel. My wife loved it and I didn't have to wonder what she was up to or if she was bored while I was diving. She made friends with other non-diving wives on the snorkel boat and they all kept each other company for the other short periods their husbands where diving. The snorkel boat crew is great and my wife would strongly recommend it.

I have been to Roatan a few years back and this is not a place I would go back to. I stayed at cocoview, which was very nice, but I found the diving to be boring after a while. Not much variety in topography and fish life was very limited. I liked Cozumel much better. If you are looking for something new, I would also recommend Bonaire. I liked the diving there very much and the diving freedom was just awesome, just pick some tanks and go diving whenever you please.

I have been to both Cozumel and Roatan 3 times. As for the diving......I would have a very difficult time choosing which place is best. Both places have a spot in my heart. As for the rest of the amenities, again it would be difficult. Each has it's own things that I like. My wife is a non diver, she doesn't like to snorkel either. The quiet and the seclusion of Roatan is alluring to her, she considers Roatan a great place because she can unwind, relax, read, enjoy the solitude. On the Cozumel side, she likes Coz for the idea that if she wants to do something she can. She too would have a hard time deciding which one to choose. I can say that if you haven't been to Roatan you need to go and see for yourself. The 2 places are so much alike but are in reality so much different. I am sure that you will enjoy both places, and trust me you need to experience both.

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2013 at 05:17 PM ----------

I was in Coz. this mid-July. First dive of the week, Palancar area, wall dive, currents was so strong, my mistake of not drift dive in almost a year and I didn't know how to drift dive...suddenly I was about 15ft - 20ft away from the wall ahead of the group, realized that I'd tried to fight the current to get back to the DM and my group.

I think we dove on Palacar on the very same day. The current was so strong, that it felt like you were flying! It was my daughter and mine first drift dive, so it was quite a surprise, but our Dive Master stayed right beside us and gave us directions continuously during the (short) dive - I was truly an airhog that day!

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2013 at 05:35 PM ----------

My daughter and I got certified in Roatan a couple of years ago, while my husband took his Advanced Open Water. We rented a house at Milton Bight, and dove with Subway Watersports in Turquoise Bay. It was awsome, no current, the diving was great. We loved staying in our own house, we drove on the roads, and it sounds like we were lucky, no accidents! We are planning to go back over New Years, same setup :)
We have been to Cozumel twice since then, both times diving with Scuba Mau. Cozumel is so different from Roatan, but still absolutely awesome, I cannot choose which I like more, but since non of the diver masters we dove with on Roatan are not there anymore, I really wanted to go back to Scuba Mau, but my husband wants to go back to Roatan ... this time I'll let him decide ;-)

I cannot comment on diving in Cozumel as I've only snorkeled there. We have been to Roatan 3 years. The first year I did the discover SCUBA gig with Native Sons and was hooked. Got certified at home. Went back last year and got the advanced open water cert with Reef Gliders. We thought the DMs were excellent. We just spent another week in West End, back with Reef Gliders. Our group of 6-7 were able to do all dives together, mostly with Mickey and 1 with Rionn. Both are very competent DMs. We thought that the dives were awesome and are really close to the dock. Same price whether you schlep your gear there or use their gear. We brought our masks and used the shop's gear- everything worked fine.

We especially liked the dining options- Honduran, wood grilled chicken, german, mexican, rotisserie (sp) chicken, etc. West End definitely suits our style (mid 40s, beverages at sunset, not late night partiers).

Bonaire might be next on vacation list.

If you can wait until March 2014 I'll give you my opinion of Roatan vs Cozumel vs Bonaire. I'll be in Coz in July, Bonaire in Sept, and Roatan in March. This is going to be a great 9 months!! I'm going to get callouses on my fingers from all the trip reports I'll have to come up with.

Back
Top Bottom