Roatan vs Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rotan is not drift diving and the reef is much healthier..........If you've done Cozumel 3 times lets face it...it's time to move on....

Rotan is not drift diving and the reef is much healthier..........If you've done Cozumel 3 times lets face it...it's time to move on....
Wow, that's kind of short sighted.... I loved my trip to Roatan, but you will never see all of Cozumel, reefs or Island, in 3 trips. Or Roatan either, for that matter. They each have their charms. I'm still hooked on Coz for the people, variety of restaurants and culture, and the reefs and more abundant critters, but was kind of enchanted with the wreck off Cocoview, and lots more soft corals on the reefs because of less hurricanes and divers.... I'll try to visit both as often as I can :wink:

We went to CoCo View in January. About 1/3 of the dives were drift dives.

when we were there, they told us that one dive had current and would most likely be done as a "drift". We jumped in the water and both started laughing.... that was not drift like Cozumel!!! Seriously, no comparison.

the food is certainly much better in cozumel than roatan but what "culture" is in cozumel ? i must have missed it .

the food is certainly much better in cozumel than roatan but what "culture" is in cozumel ? i must have missed it .

MEXICO in all its cultural glory is there, though you may have to make an effort to find it.

"If you can wait until March 2014 I'll give you my opinion of Roatan vs Cozumel vs Bonaire. I'll be in Coz in July, Bonaire in Sept, and Roatan in March. This is going to be a great 9 months!! I'm going to get callouses on my fingers from all the trip reports I'll have to come up with."
Make sure that you aren't going to be in Roatan around easter. From what I understand it is one big nonstop party complete with ridiculously loud bar music to the wee hours of the morning.​

This is the most amazing thread.

Roatan is one of those places that once someone has had a view of it, they are convinced that the entire island is just the same way.

The premise of it is kind of silly to start with- when any two dive destinations are compared. The titles always remind me of a headline of a soccer match-up.

It's just plain silly...

If you can wait until March 2014 I'll give you my opinion of Roatan vs Cozumel vs Bonaire.

I don't know if I can control myself...

Everyone has their own coception of what a drift dive is.. Cozumel is drift diving. Just did a trip in Belize and on several occasions the DM mentioned drift dive. There was NO current. What they call a drift dive is simply that the boat doesn't anchor and they pick you up where you pop out of the water. EVERYBODY on the boat got a chuckle out of that. From now on when they brief these dives they now refer to is as a "Belizeian Drift Dive" LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom