Roll Control System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On my boat, the biggest pain in adjustable roll control racks is that you have to take them out of the track to change the size. If you have to adjust sizes on a regular basis, it is a real pain. Every morning, I have never know what size tanks my charter is going to show up with, and many times it costs us an extra 20 minutes getting the size of the racks set. Be sure to leave enough room on the sides of the track to slide the racks out.

The aluminum tracks are easily cut with a wood blade on your mitre saw. This winter, I am also going to install a bungee cord across the top of my racks as an extra security measure.

Thanks for the additional replies. I am still waiting for my LDS to get me a quote. I know it will be more than what I can get them for online but I figure I will give him the sale. He will probably end up helping me install them as well.

One question...how does the tank bracket stay in place in the track? I understand that it slides in from the end. I'm curious to know what keeps it from sliding the length of the track.

The only downside to my intended installation location is the track and bracket will be installed about 12 inches from the bottom of the deck. Ideally, I would have preferred them to be higher but there is no place to mount them. We are going to have to come up with something to help keep them in place.

The other issue we have to overcome is accessibility to the back side of the mounting location for installing nuts. I don't know that we are going to be able to get to those spots. One idea was to use toggle nuts for the areas we can not get to. Finding stainless toggle nuts my not be easy. The only other option would be to cut access holes from other compartments to install lock nuts.

Something like this might work...

http://www.amazon.com/Garelick-EEz-21022-Marine-Stainless/dp/B000AUAZKA

If it will hold a seat, it should hold two tanks.

I would appreciate any input and pictures. Thanks.

You need to adjust the bracket size so it's a snug fit on the tank. That causes
the bracket to wedge itself in place on the track. I also drill a vertical hole
in the track at each end and drop an SS clevis pin through the holes.

The other issue we have to overcome is accessibility to the back side of the mounting location for installing nuts. I don't know that we are going to be able to get to those spots. One idea was to use toggle nuts for the areas we can not get to. Finding stainless toggle nuts my not be easy. The only other option would be to cut access holes from other compartments to install lock nuts.

Something like this might work...

Amazon.com: Garelick/EEz-In 21022:01 Marine Stainless Steel Toggle Bolt Anchor: Automotive

If it will hold a seat, it should hold two tanks.

I would appreciate any input and pictures. Thanks.

I used these from West Marine, they work but they are expensive. You might want to check around online and see if you can get them cheaper.

West Marine: Stainless Steel Togglers Product Display

Just got back from the LDS. We were looking at the catalog for the Roll Control System. We found the "Solid Locking type bracket" (part #430). I think i am going to go with this instead. These should allow us to use them with singles or doubles without needing additional parts. Since I am trying to set up 4 sets of tanks holders, buying 4 of everything adds up quick. The rep we called said these would work with both doubles and singles. The 2nd advantage is they are much lower profile. Hopefully they work as desired. I am going to have the LDS go ahead and order everything in the next week or so. I have to go out of town so when I get back, my new toys should be here waiting.

As for the toggle nuts, I am going to search around and see where I can get them the cheapest. West Marine tends to sell most things for more than other stores. Unfortunately, they are often the only place that has what I need (like the trailer light I am going to order with the ladder). Surprisingly, their price on the ladder is as good as most other place so that works. I can also have it shipped to the store for free. The disadvantage is tax, which California likes a lot!

Thanks again for the help.

Chuck,

On my boat we secure the tanks with BCDs assembled for the entire trip. Roll control brackets work fine with BCD on or off. I should also note the brackets have little to no space between them in the AL track. For doubles we use two brackets and tie the tanks in using the two outermost brackets. Even with integrated weights, BCD, canister lights, etc, the brackets work fine in all conditions.

Note that most of the brackets are sold in pairs.

Will that #430 bracket work with a BC on the tank? It doesn't look like it to
me.

I believe it will based on how low we are mounting them. Unfortunately I have to order anything to get it here so I can be sure. I will have my LDS get the stuff here so I can see what's going to work. I believe these are sold in pairs as well. I am going to order for pairs for storing 8 tanks. Thanks Chuck.

Chuck,

On my boat we secure the tanks with BCDs assembled for the entire trip. Roll control brackets work fine with BCD on or off. I should also note the brackets have little to no space between them in the AL track. For doubles we use two brackets and tie the tanks in using the two outermost brackets. Even with integrated weights, BCD, canister lights, etc, the brackets work fine in all conditions.

When you are using doubles, do you have the "double tank adapter" (part #410)? One of the reasons I was going to go with the PVC adapter (part #430) is because I wanted to be able to mount doubles without additional parts. If I buy the adjustable tank bracket and need the double tank adapter on top of it, the price goes up significantly since I am ordering 4 of everything. If it is possible to use the adjustable tank brackets with doubles without any additional parts, I might go with them instead. I was mainly looking at keeping the cost down and trying to avoid buying more gear that I have to store when it is not being used.

It would be nice if I could see the various pieces of the system in a store before I order them. Since no store I know of stocks them, I have to just order blindly. Thanks for the help.

For my setup for double tanks I don't use the adapter you mentioned. I use two of the adjustable brackets side-by-side, folding down the two inner arms and using the outer arms to tie the tanks in. This setup doesn't hold the tanks firmly like a single tank but is sturdy enough. Use a small enough diameter line to thread thru the hole at the tip of the bracket arm (or enlarge it) and tie it securely.
I've got double 112cf tanks and my diving buddies have double 98's or 120's (LP), there's never a problem with tank security. We go offshore (Virginia) usually 35-40nm but as far as 65nm in a moderate sea state (4-5ft seas) without problems. Spending the extra for double adapters in my opinion isn't necessary. Besides doubles are less likely to have the same overall dimensions when comparing rigs than single tanks. Don't make this too hard, use the adjustable and fold down brackets, mount them securely and go diving.
I use the fold down brackets so they fold out of the way, at Leisure Pro (Buy scuba gear, scuba diving and snorkeling equipment, and everything underwater from LeisurePro.com) a set of two costs 29.95USD and 4ft AL track 25.99USD. I mounted the AL track right onto the gelcoat so forget the "mounting kit" but remember to reinforce with oversize fender washers and nylon lock nuts.

I also recommend you spend a few more dollars on some matting, like Dri Dek or a similar product. Setting tanks down on a fiberglass deck will cause dents and scuffs despite how careful you are. Use the matting to dampen the impact and lessen damage.

Safe Diving,
Wil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom