Rolling mesh backpack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texas Girl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anybody seen/used one of these? Armor and XS Scuba both make one. I love the idea of being able to roll my heavy, wet gear. But there are times that it is necessary to carry it, and I like using a backpack instead of a duffel bag. Both of these bags weigh about 6 pounds empty, so I am not sure that the extra weight is worth it. Any opinions?

Texas Girl:
Has anybody seen/used one of these? Armor and XS Scuba both make one. I love the idea of being able to roll my heavy, wet gear. But there are times that it is necessary to carry it, and I like using a backpack instead of a duffel bag. Both of these bags weigh about 6 pounds empty, so I am not sure that the extra weight is worth it. Any opinions?
I have the XS Scuba version. Loved the idea, but didn't work well at all. Once the bag is full it's off balance and doesn't roll well. I had to add a luggage strap to make the handle long enough to get enough tilt to roll. The backpack straps drag under the wheels unless you find a way to tie them up - but then you can't just switch from rolling to backpack without untying the straps. The zipper only runs partially down the side making it hard to get things in and out. The first one I got (shortly after them came on the market) rusted in the wheelbase. I'll give them points for attempted good customer service, since they were agreeable to taking it back to look at, but as we had discussed it being replaced with some other style bag (since I was unhappy with the lack of functionality), they dropped the ball when they forgot and shipped out another rolling one. And then didn't really seem to care that I wasn't really happy about it. I would have liked to trade it for their deluxe compact mesh backpack, as I do like the quality of their bags, but really hate to have to go buy another bag. I have not used the replacement rolling bag, as I don't think I feel like giving it another go ......:(

That's what I was afraid of, that the concept wouldn't work out. We are going to Bonaire in March, and our room will be a fair distance from the beach. I remember hating that walk back with the wet gear. Maybe I will just pick up a cheap rolling bag to use there and just throw it away afterwards.

Thanks for the reply.

Diver Kat:
I have the XS Scuba version. Loved the idea, but didn't work well at all. Once the bag is full it's off balance and doesn't roll well. I had to add a luggage strap to make the handle long enough to get enough tilt to roll. The backpack straps drag under the wheels unless you find a way to tie them up - but then you can't just switch from rolling to backpack without untying the straps. The zipper only runs partially down the side making it hard to get things in and out. The first one I got (shortly after them came on the market) rusted in the wheelbase. I'll give them points for attempted good customer service, since they were agreeable to taking it back to look at, but as we had discussed it being replaced with some other style bag (since I was unhappy with the lack of functionality), they dropped the ball when they forgot and shipped out another rolling one. And then didn't really seem to care that I wasn't really happy about it. I would have liked to trade it for their deluxe compact mesh backpack, as I do like the quality of their bags, but really hate to have to go buy another bag. I have not used the replacement rolling bag, as I don't think I feel like giving it another go ......:(

Which bag did you want?

Well if you find out the other brand works .... post!! I'd be interested. I've also thought about trying to experiment and attach some simple swivel wheels with a small base to an old mesh bag to see if it would work .... part of the reason I wanted a rolliing bag was that the backpacks are all pretty long, and I'm pretty short so they whack me in the back of the legs. Rolling was a nice solution. Maybe someone will figure out how to get the balance right, and come up with a viable rolling model .....

cerich:
Which bag did you want?

I was looking at the XS Scuba BG323 - Compact Deluxe Mesh Backpack if I had been able to have XS Scuba send a different replacement. It's a few inches shorter than most of the standard mesh backpacks, so I thought it might help ..... I've hunted around alot of the brands, but there's not many options out there for us short people - I'm barely 5'4" .... it would be nice if someone designed a bag where the straps are actually attached lower on the bag (like hiking backpacks) so the bag could sit higher on your back, and not whack your legs .....

I'm with Kat...
I didn't like mine at all...Ah well I am a luggage collector

Does the place you are staying at have drying racks to hang your gear on??? (by the beach) It worked great for me to just dunk it there and leave it to hang dry each day. But they do have to have the place locked up at night.

CheddarChick:
I'm with Kat...
I didn't like mine at all...Ah well I am a luggage collector
LOL!! And I thought I was alone in looking for the perfect dive bag!!!

Man, Kat if my hubby knew how I lusted after luggage ...well it wouldn't be pretty...
Not quite a bad a habit as summer sandals...and toe rings, and ankle bracelets

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom