Rolling mesh backpack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the large size L.L. Bean rolling duffle for about $90. It has lasted a couple of 3 week trips so far. Nice big compartment, no scuba advertising and a couple of cinch straps to keep everything tight. I tried a couple of big bags that had back straps or not but the weight is just too much going through the airports for a mile or so.

jbb:
I use the large size L.L. Bean rolling duffle for about $90. It has lasted a couple of 3 week trips so far. Nice big compartment, no scuba advertising and a couple of cinch straps to keep everything tight. I tried a couple of big bags that had back straps or not but the weight is just too much going through the airports for a mile or so.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not looking for an airport bag. I was interested in the mesh backpack for walking long distances with wet gear. Has anyone tried a mesh duffel bag?

Texas Girl:
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not looking for an airport bag. I was interested in the mesh backpack for walking long distances with wet gear. Has anyone tried a mesh duffel bag?
Thought about getting a rolling one, as they seem like they would be more stable, but they're so darn big space-wise!!

CheddarChick:
Man, Kat if my hubby knew how I lusted after luggage ...well it wouldn't be pretty...
Are we related???? I went thru a mad luggage phase a couple of years ago, in the search for the lightest luggage to stuff all my dang heavy dive gear in!!! Ended up with several sets of Delsey ... and so far they've survived a good number of trips!

cerich:
Which bag did you want?

Well I'm bummed out even more with XS Scuba .... way back when, cerich (an XS Scuba rep) PM'd to offer to help get the unwanted rolling bag replaced ...... a month later (and a week before my trip),one follow-up by me with an 'oh sorry - I'll get to you' type reply, and it seems I've been blown off again ..... :( I guess I'm on the XS Scuba deadbeat list or something .......

Hello Diver Kat:
Actually you are on our customer list, not our deadbeat list. Unfortunately you're on our unhappy customer list and I would like to change that. Give me a call Toll Free 866 977-2822, I'm in the office all week. Let me work with you to win you over to our happy customer list. Honestly, I'm pretty sure that I currently do not manufacture a bag that meets all of your needs. Though, I am willing to build a new sample per your design in exchange for your testing and evaluation.

Diver Kat:
Well I'm bummed out even more with XS Scuba .... way back when, cerich (an XS Scuba rep) PM'd to offer to help get the unwanted rolling bag replaced ...... a month later (and a week before my trip),one follow-up by me with an 'oh sorry - I'll get to you' type reply, and it seems I've been blown off again ..... :( I guess I'm on the XS Scuba deadbeat list or something .......

Wow make sure it is designed for girls!!!!...We are challenged in different ways than guys!

I would like to say here that I have the 327 Wheeled Mesh Backpack ( http://www.xsscuba.com/wh_mesh_bp.html ) and am happy with it so far. I do have to stoup a bit to safely roll it (longer handle?) it can be a little top heavy fully loaded (don't know if an inch, or so wider would help, don't want it too wide ether) and my straps don't trail on the ground if pulled up tight, load all your heavy stuff on bottom forward.
But ... I am amazed how much gear I can cram into it, I can hoist it on my back pretty comfortably (don't know how a hike would work out though) and was a great way to stow and transport my gear to the dive boat.

.. I know, girls are different than guys, and need stuff that works for you .. glad to see that XS is stepping up to plate :D

XS Scuba:
Hello Diver Kat:
Actually you are on our customer list, not our deadbeat list. Unfortunately you're on our unhappy customer list and I would like to change that. Give me a call Toll Free 866 977-2822, I'm in the office all week. Let me work with you to win you over to our happy customer list. Honestly, I'm pretty sure that I currently do not manufacture a bag that meets all of your needs. Though, I am willing to build a new sample per your design in exchange for your testing and evaluation.
Mike - you may have forgotten, but I did talk to you, several times - when I sent you back the original rolling bag that had rusted out in the wheel areas. We discussed replacing it with compact mesh backback as a possible alternative, but after a number of delays (at XS Scuba) you ended up shipping me the same style back a day or two before my trip. The whole issue popped up again when I replied to this thread about rolling bags. Chris (from XS Scuba) jumped in, and offered to help get the unwanted bag exchanged, but after a few PM's I didn't hear anything else. Since he continued to post on SB, you can understand my feeling a bit neglected by XS Scuba.

As for designing a bag - there are several threads on SB where we have talked about what would help for a woman (or anyone short!) And I bet any (and all of us) would LOVE to do testing for you ...... myself included ... if you're serious.

As it stands right now, what I was hoping to swtich the roller for was the Compact Deluxe Mesh Backpack (BG323) - it's a few inches shorter than the regular bag, and so far the shortest one I can find anywhere around. Do you think we can work this out???

Let me know, and maybe you can convert me back to the XS Scuba Fan Club ......

(On a design note - the problem with most backpack bags is that they are too long for short people and especially when filled with wet gear hang so low that they whack you on the back of the legs while walking. Can you figure out a way to attach the straps at a lower point so the bag actually sits higher up on the back??)

If we are talking about designing the ideal bag...for women or otherwise, in addition to the requirements for stability (and I have to say I am a convert to the four swivel rollers) I was also thinking that it would be useful to have something that would function both as a boat bag and, when not full to the brim, as a carry on (perhaps a removable cover over the mesh a la Akona's mesh duffel and roll down or cinch down top?) thereby saving the weight in our checked luggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom