Rosie O'Donnell the Shark murderer. And Mark the Shark charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PETA........Really?

If you were to ask me, I could tell you I have nothing but antipathy for PETA. They blindly follow rhetoric that I will never support.

To have paid close attention to studies that show how shark killing is having real and detrimental effects on the marine environment is not looking for rainbows and butterflies.

Living in NC where the bay scallop industry has been destroyed by the shortage of sharks, I can see, first hand, the long term effects.

Why you seem not to care about how this impacts our diving, or your decision to just stick your head in the sand has me saddened and somewhat baffled. A little reading and education on your part might go a long way.

But, I suspect you are satisfied not caring.

I'm pretty sure Mark the Shark operates in Florida, and again, even though you want to keep ignoring it - FLORIDA has a very clear set of rules and regulations regarding shark fishing.

Just because you don't agree with them doesn't make them wrong, or make everybody else wrong who follows them.

If you care so much about sharks you should be freaking out over the 32-78 MILLION sharks killed each year by commercial fisherman for their fins, and not worry about one guy catching a few sharks while doing so by obeying the laws of the state he operates in.

My link above, the proliferation of algae choking our reefs (you have not been diving here for 35 +years, I have. I see it and it is logical.)has been attributed to the destruction of the shark population.

My link above, the proliferation of algae choking our reefs (you have not been diving here for 35 +years, I have. I see it and it is logical.)has been attributed to the destruction of the shark population.

Wow! :shakehead: Am I the only person who actually reads what is posted?

The ENTIRE study you linked to, every single page of it, is about the decimation of sharks due to shark fining and bi catch. Sound familiar????

Step number one - please actually read your own sources.

You continue to miss the point some of us are making. &nbsp;If a shark or 100,000 sharks is killed for sport, its fins or as by catch, it is still just as dead. And that has been proven to negatively impact the oceans Eco system.&nbsp;<br><br>i think it is perhaps you who has failed to read the publication. My main reason for posting...if you read the entire article, you have seen that it attributes the impact on the NC scallop populations and the algae choking Carribean corals. While Florida sports fisherman in all likelyhood don't have the same impact as bicatches in the Atlantic, they sure are not part of the solution.&nbsp;

Boy oh boy.

Okay, I got news for you. Just like the tree huggers in the 70s who ran around crying that we shouldn't cut down trees... the news flash for them is similar for you. "Tress - they grow back"

"Sharks - they give birth to more"

Sport fisherman couldn't even begin to effect the shark populations in our oceans if it weren't for commercial fishing killing them by the millions. According to your link last year 100 million killed by commercial fisherman and bi catch.

You're simply, absolutely nuts, completely off your rocker if you think sport fishing is even on the radar compared to 100 million killed.

Using your reports statistics, since this thread was started 6 days ago, 1,650,000 sharks have been killed by commerical fishing. That's 1 million, six hundred and fifty thousand! You're worried about 1 sharks death, or a few hundred killed by sport fisherman at the most versus 1.6 million? This is why you guys make no sense to anybody with common sense. You're running around with your heads cut off over somebody stepped on a blade of grass, while there is a forest fire burning the woods down around you.

F O C U S

It's okay to kill a shark. Say it with me. It's okay to kill a shark.

Say it with me - "100 million killed in a year is not okay"

Keep saying it over and over again, repeat it to strangers, tell it to people you meet, pretty soon even you might begin to understand it and gain some perspective.

Graphically for you to understand it easier -

cuboro-marbles-l.jpg

SPORT FISHING

maze_marbles.jpg

COMMERCIAL FISHING AND BI CATCH

One more for you ---

SandInHand.jpg

SPORT FISHING

dune-large.jpg

COMMERCIAL FISHING AND BI CATCH

See Mike, you just don't get it. We all agree that commercial fishing is the bad guy catching sharks. And that the laws need to be changed. But you just can't wrap your head around the fact that until we can change the mindset of people everywhere, and convince them that killing sharks is not a good idea, that what Mark the Shark is doing is hindering that effort. You can't convince people that killing sharks is bad, and then say killing them is OK in the same breath. We need to end the vilification of sharks as "Man-eaters" and "Death from Below" and all the other Jaws related perceptions people have of them. This man's operation (and any other that does not at least practice catch & release) is sending the opposite message needed to keep these creatures from extinction.

That sand dune is made up of many handfuls of sand, and I've got a feeling I know where the marbles came from, and who lost them.

Sorry Merx. Crossed threads. Meant this as response to Mike. Edit!

I thought this thread was dead, but Mike you are showing your ignorance.

I am convinced you are a troll. Particularly when you bring up PETA and the environmental movements of the 70's.

Perhaps you are not a troll, and just uneducated and ill informed Do you really believe that the Sea can reverse this as quickly as a tree can grow. Do you have a clue as to how long it takes to replace a hard coral??

Your pics are very clever little man, but you demonstrate your ignorance of the issue. Refrain from your insults, and READ my posts.

You call me "nuts" and "off your rocker". Anything else to support your attacks? (besides pictures of marbles)

Now, not flaming, I'm just asking, where your authority comes from living in the West. I understand because I studied Oceanography during my Engineering studies in Indiana. As anecdotal as it sounds, I've been visiting here since the 60's (I lost a finger sometime in that decade.) I dived with Nourine Rouse (animal lover) and Frank (the shark killer) Hammett as well as my parents, in-laws ( Keys Fishermen), grand parents and some of the great contemporary divers. the last 15 years not a one would dispute my college boy comments.

IJS. (oh, btw, your insulting comments are not well received. But I assume you feel comfortable as an anonymous Internet bully)

Mike seems like a reasonably intelligent guy with very selective hearing. Somebody mentioned to him once that commercial fishing kills 38 million sharks every year. How could sport fishers possibly add to this problem? For starters, they glorify the killing of sharks by dragging the corpses back and displaying them at the docks.

Another way sport fishers are a part of the problem is they do take a lot of sharks from the area immediately surrounding their home port. If you fish a pond (localized effect) heavily enough, you can reduce the local population significantly even if the worldwide fish population remains relatively stable (which in this case it is not). The "fact" that sport fishers don't add significantly to the total catch is garbage. When I showed that it was garbage using statistics from people that know an awful lot more about what they are talking about than Mike does, he openly ignored it. So I calculated Mark the Shart's personal percentage of the overall take based on his own data, and he openly ignored that, too. Mike made up his mind before he started gathering facts.

As far as the legality of shark fishing, you may legally kill sharks. However, it is still tragically immoral. There is a BIG difference between illegality and immorality. It has been asked a number of times, but why do you feel the need to defend this guy?

Mike seems like a reasonably intelligent guy with very selective hearing. Somebody mentioned to him once that commercial fishing kills 38 million sharks every year. How could sport fishers possibly add to this problem? For starters, they glorify the killing of sharks by dragging the corpses back and displaying them at the docks.

Another way sport fishers are a part of the problem is they do take a lot of sharks from the area immediately surrounding their home port. If you fish a pond (localized effect) heavily enough, you can reduce the local population significantly even if the worldwide fish population remains relatively stable (which in this case it is not). The "fact" that sport fishers don't add significantly to the total catch is garbage. When I showed that it was garbage using statistics from people that know an awful lot more about what they are talking about than Mike does, he openly ignored it. So I calculated Mark the Shart's personal percentage of the overall take based on his own data, and he openly ignored that, too. Mike made up his mind before he started gathering facts.

As far as the legality of shark fishing, you may legally kill sharks. However, it is still tragically immoral. There is a BIG difference between illegality and immorality. It has been asked a number of times, but why do you feel the need to defend this guy?

Thank you. Often I don't take the time to articulate.
Nice post. I think I'm done with this thread.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom