Royalty-free music for DVD videos ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Ramon

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good website or other source that provides free music that one can legally download or copy, and include in video DVD projects, without committing copyright infringement? (Music is a good alternative to listening to bubbles, or to silence.)

The live music archive at archive.org has a lot of stuff. There's also open source music there. A lot of it would have limitations like you couldn't put it in anything you sell, but I think the open source stuff is free to all.

My neighbor uses old records that are in the public domain now. But you have to have a lot of records to do that :wink:

Wouldn't Kazaa be useful here? I think using the files is ok as long as you're not going to sell it.

Given that downloading MP3's from Kazaa is (at least was) Illegal in and of itself, I don't think adding them into dive videos would be okay.

Are you looking to produce commercial videos to sell? I always just use music I have at home, but then I've not sold anything.

JamesD:
Given that downloading MP3's from Kazaa is (at least was) Illegal in and of itself, I don't think adding them into dive videos would be okay.

Are you looking to produce commercial videos to sell? I always just use music I have at home, but then I've not sold anything.

Is anyone making any money selling their videos ?

I really like my Blue Planet DVD's and they only cost about $15 a piece. Footage and production is fantastic. I don't want to insult anyone, but how do you compete with a $15 professional DVD ?

newdiver-toronto:
Wouldn't Kazaa be useful here? I think using the files is ok as long as you're not going to sell it.

I suggest you read up on what exactly a COPYRIGHT is.

Here's a good (and legal!) site I frequently use:

http://musicbakery.com

Much of the down-loadable music is very good and it's on the cheap.

ronrosa:
Is anyone making any money selling their videos ?

I really like my Blue Planet DVD's and they only cost about $15 a piece. Footage and production is fantastic. I don't want to insult anyone, but how do you compete with a $15 professional DVD ?

Well some people do, I got a video of my Shark Dive in Florida from the pro-videographer that came with us, so they definately made money off of me.

Not sure if anyone HERE is making money, but some people are, and presumably they need to be careful of what music they put on and copyright laws and such.

While technically I'm probably breaking copyright laws putting music to my videos, given that so far no-one has taken a copy of them, I would guess it's unlikely that I would run into problems with it.

Considering all the money we have tied up in our cameras, housings, editing systems, etc., I think the term "making money off our videos" could be considered a joke by many of us. My own setup is relatively inexpensive by most standards and I couldn't begin to calculate how many $15 DVD's I'd need to sell just to break even.

Since mine are played mostly for personal enjoyment, or the occasional informative presentation for my local "Fish Club", I immagine the music police won't be trying to track me down any time soon.

thereefgeek:
Considering all the money we have tied up in our cameras, housings, editing systems, etc., I think the term "making money off our videos" could be considered a joke by many of us. My own setup is relatively inexpensive by most standards and I couldn't begin to calculate how many $15 DVD's I'd need to sell just to break even.

Since mine are played mostly for personal enjoyment, or the occasional informative presentation for my local "Fish Club", I immagine the music police won't be trying to track me down any time soon.

You are right. I guess what I meant was if people were selling enough DVD's to make it worthwhile. Forget the cost of our equipment. The cost to package, promote and produce the DVD. How many do I need to sell make let's say $1,000 profit ? I imagine at least a few hundred.

My work is no where near good enough to package a DVD and sell. I know a few members here are selling their work. I'm sure it's quality footage and editing, but how can it compete with a professionally shot, edited and produced Blue Planet DVD ?

Maybe I am thinking about this the wrong way. Instead of profit and loses, maybe I should think of it as just hobbyists looking to make a few dollars.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom