Rude divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stronger words than the guy who tried to swipe your table? :eek: :wink:
... no ... I have more margin for idiots than for thieves ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

IMHO Retaliation underwater is not a good idea for the sake of safety. Who knows how well the recipient would cope with the additional task loading. Could result in more than one person in deep trouble if you will pardon my pun.

Since this discussion is in Basic we don't want our new divers either attempting retaliation or trying to figure out how to protect themselves if they unintentionally do something considered "Rude" on a dive.

Yeah, when your both underwater is about the worst time to lash out physically, because they could panic and "glomp" onto you like a four-tentacled octopus. Situation going from rude to skrude.

And on divers rude may be another diver reacting to what they my feel is inconsiderate behavior on your part that, in our own zen moment, we may not have been aware of.

Consider the example give by the op. She states she had been hovering for a few minutes watching a cool crab. Its possible in a hypothetical situation that the other diver had been wating patiently for their oppotunity to look, finally decided that it was her turn, and that carefully approaching below the other diver was a valid option.

And on divers rude may be another diver reacting to what they my feel is inconsiderate behavior on your part that, in our own zen moment, we may not have been aware of.

Consider the example give by the op. She states she had been hovering for a few minutes watching a cool crab. Its possible in a hypothetical situation that the other diver had been wating patiently for their oppotunity to look, finally decided that it was her turn, and that carefully approaching below the other diver was a valid option.
Interesting perspective. One I had not thought about.

It's also possible she didn't see @KatieMac as she was below her. Youre generally looking in front and below when diving and can't see above. I've lightly bumped into people and vice versa on occasion but never an issue, just a quick apology / ok? signal - no probs. I've even had my reg knocked completely out my a clumsy fin but it was an accident so no problem, 'keep calm and carry on' :cool:

Since @uncfnp was brave enough to comment this, I will add a note I was too chicken to make:
One poster said a rude diver went BELOW, a different poster said a rude diver landed on TOP of them, so could this be the SAME incident but two different perspectives?

It's also possible she didn't see @KatieMac as she was below her.
and @Francesea

Not possible in this case. We were in the middle of a wide open sandy patch - probably 15' in any direction. My buddy and I were at least that far from any diver when we started looking. And this very seasoned diver knew that I was new and deliberately staying away from people so I wouldn't invade others' space.

Someone made a point earlier that what people are like on land, they will be that way below. I thought it was spot on. I think I will take this with me when I go next. Observe them on land first. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom