Rule of 6th's ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you were taught this at the basic/intro level, you were taught wrong. I'm familiar with the standards of 6 different agencies and they all state 1/6s.

I was taught 1/3rds of twins in both my cave courses (CDAA Deep Cavern + Cave, not sure how they equate to Basic/Intro exactly). Hadn't heard of sixths other than discussions online. :idk: I'm kind of interested now given I am going to Florida and Mexico next year, whether I'll have any restrictions like sixths...

Basic Cave Diving by Sheck Exley... Ten Recommendations... Rule 2; "Always use the 1/3 rule in planning your air supply."

I agree fully with the understanding that this is the upper (maximum/suicidal) range, and Exley stipulates that additional air should be reserved for current, visibility, restrictions, and decompress time.

I am intro only so I'm not questioning the 1/6th rule. But I did want to provide the standard I was using... for the sake of discussion.

When Sheck wrote that their was no "Basic Cave" course. He was referring to basic cave diving, like the basics of cave diving. At that time there was one cave course, no cavern, no intro, no basic, no apprentice.

ianr33:
Doesn't NAUI Cave 1 allow 1/3rds of doubles?

Don't know, that's not one of the agencies I'm familiar with.

Saspotato:
I was taught 1/3rds of twins in both my cave courses (CDAA Deep Cavern + Cave, not sure how they equate to Basic/Intro exactly). Hadn't heard of sixths other than discussions online. I'm kind of interested now given I am going to Florida and Mexico next year, whether I'll have any restrictions like sixths...

How many days training were your courses? Most locations won't care, but there are a few that do check cards and will go with the stricter of limitations if they aren't familiar with your certification.

How many days training were your courses? Most locations won't care, but there are a few that do check cards and will go with the stricter of limitations if they aren't familiar with your certification.

Cavern was five days and Cave four. Both had six dives but Cavern had a pool session as well.

Friends told me they were counted as Full Cave in Florida but my Cave course did not teach use of stages so I doubt it is equivalent to Full Cave.

Friends told me they were counted as Full Cave in Florida but my Cave course did not teach use of stages so I doubt it is equivalent to Full Cave.
Full cave doesn't cover stages. it should, but it doesn't. Instead we get to hear these stupid 1/3rds vs 1/2+200 threads which prove full cave divers can't do high school math.....multiple times a month.

IANTD Technical Cave covers stages...

Full cave doesn't cover stages. it should, but it doesn't. Instead we get to hear these stupid 1/3rds vs 1/2+200 threads which prove full cave divers can't do high school math.....multiple times a month.

Really? Ok, I thought I had seen it in some courses. I tried researching different courses overseas but there seemed to be big variations in what constituted 'Full Cave' so I was left a bit confused.

I was told by my instructor that they are probably going to introduce the use of stages at Cave level soon, sucks I missed out on that but anyway, I plan to do more cave training at a later stage to cover extra things like this, just haven't worked out what course yet :)

And 1/2+200... wat

IANTD Technical Cave covers stages...
NAUI/GUE Cave 2 do as well.

It's really stupid not to cover stages. If you can't stage dive, you have a year to go dive at the apprentice level.

And 1/2+200... wat
Some divers do stupid things like leave 2/3 of their gas in a bottle with 1 reg, in the front of the cave. It's a shame this isn't taught smartly in full cave IMO.

Cavern was five days and Cave four. Both had six dives but Cavern had a pool session as well.

I would bring a copy of your course syllabus to FL. I doubt anyone will want to see it but a half dozen sheets of paper documenting what's "behind" your card could come in handy if someone starts asking questions.

"Full cave" with most US based agencies is nominally defined as:
doubles
qualified to dive 1/3rds (if appropriate)
jumps, Ts, gaps
complex navigation like circuits & tranverses
deco (typically just O2 its not really an exhaustive deco course with various mixes and trimix etc.)

Stages sometimes are, sometimes aren't included depends on agency/course/instructor.

I would bring a copy of your course syllabus to FL. I doubt anyone will want to see it but a half dozen sheets of paper documenting what's "behind" your card could come in handy if someone starts asking questions.

"Full cave" with most US based agencies is nominally defined as:
doubles
qualified to dive 1/3rds (if appropriate)
jumps, Ts, gaps
complex navigation like circuits & tranverses
deco (typically just O2 its not really an exhaustive deco course with various mixes and trimix etc.)

Stages sometimes are, sometimes aren't included depends on agency/course/instructor.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I've heard it is pretty well accepted overseas but that won't hurt. Basically I am not interested in trying to gain access to sites I'm not qualified for, but I don't want to be restricted on things I am qualified for! :)

I was taught 1/3rds of twins in both my cave courses (CDAA Deep Cavern + Cave, not sure how they equate to Basic/Intro exactly). Hadn't heard of sixths other than discussions online. :idk: I'm kind of interested now given I am going to Florida and Mexico next year, whether I'll have any restrictions like sixths...

This was the same type course I had through NAUI.

This equates to a INTRO level cave diver limited to non-decompression linear penetration on a single tank with no T's, jumps or restrictions. Some INTRO courses allow doubles, but you have to limit the air time to same as single (1/6ths interestingly enough).

There are two other levels of cave certification above that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom