Rule of thumb for how much $$ to contribute? private boat diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The owner might not accept such a large sum of money, but you could take snacks, maybe something really good to eat like a homemade casserole or homemade cake, and a nice bottle of scotch/Chivas Regal or other quality liquor. If you eat on land you might also get the opportunity to buy the owner's dinner.

You will score huge points by offering to clean. Schlep tanks to the truck, take the garbage to the trash, keep yourself a great boat guest by keeping your "stuff in your corner" (quotes denote an expression that would turn out to be asterisks), bring snacks and water, offer beer when back at the dock. Rec-90 in Key West is almost 3 bucks a gallon, so it isn't cheap to fill the tank, but the guy is going anyway, so he's already invested in the fuel. Another way to score big is by casually mentioning that you would be willing to boat watch on subsequent trips. Back a million years ago when I learned to dive on an air force base in the middle of nowhere, we could take 4 divers, but had to maintain a boat watch on the boat. We rotated through the group of us so everyone sat out a dive a week. Until we found a young lady who wanted to tan topless while we were diving, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Anyway, point is, this shouldn't or needn't be a financial transaction. I would look at the situation and see if your boat owner has more money and wants to do fewer chores, or if the whole bunch is a budget operation. However you approach it, it's always appropriate to kick in some gas money. I would say that the equivalent you would pay for a spot on a DRIS boat is excessive.

Given the fact that I've got knee issues and often need help with *my* tanks, I'm not going to be schlepping someone else's! Some of the other stuff isn't possible as I'm 7 hours away, but I can help clean and bring some snacks, in addition to offering cash. Wookie, so would cutting that in half to $50 still be considered "excessive"?

I have no idea what marine fuel costs, all I know is it's pricey.

That was the number I had in mind, but as Lorenzoid said, I'd bet finding out is a simple task. Again, offering to rinse/clean isn't hard on the knees and is one of the most dreaded tasks of taking the boat out. At least you're in fresh water and won't have to deslime/desalt. Snacks doesn't have to be homemade, although cut fruit is always welcome. Thankfully, most large chain food outlets have it ready to buy in a nice variety. Even a bag of pretzels is nice, although they dry me out something fierce. CHex mix, pretzels, chips and salsa, that holds up well on the boat. Potato chips wilt under wet fingers.

Boats don't run on Thanks.

Definitely contribute to fuel cost and bring the post dive beers :)

Bring $40, beer, ice, a watermelon and jerky. Help clean the boat and you'll be everyone's favorite and get invited back. :)

Sounds good except for the beer...

Sounds good except for the beer...
It isn't about what sounds good to you. IJS

Back
Top Bottom