Rule of thumb for how much $$ to contribute? private boat diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have one guest who hides money on our boat. I hate that. I've told him not to give us anything but he does anyway. I'm going diving whether I take anyone else or not so I don't expect to be paid. I wouldn't invite someone over to dinner and expect it.
I also don't want help cleaning the boat. I have a routine and usually it's faster and easier if I do it myself.
A boat owner doesn't want any surprises. Listen carefully to his/her talk about safety procedures and location of equipment. If they have any rules about diving or what to do while onboard follow them to the letter. If you disagree with their rules stay home or play along while on their boat. If you stay out of the way, don't cause problems and don't impede anyone else's fun you will likely get invited back.
If you insist on helping with costs, do so after the trip. Buy them dinner or offer to help with fuel costs. If they ask you they will likely be in violation of their state's vehicle code.
My boat costs around $1,000 per month whether I use it or not. Slip fees, initial cost, maintenance, repair, insurance, property tax and fuel costs add up and a few bucks here and there are just a drop in the bucket. Bigger boats cost even more. If I needed help with these costs I shouldn't have purchased the boat in the first place. It's a steep investment but diving is all I do so I manage the costs carefully.
The cash my buddy leaves ends up going for lunch so it doesn't defray boat costs anyway.

We have one guest who hides money on our boat. I hate that. I've told him not to give us anything but he does anyway. I'm going diving whether I take anyone else or not so I don't expect to be paid. I wouldn't invite someone over to dinner and expect it.
I also don't want help cleaning the boat. I have a routine and usually it's faster and easier if I do it myself.
A boat owner doesn't want any surprises. Listen carefully to his/her talk about safety procedures and location of equipment. If they have any rules about diving or what to do while onboard follow them to the letter. If you disagree with their rules stay home or play along while on their boat. If you stay out of the way, don't cause problems and don't impede anyone else's fun you will likely get invited back.
If you insist on helping with costs, do so after the trip. Buy them dinner or offer to help with fuel costs. If they ask you they will likely be in violation of their state's vehicle code.
My boat costs around $1,000 per month whether I use it or not. Slip fees, initial cost, maintenance, repair, insurance, property tax and fuel costs add up and a few bucks here and there are just a drop in the bucket. Bigger boats cost even more. If I needed help with these costs I shouldn't have purchased the boat in the first place. It's a steep investment but diving is all I do so I manage the costs carefully.
The cash my buddy leaves ends up going for lunch so it doesn't defray boat costs anyway.

I'd love to come and dive on your boat and I PROMISE that I won't annoy you and offer to pay for anything or help or do anything but dive and have fun. I'll stay out of your way and not interfere with anything at all.

Heck, if any of your guests leave any money, I'll take care of it and buy me lunch. If your guests bring food, I'll wolf it down so fast, it wouldn't know it was there at all and you don't have to worry about it (if pork or alcohol, I'll dispose of them for you).

Last edited:
I asked boat owner and was told to just kick in whatever I felt like. Kicking in a $20, for example, seems like way too little. I'm going to offer what I would pay for a local charter here (rounded to $100).

You are invited on my boat any time :)

(if port or alcohol, I'll dispose of them for you).
is port a diving thing in Tripoli? If so, count me in. I'm sure I must need some NAUI instruction of some sort.

Too bad. Loves me some port. Thought you had a new middle eastern tradition to bring to America....

I have a 17 foot boat that I use for water skiing and wakeboarding. It consumed about 5 gallons of gas per hour. I'll only use it in calm weather for diving in the Hood Canal, that are about 30 minutes from my family's beach property.

So, for an hour to hour and a half ride each way that's 15 gallons max. Multiply that by $4 as a gross (non underpaying estimate), it gives you an idea of how much to ship in per person. Of course, larger boats will consume a lot more gas.

@Wookie, (or anyone else who has/had a boat)

What sized boat did you have? What was the ballpark fuel consumption per hour?

I only invite people to dive on my boat because I want to dive with them (or they are friends of my wife), either way I always refuse any offer of payments, although I appreciate that they offered!

I have a 17 foot boat that I use for water skiing and wakeboarding. It consumed about 5 gallons of gas per hour. I'll only use it in calm weather for diving in the Hood Canal, that are about 30 minutes from my family's beach property.

So, for an hour to hour and a half ride each way that's 15 gallons max. Multiply that by $4 as a gross (non underpaying estimate), it gives you an idea of how much to ship in per person. Of course, larger boats will consume a lot more gas.

@Wookie, (or anyone else who has/had a boat)

What sized boat did you have? What was the ballpark fuel consumption per hour?
Uhhhh. 100 feet. 2 gallons per mile at cruise. 10 gallons per mile hooked up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom