Russians at Blue Angel.... what's up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few years ago while staying at Residencias Reef, we had a large group of Russians staying at the resort. This group of mostly men with a few women were nothing short of awful. After diving it was nearly impossible to relax and chill at the beach or pool. The chain smoking, drinking and shouting was bad enough coupled by the Speedo clad man and woman heavily petting on the lounge chair which was frequently interrupted by security. They at one point they became confrontational with one of the landscapers who approached them about bringing glass bottles to pool area. Security was called again. I was eternally grateful that I was not on the same dive boat as this group. Despite several warnings by the Aura employees about chain smoking on the pier they became confrontational again and threw their lit cigarettes in the water. Fortunately they were only there a few days. I think everybody at the Residencias Reef breathed a sigh of relief when they left.

Ironically, on our dive boat we had a Russian couple. They could not have been nicer or more polite. Even they commented on the guys on the pier. This couple stated that the Red Sea is where most of the Russians go for dive vacations. With all the unrest and flying in/out of Egypt, many have been changing their plans to include the Caribbean.

I know I will probably catch hell for culture bashing and lack of PC, and it is certainly not my place to dictate who can visit the island. I enjoyed Cabo San Lucas, but was turned off by the young(primarily Americans) party scene. While I celebrate my vacations, I perhaps do it with less vigor than other cultures.......

The Russians I've met were cool as heck. As posted above you have a 50/50 chance of getting calm Canadian types, or the rowdy types. And they all seem to love Americans.

The rowdy types I've met were pretty harmless. Just trying to have fun. Yeah, I'd be a little pissy if someone btched about me having a glass bottle near the pool. That's pretty small potatoes as long as you don't drop it. Then again, if they were acting like grown adults, it likely would have been allowed. If you're obtuse and loud, you can't get away with such things.

I've never seen them get as bad as New Jersey. Or Panama City around spring break, or Fort Walton Beach, or......

Despite several warnings by the Aura employees about chain smoking on the pier they became confrontational again and threw their lit cigarettes in the water.....

American marketing got half the world addicted to our cigarettes.
Now the camels have come home to roost.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom