S.C. dive flag laws?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try Google. I searched on "South Carolina dive flag rules" and found a plethora of information and rules.

I always use a dive flag for safety reasons. Always, always, always. We have very fast boats in SC and occasionally one hits and kills a diver. In fact it happened not long ago. ALWAYS fly a dive flag. Always.

Below is a video I took of some back woods South Carolina boats getting ready to run the Cooper River. I took this video a few months ago immediately after finishing a few fossil dives. The location is only a mile from where a diver (with over 500 dives) was hit and killed a few years ago.

I get your meaning, my only worry is that since there's literally no one who ever dives in the local lake here, no one on the water is going to know what a dive flag is anyway. I'm really worried that the kids on jet skis are going to use it as a race marker or something.

That is a risk worth taking. It would not be a problem unique to SC. To not fly one would be worse.

Dale

I'm having a hard time finding any laws on dive flags in S.C. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
It's the Law: On the Water
Diver-Down Flags
Scuba divers or snorkelers should display a diver-down flag to mark their diving area.
Vessels must remain at least 50 feet away from the flag. If they have to approach the diving area, operators must have permission from the person who placed the flag or the boat displaying the flag.
Diver-Down Flag - South Carolina Boating License Laws and Safety Guide

[h=2]For Boaters in South Carolina[/h]

According to the South
Carolina Code of Laws
, the South Carolina Boating and Safety Act of 1999,
current through the end of the 2003 Regular Session, SECTION 50-21-87:
(A) A person may not operate a vessel within fifty feet of another
vessel when a diver is displaying a diver down flag (red with a diagonal white
stripe) to mark the location of the diver. When the flag is being displayed in a
water body too narrow to allow passage of another vessel other than within fifty
feet, a vessel operator may proceed only past the displayed flag at a no-wake
speed and allowing as much clearance between his vessel and the displayed flag
as is safe and practical.

(B) A person may not engage in diving
activities within fifty feet of a vessel whose occupant is fishing.

(C)
A person does not violate this section if he fishes or displays a dive flag in
an area before another person subsequently engages in diving activities or
operates a vessel within fifty feet of a displayed dive flag.​

Fly the flag. BTW, I've never heard of vis being better than a few feet in Lake Greenwood. Most of those folks come down to Clark Hill (AKA Lake Thurmond) or Jocassee for local diving. The Corps Rangers will write you a ticket (a pricey one at that) if you caught diving without a flag in Clark Hill (Lake Thurmond).

Back
Top Bottom