S90 + Ikelite housing : First Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not arguing and feel free to PM the answer (to me) but could you go over those reasons again since I am about to purchase this outfit. Best I can see it (S90) has the G11 stomped in the dirt and the G10 is just so yesterday. :blinking: What am I missing here? It uses the wet lenses I have, wet lenses yet to be designed, the Plexi and glass FIX UWL4, multiple lens adapters, compact size, very fast lens, shutter as fast as the G10, same sensor as the G11, the excellent front control ring and rear control rings, decent movie mode, typical battery life, larger LCD screen, very intuitive operation, pocket size even with housing installed. What is not to like? And, it is slightly less money.??

And, like I said before, I was teasing you on the drawing :). Our engineers make a CAD drawing in the morning and have the part in their hands that afternoon for test fitting. I don't know why you doubted they were making one? Once they have the drawing, the part is in the bag.

N

As an overall small camera, the S90 is pretty neat. For underwater use, the only tiny issue the G11 has is that it focuses a tiny bit closer. One could argue that the S90 is so small that cold water diving, with gloves would be an issue.

One could also argue that it does not "look" like a "real" camera...

The G10, if you only shoot in ISO 80 or 100, has far better resolution. If you don't shoot iso 80, it sucks (I only shoot at ISO 80... so love it).

After looking at the images, and comparing the S90 versus the G11...I'm getting an S90 to use as my warm water travel camera...I'm with you...

As an overall small camera, the S90 is pretty neat. For underwater use, the only tiny issue the G11 has is that it focuses a tiny bit closer. One could argue that the S90 is so small that cold water diving, with gloves would be an issue.

One could also argue that it does not "look" like a "real" camera...

The G10, if you only shoot in ISO 80 or 100, has far better resolution. If you don't shoot iso 80, it sucks (I only shoot at ISO 80... so love it).

After looking at the images, and comparing the S90 versus the G11...I'm getting an S90 to use as my warm water travel camera...I'm with you...

As a [relatively] cold water diver, I can tell you gloves are not any more of an issue than they are with ANY small housed camera (for me, at least). The buttons and controls on the S90 housings I've held are similarly sized to every other Canon (and Ikelite) housing I've held, including the G series housings.

As for Macro, for anything truly small I'll be using stacked Inon macro lenses anyway, so a centimeter or two of closeup focus doesn't matter a whit.

As for looking like a "real" camera, everything is relative. Most of the time, I prefer that it doesn't look like a "real" camera. (how many "real" cameras can be put in your front jeans pocket, for that matter?) The rest of the time, well, unless you're holding a DSLR, you're not using a "real" camera anyway.

The G10 has far better resolution? You mean the idiotic megapixel race? What purpose do the extra pixels serve when the quality of the sensor is not as high? That's why a DSLR's photos will often look sharper and cleaner than a P&S photos even if the P&S has the DSLR vastly out-pixeled. I've seen photos from a 6mp DSLR with breathtaking clarity and detail that utterly blew away a similar shot taken by a 14mp point and shoot for that very reason: sensor size. Pixels aren't everything, which is precisely why Canon went down from 14mp on a small sensor (G10) to 10mp on a much larger sensor (G11/S90).

Hello,

anyone knows how come so much time has passed and INON has not yet come out with the AD mount adapter for canon WP-DC35 case?

they wont make it?

how can I use my INON AD mount lenses with the WP-DC35 and Canon S90 ?

Hello,

anyone knows how come so much time has passed and INON has not yet come out with the AD mount adapter for canon WP-DC35 case?

they wont make it?

how can I use my INON AD mount lenses with the WP-DC35 and Canon S90 ?

The answer is NEVER. Inon rarely makes adapters for the square port housings ever so the answer is a big fat NEVER.

Which AD mount lenses, you might be able to rig your own DIY adapter for the AD macro lenses, wide angle--never gonna happen IMO, sorry.

Why ask Inon? Why not ask Canon why they build sucky housings with huge square ports that preclude the use of wet lenses? Good luck.

N

Well, he asked, :)

You know, when will Canon or Nikon take the guts out of a S90 type camera and stick it in a Nikonos III size waterproof frame with an environmental bayonet port that takes generic wet lenses and surface use lenses?

NEVER.

Why, because they are to busy making pink pocket camies for the You Tube Justin Timberlake gen and plastic dSLRs.

Meanwhile if the fellow wants a little camera with big possibilities I fear the FIX90/S90 is it, forget the Canon thing, not going to work out with the big schnoz port. The second best bet is the S90/Ikelite.

N

you are all very right, I agree with all of you, but the problem remains :(

is there any adapter for the canon WP-DC35 port so I can use INON AD mount lenses? or at least 6mm thread lenses?

what is the solution in order to use WP-DC35 with lenses?

thanks

Mario

you are all very right, I agree with all of you, but the problem remains :(

is there any adapter for the canon WP-DC35 port so I can use INON AD mount lenses? or at least 6mm thread lenses?

what is the solution in order to use WP-DC35 with lenses?

thanks

Mario

Let me repeat, no, there is no solution to your problem for wide angle Inon lenses. You can DIY for macro. The Canon DC-35 port is too long and incorrect for Inon wide angle lenses.

The solution is to buy a FIX90 housing, then your problem is solved. The next best solution is an Ikelite housing.

The third solution, since you are in Europe is to get with a shop that sells Dyron equipment, apparently this French company has a wide angle lens for the DC-35 housing.

Dyron, Photos

http://www.dyron.fr/page_article.php?id_article=75&cat_article=optique&language=2

This equipment is rare in the USA, maybe you buy it and test it out and give a report, thanks and in so doing answer your question.

You will NEVER get an Inon AD wide angle lens to work on the DC-35 without severe vignetting, there is NO solution. Inon lenses, including the threaded versions are designed for 35mm equivalent native lenses (save for the 28AD) and all of them by their design require a very close juxtaposition of lens elements that CANNOT be achieved with the DC-35 housing, you are SOL on that account.

N

Nemrod is absolutely right the Fix housing is a must !!.
You can find Dyron product , at Plongimage :

Plongimage - Plongimage - photographie sous-marine : caissons étanches, flash, accessoires...

send a message to Hubert , for the adaptater .
They have also this lense which does not has any vignetting with WP-DC 35 and S90 at 28 mm , look to that to get an idea of the wide angle that you can expect

Dyron=

the pictures on tha page have been taken with S90 in WP-DC 35 housing.
More of all this lense weight only 230 g ..perfect for travelling .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom