SAC & Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I call it Surface Respiratory Minute Volume, SRMV, reflecting it is the gas volume at 1 atm and not at depth, cf/min
This may be part of the problem. SRMV is redundant, since RMV is defined at 1 atm. As tempting as it is, we don't get to make up our own definitions, that path leads to confusion. Regardless of common practice by divers (myself included), if you go back to primary sources (like the Navy dive manual and the NOAA dive manual), RMV is volume/minute, SAC is pressure/minute; the latter has SURFACE in its name, so there should be no confusion, but of course there is, It doesn't help that PADI says SAC can be in pressure or volume, but at least they say RMV is always volume (I guess it helps to have VOLUME in the name!) It helps even less that TDI defines SAC as volume/minute, and asserts it is a constant, along with claiming that RMV is your actual breathing rate at depth, while working.

Conclusion? You need to know it, for you, whatever you want to call it. You'll probably calculate it as pressure/minute at depth, and convert that back to pressure/minute at the surface, so you have a single number to remember that you can use.at all depths....with that cylinder. You ought to go further and convert YOUR number to volume/minute, at the surface, because now you can use it for all cylinders.

This may be part of the problem. SRMV is redundant, since RMV is defined at 1 atm. As tempting as it is, we don't get to make up our own definitions, that path leads to confusion. Regardless of common practice by divers (myself included), if you go back to primary sources (like the Navy dive manual and the NOAA dive manual), RMV is volume/minute, SAC is pressure/minute; the latter has SURFACE in its name, so there should be no confusion, but of course there is, It doesn't help that PADI says SAC can be in pressure or volume, but at least they say RMV is always volume (I guess it helps to have VOLUME in the name!) It helps even less that TDI defines SAC as volume/minute, and asserts it is a constant, along with claiming that RMV is your actual breathing rate at depth, while working.

Conclusion? You need to know it, for you, whatever you want to call it. You'll probably calculate it as pressure/minute at depth, and convert that back to pressure/minute at the surface, so you have a single number to remember that you can use.at all depths....with that cylinder. You ought to go further and convert YOUR number to volume/minute, at the surface, because now you can use it for all cylinders.

In medicine, yes. I'm not so sure of scuba application, maybe

In medicine, yes. I'm not so sure of scuba application, maybe
I'm just using the Navy and NOAA Diving Manual definitions. PADI sort of agrees, TDI is way off in left field. It is no wonder that Joe Diver is confused.

Agreed!

If you are calculating something that changes according to cylinder volume, I don't have a clue how that could be useful other than if you only ever dive that tank. Surface L/Min means that irrespective of number of tanks or configuration you know what you use. No need for tank factors or any other nonsense.

Easy example - 12l filled to 200 bar= 2400l @1atm.
Surface consumption rate of 30l=80 mins
Therefore at 10m I have 40 mins, 20m 26 mins etc.

Easy to work a new tank - 10l filled to 230bar=2300l@1atm.
Surface consumption rate of 30l= 76 mins.

If everyone went metric - no issues.
As I'm from the metric side of the pond, my mind boggles that something like bar/min can have any meaning at all. I know folks who dive 10Ls, 12Ls, 15Ls, D7s, D8.5s and even D12s. Bar/min just isn't meaningful. I've never considered anything but surface liters per minute to have any meaning if we're talking about gas consumption. If that's RMV and not SAC, I really don't care. I'll just use 'gas consumption' and avoid the terminology issue completely :)
No! How can that be when your most fundamental Scuba instrumentation during a dive are a depth gauge, a timer/watch --and an SPG in pressure units?

If you know your nominal bar/min consumption rate at depth for the particular cylinder used --you already know by rote what your SPG is going to read after a five or ten minute interval of time. So if I started the dive with a full cylinder at 200bar, and have a depth consumption rate of 8bar/min, I know I will consume 80 bar in ten minutes and the SPG will read 120bar remaining pressure. If I then come up multi-level shallower to a new depth where my consumption rate is 4bar/min, I know in another ten minute interval I'll consume 40bar and the SPG will show 80bar remaining. By normal habit and experience over many dives --you just automatically begin to do this iterative subtraction & SPG tracking process. When you finally reach Min Gas Reserve pressure and confirm it on your SPG, you then start your ending ascent to safety stops & the surface. . . IOW, the SPG is telling you, confirming what you already know and figured in terms of remaining gas pressure.

Doesn't that make better sense than using volumetric time conversions at depth, on-the-fly during the dive? Your SPG reads in pressure units, not volume units.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone I get it now. Now just need to find out if my old 95s hold 95 cuft at the working pressure of 2400 or the 2640???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom