Sad day for my Force Fins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I should hope so. They are offering an OW course, not commissioning you as a navy seal.

Heck. If they WERE commissioning you as a Navy Seal that might require Force Fins.

you beat me to it. While I was stationed in Pearl Harbor, most of the Seals were using ForceFins. Mostly Black Pros and Smoke Black TanDeltas

What happened was that I took my PADI OW class in Okinawa with the same instructor, a retired Navy Hospital Corpsman Chief. Well he had all my forms to the end, sent in my friends' paper work to get their cert card and yet he didn't send mine. When I tried to find him, he was ducking and dodging until he basically vanished and I without a cert card.

I used to push for the PADI program. Ae you ready for the Sport Chalet style, I don't really have the time for hearing that Sport Chalet is not a dive store crap, either.

165.00 for PADI OW tuition, classes must have 4 or more to begin with
masks fins and snorkel 240-350
65-80.00 for books
50.00 for 2 day rental
4.00 for the folder
20.00 for the processing to PADI and the temp card form
8.00 per passport photo from USPS x 2 that is 16.00
defogger 4.75-7.00

At this whole time PADI just nickel and dime you and the SSI program is less hassle, really. The book has much more information than the PADI, too. Where I am taking it, my SSI instructor only works 2-4 at a time plus work around my schedule unlike my PADI instructors who whom will only do that kind for more money 350.00 charged on tuition alone! This is why I have more of a grudge against PADI.

As for many pairs of fins, I usually like to collect a line of products if I truly believe in them no matter the circumstances or my deficiency for my diving experience. Heck, I have went through 3 engines on my 98 honda civic (my fault.
The engines didn't break is that I wanted a better engine) and this car still called old reliable amongst my family, so far for my 6 year driving experience I had 3 honda civics and one subaru wrx sti. I traded in the 06subaru for an 06 civic ex. I like my hondas much more and thus, I collect products on a brand that I truly believe in.b That goes along with Force Fin.

As for beings set on why I am set on SSI because I like their structure much better, it is a take home program and not as near pressured as PADI's program. That LDS is very close to me, I honestly don't have many dive shops to choose from here.

As for purchasing a fin is because I don't see it in my budget right now. As for borrowing from a friend, I can do that.

Meesier42,

here is the information.

GR8DIVN > Home owned by Vickie and Ron Ruiz

my instructor is Anthony Romero.
Your Instructor

Meesier42, I called SSI and was linked to Watson whom he is part of the education department and told me that they can't do anything about it because they only supply the materials and don't mandate of a certain standard withing these malpractices.

How is it PADI is to blame for the troubles you had with this "instructor".??
Perhaps this guy was representing himself as a current instructor and is not.
Seems the cost you paid for the class was half of what most places charge..Was this guy a freelance person or associated with a store?
Its the so called instructor to blame,not PADI.. PADI can do nothing for you if the guy is a fake or never submitted your certication card request to them.
Seems to me you have another problem with the SSI facility also,but again it is not SSI's problem.

Probably, it is unfortunate events that I have come across. How am I to know better? Yes he was a free lance person that was referred from my "higher-up" as a great scuba instructor Who am I to know that the event would happen. Sure it was the instructor and I still have lost that money for almost no gains behind that matter. Trust me, $240.00 was significant for enlisted pay.

As for the money figures, I just showed that to share with everyone as how Sport Chalet charges divers for their OW/ other courses. Sure, you would save money, but in order to get this, you have to pay for this and get this." That is the part that I did not like. The fault probably wasn't PADI, it has to be Sport Chalet. Maybe PADI has a package that included all those forms, etc. in a set price at another local dive shop.

As for the SSI instructor, how am I to know that he would make a decision upon me like that. I am certain that if you were a beginning diver you would probably have made the same mistake or even make the same assumptions as I did. I apologize of being a real upcoming and newbie diver mistakes. Seriously, you didn't need to bust on my chops for that PADI AND SSI issue.

As to everyone else who has read into this whole Force fin ordeal has already has been resolved and thanks for all your support.

Last edited:
I really don't understand collecting a brand of products, but whatever.

How many pair of shoes do you have? Do you tend to buy a certain brand, and when new styles come out, or yours aren't as shiny as they used to be, do you get another pair? You may buy the same brand of shampoo and sometimes try the new stuff, just because it's your favorite brand.

I MAY have 23 pairs of Birkenstocks....... MAY.....Okay, I have 26, but who's counting, besides my husband? I know many divers who collect equipment. we all do to some extent or another. Heck I had three great pairs of fins and Still went and got Force Fins. Needed them? Nah, but I HAD to have them.

Just a little tidbit that you Force Fin aficionados may find useful... the SSI Southeast Regional Rep used to own a Scuba shop where he was the #1 seller of Force Fins in the USA.
:D
Rick

How many pair of shoes do you have? Do you tend to buy a certain brand, and when new styles come out, or yours aren't as shiny as they used to be, do you get another pair? You may buy the same brand of shampoo and sometimes try the new stuff, just because it's your favorite brand.
um, nope. I try or buy things that are what I need. Which may or not be the same brand as something I have. I'm not much of a brand lemming.

um, nope. I try or buy things that are what I need. Which may or not be the same brand as something I have. I'm not much of a brand lemming.

Well, good for you. I, however, find brands that are especially good, and tend to gravitate to them for return business. I also enjoy a salary that allows me this luxury. Lemming- hardly. Simply loyal to quality. I'm sure that the maufacturers appreciate people like me, and I doubt they would be so crass as to call that lemming behavior.

Zen Diver,I have many pair of Force Fins and the reason is I had to have them.
I also have Flat Feet that bother me so, I wear Birks inside my house and Hiking Boots with custom Orthotics outside. Before I became friends with the Fin Doctor I was a fan and wrote him a letter telling him how much I love his stuff. I myself have some brand loyalty except my $9.00 jeans I found at Wally world that were even made in the USA.

Well, good for you. I, however, find brands that are especially good, and tend to gravitate to them for return business. I also enjoy a salary that allows me this luxury. Lemming- hardly. Simply loyal to quality. I'm sure that the maufacturers appreciate people like me, and I doubt they would be so crass as to call that lemming behavior.
I'm loyal to quality, so I prefer to judge each product on it's merits. There's more than one quality brand for most things. Brand is a possible indication that a product is likely to be of quality or something I will like. But not that it's necessarily the logical thing for me to buy.

this is getting off track though, my comment was relative to "I usually like to collect a line of products if I truly believe in them no matter the circumstances"

I just don't see the logic in that. It could be the most wonderful quality whatever in the world but if it doesn't suit my needs, or I already have 10 similar things, what have I accomplished?

This is whack. The intention that I have posted for this thread has been resolved and nothing needs to be brought up again. Especially, for useless post fillers. :deadhorse:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom