Safari boat caught a fire and sunk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Here is the video:

In short, all happened this January in Andaman Sea to a local safari boat. Boat caught a fire due to (presumably) compressor failure. Everybody escaped the boat and rescued by local fisherman after ~30 minutes in the water.

Name of boat? Most aren’t wearing life jackets.

Last edited:
It was Charan.

Fire expanded very fast, it was just about 4 minutes fire since was noticed and everybody had to abandon the boat. Jackets were on the back of upper deck, so many of them burned down on the first minute and there were just a few of them.
If all the jackets were in cabins, nobody would have got it: it was impossible to get down to the first deck from the very beginning.

It was Charan.

Fire expanded very fast, it was just about 4 minutes fire since was noticed and everybody had to abandon the boat. Jackets were on the back of upper deck, so many of them burned down on the first minute and there were just a few of them.
If all the jackets were in cabins, nobody would have got it: it was impossible to get down to the first deck from the very beginning.

Very scary. Glad they were able to contact a fishing boat to rescue everyone. Makes me think how to handle/prepare for such emergencies. Can one even prepare since everything happened so fast?

Kee
Very scary. Glad they were able to contact a fishing boat to rescue everyone. Makes me think how to handle/prepare for such emergencies. Can one even prepare since everything happened so fast?
Keep a waterproof flashlight in your room, know exactly where it is. Pay attention to all safety briefings and notice (pause, think and actively engage your memory) regarding exits & your exact orientation related to the exit and the route out. Do this whether you are on a boat, plane or in a hotel. These seem to be the things "I made it out" folks tend to mention.

For example, last spring I spent more than an hour listening recordings of Estonia survivors telling their experiences of that night. this was at the Seaplane Harbour Meritime Museum, Tallinn, Estonia. A facinating part of the Estonia sinking exhibit, but quite sobering.

It was Charan.

Is this a liveaboard?

Holy COW!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom