Safety Stand Down - Power SCUBA - San Diego CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tep

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The following message was posted to the Power SCUBA meetup mailing list this morning. I'm passing it along with the permission of the author and operator of the meetup.

Personally, I like this kind of message; it reminds us that complacency is dangerous in our sport, and gives some focus for reflection on our diving habits, skills and risks.

-----------------------------
Folks,

Effectively immediately, for the next five days, Power Scuba will go into a voluntary Safety Stand-Down. All Organizers are asked to forgo hosting events and diving until 0700 on Saturday morning. Member are also asked to voluntarily not dive until Saturday and instead reflect and refocus on the various aspects of safety that surround our sport.

This past weekend, for the second time in less than two months, a member has gotten bent while on a Power Scuba boat trip. At least one of the instances was entirely preventable.

Our goal is not to embarrass anyone or make them feel bad. Rather, it is through the sharing of info and the telling of the story that others will learn and this avoid similar situations.

Our latest chamber-riding member, made two dives to a wreck in the 95-115 fsw range. Well-within the recreational limit, depths he'd dove before, no deco, and with an hour+ of surface interval between dives. During his surface interval after the second dive he became violently ill over the side of the boat and stated he didn't feel good. It was revealed he'd been drinking heavily the night before and had less than 4 hours of sleep. He passed a five-minute neuro check with flying colors, but to be safe he was put on O2 and asked to drink water while he was being monitored. The signs he was exhibiting were those of a classic hangover and sea sickness.

By the time the boat returned to the dock, the member was feeling only marginally better and stated he didn't feel like he could walk off the boat to get himself on dry land. Then, again, just to be safe, Baywatch and City Paramedics were called. They quickly decided they would transport him to Emergency Services where he was kept overnight and given chamber rides. He shared the doctor had informed him he had received a "serious hit".

I've deliberately left details out of this account as it's not my intention to share a full Accident Report with you.

The main take-away from this, then, is:

THERE IS NO BUTTON ON YOUR COMPUTER TO TELL IT YOU HAVE RISK FACTORS FOR THE BENDS. Some of those risk factors are:

1. Serious drinking the night before, resulting in the number one risk factor for a hit... DEHYDRATION. Any tech instructor (and most recreational instructors) will tell you that you MUST be well hydrated when diving... and drinking a cup of water after a night of binge drinking ain't gonna cut it.
  2. Age - The more you're on the plus side of 50, the more this risk factor increases.
  3. Being cold/cold water
  4. Smoker
  5. Fitness level/elevated body fat %
  6. Pre-existing Injury or illness - Can affect normal circulation
  7. Exercise - <12 hours after dive and (many now think) BEFORE DIVE as well
  8. Diving like an idiot
"But, but, but... I dove well, didn't violate my computer, and didn't go into deco, yet I still got hit."

Here me well on this, folks: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN UNDESERVED HIT. You may not know why you got hit (you may never find out), but there's always a reason. The PC crowd now wants to change "undeserved hit" to "unanticipated hit"... for the reason I just stated. Well, to my thinking, MOST hits are unanticipated. In my world, a hit is a hit is a hit.
event_463125896.jpe

Doesn't mean the diver isn't a good person. Both of our recent cases are, but KNOWING that a hit can come out of the virtual blue, doesn't that then behoove us all to dive just a little more conservatively? I think it does.

• Don't push the limits... and if you do, give yourself MORE STOP TIME, than your computer sez you need. That three minute safety stop? Make it six+.
  • Doing a recreational deep dive (100-130)? Throw some deep stops into the equation.
  • Don't always butt up against the NDL limits of your computer.
  • Don't set your computer to the liberal mode... ever.
  • Sometimes, breath Nitrox on an air table (while obeying your MOD of course).
This email to you should see me acting in my role as head cheerleader. I have upcoming events I want to tell you about. Instead, I'm launching us into a safety stand-down for the next five days. You, our member, are worth the diversion. You're worth my time. Your safety is worth Power Scuba's attention.

Power Scuba prides itself on being more safety conscious than the average club or org... and yet here we are.

Let us all... ALL OF US... think about what our dedication to safety REALLY is in this sport and whether or not we're just paying it (safety) a bit of lip service.

Every morning this week, through Friday, I'll send you all a safety-oriented email or article link. Please give them your consideration, share the info, and help us to help you all be safe.

Yours,

Bill Powers

Power Scuba President

www.powerscuba.org

Very well done. If you don't slow down and do a real assessment, then things keep spiraling out of control.

Great to hear!! I am not sure if you are from the military or aerospace (both) but this is a valuable way of reviewing procedures and keeping everyone safe. I have experienced it several times in military aerospace when we were trying to do things never done before. Sometimes you need to stop and review. I applaud you!! We are all one big community.

"One of our club members was driving under influence and crashed his car. We suggest that all club members refrain from driving for a week to reflect on that unfortunate event". Looks like a bit of an overreaction and unnecessary drama to me.

Wow twice in two months, yet in plenty of time for their weekend boat trips. This club has had a history of accidents. This club is also known for its love of drinking too. I hope the person involved has a smooth recovery.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN UNDESERVED HIT."
So why does this business continue to have so many?
Answer; "things are "spiraling out of control."

"If you don't slow down and do a real assessment, then things keep spiraling out of control." Key word is "REAL."
This notice or 5 days of "reflection" means nothing if the leaders of the business do nothing to change their status quo.

It is the leadership that communicates what is accepted/acceptable. If leadership demonstrates and encourages sub-adult behavior, it's club members are more likely to act that way. It is a tolerance thing.

This guy should try being a leader and finding solution to his companies problems instead of whining about words and liberals.

Last edited:
Kudos to Mr. Powers. It's nice to see a dive shop taking the lead on diving safety.

I would respectfully disagree with his characterization of decompression illness and submit that there is such a thing as an unanticipated/unexpected hit. We can certainly control some risk factors like being cold on decompression and working hard on the bottom, but the fact remains that no decompression algorithm is perfect, and the deeper and longer the dive, the less perfect they all become. A diver can do his/her level best to avoid decompression sickness and still get bent. The terminology has evolved from "deserved/undeserved" to "expected/unexpected" in part to help remove the stigma around DCS that still exists in the diving community.

I also disagree with his advice to add deep stops to recreational (i.e. non-technical) dives greater than 100 feet. Doing this indiscriminately can actually increase the risk of DCS by increasing nitrogen uptake.

That said, I don't want to detract from his overall message of remaining mindful of safety, which certainly bears repeating.

Best regards,
DDM

Last edited:
I was a DoD contractor 'way back in the day' - I saw safety stand downs at both Navy and Marine Corp bases at different times over the years. It seemed to make an impression.

Mr powers isn't a dive shop it's a Meetup group. He notorious for partying then diving the next day, as is his group. Yes every diver is responsible for their actions. But when the same group keeps having accidents it's hard to ignore.

Maybe it's a culture thing within their own group. Kind of like the skiers that meet up on Friday night in Colorado, party it up and then hit the slopes Sat morning.

Back
Top Bottom