Salty fingers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
Why does all the skin peel off the tips of my fingers whenever I get in saltwater? Is it because I cut my nails too short sometimes?
It's rather painful :(

Gidds:
Why does all the skin peel off the tips of my fingers whenever I get in saltwater? Is it because I cut my nails too short sometimes?
It's rather painful :(

saltwater has a drying effect. Good for acne and poison ivy...bad for those with dry skin.

Try to moisturize often between dives. Oh and take up guitar....the callouses on the fingertips that result will get you used to fingertips peeling :wink:

Louie:
I think it's from putting on and taking off the wetsuit - all that neoprene rubbing on your fingertips and cuticles.

You'll get used to it if you dive often - one of the hazards of the sport.

Hmmm... I guess my fingers are beyond hope.

So when are you coming down to dive the kelp forests with me Louie?

ScubaSixString:
saltwater has a drying effect. Good for acne and poison ivy...bad for those with dry skin.

Try to moisturize often between dives. Oh and take up guitar....the callouses on the fingertips that result will get you used to fingertips peeling :wink:

Guitar! Yeah! I play and I agree I get more peeling from playing than diving. Hah. :D

I have used a lotion called Gloves in a Bottle. I got it from our local drug store, and it worked great! I even use it on my face.
I used to come out of the water being totally pruned up, but it's not been a problem since I've used it.

Last summer I think I did a couple of hundred dives over the season and I received as bad case of trench hand as a result. Keys: Disenfect gloves and dry them thoroughly to prevent fungal infestation, Betadine or a mild bleach solution for cleaning helps. I treated with OTC antifungals alternating with Bag Balm in gloves at night. This season, having had to cut down on water time significantly, doesn't seem a problem. I had noticed prior to this that I always desquamated both hands and feet, usually a week after any good dive vacation. My hands are peeling presently, coutesy of a GREAT trip to Florida!!

Louie:
Would love to get away!! Never done kelp forests before.

Aren't there kelp forests along the B.C. coast?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom