Salvage of 460 Gold Bars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr Akimbo the two hardcovers are the same book one is just smaller size smaller print thinner old paper

I would most definitely purchase the jacketed old book first link, and also for a more modern perspective
from a historical diving guy Geoff Maynard find yourself a copy of Niagras' gold from the many available

009.jpg
010.jpg

Salutations to all

I will have to hunt down a copy of Gold From The Sea. On a similar vain and time frame I recommend Rasing The Queen by Jerry Korn. It's set in the early 1950s.

still 5 unaccounted for, approx 2.95 million at current spot pricing
I believe those bars made it aboard thru the back door...

That was an extraordinary operation for the time, though not record setting for depth or value of gold salvaged. I wish someone would write a thread on Johnno Johnstone and the RMS Niagara gold salvage for our Diving History forum.

BTW, I think you have a typo. The Niagara sank in 70 fathoms (128m/420'), not 40.
theres a vhs video doc of the salvage - a mate has a copy or you might be able to watch online somewhere

it may not be playable but you can do a search on niagras leaking oil
it may well get more attention in the next few years

Grappling claw directed by an observer in the diving bell
I did a tin ingot salvage in the Straits of Taiwan in 1985 and we used a peel grab to run into the blown-open hold to pull the ingots to surface, where they were dumped on the deck & hosed down - quite an adventure! You can read the tale here:

Oil belching hey amazing how the **** we do catches up with us

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom