Sanctum Movie: Decompression Sickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a movie !!!!! Sky divers do the same thing with skydiving movies.... ( Dropzone and Cut a way ) Were both written , produced and directed by a skydiver friend.... The move is for making money... light on facts big on story line..

It's a movie !!!!! Sky divers do the same thing with skydiving movies.... ( Dropzone and Cut a way ) Were both written , produced and directed by a skydiver friend.... The move is for making money... light on facts big on story line..

Completely agree. I guess I only nit-pick because it was obvious that they tried so HARD to get it right. The movie is peppered with diver-isms ad nauseam. Why put that much effort in and then fall short when millions of dollars are being spent? If even I can spot these errors, surely a single expert consultant could have resolved them. Sometimes the closer you come to success, the less excusable the failure.

My favourite fail of cut away must be walking across the drop zone with the cutaway and reserve deployment cables sticking up from the shoulder.. It kinda screamed drill rig :p

One subtle problem I had with the movie is more than a little bittersweet in recollection.

I had read that the divers who acted as the stunt doubles had to tone down their skills in order to play the part of less experienced divers. I thought of that when I saw the diver who played the young woman who was supposedly really not even a diver at the start of the adventure, the one who later got her hair tangled. The diver playing her in the water looked like a pretty darn good cave diver, not someone who was essentially doing a Discover Scuba class in a cave.

Her stunt diver was a truly extraordinary diver, former ScubaBoard member Agnes Milowka. Agnes died exploring deep, deep into a cave in Australia not long after making the movie.

You guys are a tough crowd. I saw it for the first time this week. It's a movie, and had some interesting to watch dive scenes. Lot of little oddities like the ones mentioned, but it's not supposed to be a real life documentary. It was entertaining in my opinion. They did cover a lot of details I would not have expected to see in a movie. Deco on O2, bailout bottles on rebreathers, buddy breathing etc.

I'm guessing the errors weren't really errors at all. Probably embellishments to make it more exciting. It would not have been a very interesting film for the mainstream if they went down and did a nice long cave dive, sat in deco for 5 hours and went home.

What's more exciting to watch in a movie, a guy complaining about sore joints or a guy coughing up blood?

I'm surprised nobody is complaining about them cave diving with articulated fins.

Holy crap - I have to re watch it and look for reasons why they should ALL be dead.. well, not many didn't die, but you get my drift...

I dont think the target market for the movie was divers....its very very loosely based on a true story that happened 20 years before. The reality of what happened would have been a great movie for divers (not sure if there is any way to get hold of the original documentary Nullabor Dreaming 1988 other than here NULLARBOR DREAMING (1989) - Watch Online For Free on TubePlus) but that probably wouldnt draw a lot of crowds into cinemas.

Watched it once over a year ago.
Watched it again today.

Not a horrible movie. Pretty much what I'd expect in a diving movie... drama, stupidity, disaster after disaster.

The guy's girlfriend was the worst part and it was kind of a relief when she was done.

Back
Top Bottom