Sanctum Movie: Decompression Sickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in the same boat with poor recollection of the movie but do recall that the father coughed blood when he was thrown onto the ground and IIRC a stalagmite stabbed him.

Is it possible to have a good recollection of a poor movie ? :) I have seen bits and pieces of it and from a diving perspective it is a total waste of time. Maybe the story is ok, but i usually have a hard time ignoring the parts that are not "lifelike".

For instance movies where a "hacker" is looking at a screen that clicks everytime a character is displayed, or the CSI IT experts lingo. Those things bug me too much to appreciate the story. I just will not waste my time on a movie like Sanctum.

I thought it was a well made movie that was pure torture to watch, because it's just one bad thing happening after another.

So anyway, the coughing up blood, was this from barotrauma, or was it nitrogen-induced? I know that it's typically more likely to be barotrauma, but I would think that nitrogen bubbles could cause an air embolism in the lungs resulting in hemoptysis.

Hi Matt,

Inappropriate ascents can result in circulating gas bubbles expanding too quickly, causing lung tissue injury, including possible damage to alveoli.

Therefore, “nitrogen-induced” arterial gas embolism in the pulmonary circulation may result in hemoptysis, among other signs and symptoms. The primary cause of such AGE in divers is pulmonary barotrauma, which often goes otherwise undetected.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Whether he got the bends or dcs, couldn't he just go down with his rebreather and decompress? I think remembering that he was shivering, thus having a higher likelyhood of more complications if he did go back down.

I just rewatched Sanctum this weekend for laughs. Not sure it was meant as a comedy, but it certainly provides a few hours of chuckles.

My response to most non-divers or new divers who ask me about it: "please ignore this movie in its entirety" :)

I'm really late to this party, but I just saw the movie and had a couple of questions for those more familiar with the sort of diving depicted:

The bailout bottles used by the rebreather divers have big OXYGEN stickers on them. Is oxygen an appropriate gas for bailout? I don't know more than the basic concepts of rebreather diving, but this doesn't seem right to me...

**spoilers**

During the first diving scene, when one diver is killed off in a transparent ploy to intensify the mood of the film, the two characters didn't take their bailouts with them through a tight restriction into an unknown area. Would this ever realistically happen?

One guy gets severe dcs even though they decompressed for an hour after a short swim through a cave using rebreathers. Wha? I know they established that he's taken a hit before, but still, this is one of many things in this film that feels like it only happened because the plot demanded it.

I'm really late to this party, but I just saw the movie and had a couple of questions for those more familiar with the sort of diving depicted:

The bailout bottles used by the rebreather divers have big OXYGEN stickers on them. Is oxygen an appropriate gas for bailout?

No. Just one of the many stupid things wrong with this movie. There were some other threads discussing the rest.

Although it probably does not qualify as a movie, I have seen much worse from him recently, and it makes me wonder what he is up to, frankly.

It was a History Channel presentation on archaeological evidence of the events described in Exodus. Cameron introduced it, and it had all sorts of high production visual effects you would expect from him as a producer. It starred the idiot who did the History Channel's series Naked Archaeologist, which is to archeology what McDonald's is to fine cuisine. Anyone who knows a thing about archaeology knows this guy knows nothing about it. In one NA episode, for example, he was trying to prove that some ancient group was present at some site in the past. The real archaeologist being interviewed said there was no way you could conclude that because there was absolutely no evidence for it. The NA replied that there was no evidence that they weren't there either, such as an inscription that said, "These people were never here." The real archaeologist just looked at him as stunned disbelief as the NA determined that the fact that there was no sign of these people proved that they must have been there. The entire Cameron-produced show on the Exodus was filled with such idiocy.
If you make a film/series/"documentary" based on a 2000 year old book that is based on beliefs and not proven facts - how can it NOT be filled by such? :eek:

---------- Post added July 7th, 2014 at 12:18 PM ----------

Of course, you could just angle the whole thing towards "this is nothing but a made up fictional story invented for people to be controlled by the religious leaders" but that'll go down well.. Especially in the US...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom