SAP to La Ceiba - fastest way to get to the ferry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrethediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can someone provide some information on the fastest way to get from San Pedro Sula airport to the ferry to Roatan in La Ceiba? Our flight gets into SAP around 11am and I am concerned that given 3 hour long drive + an hour to clear the customs at the airport we only have about an hour 'buffer' before the last ferry to Roatan (4:30PM it seems). If the taxi is the best way to go, what is the usual fare? Thanks.

Check with Morgans travel to catch a flight to LC or direct to Roatan from SPS. There is a link to Morgans at Aboututila.com

Check with Morgans travel to catch a flight to LC or direct to Roatan from SPS. There is a link to Morgans at Aboututila.com

Air Sosa flight from SAP is still more expensive compared to taxi fare to La Ceiba and ferry to Roatan. Also, return flight will not get back in time to check onto our flight...

We hired a taxi to take us....their taxis are small and we needed a van with four or us and our dive gear, We did it on the return from Roatan and where we stayed called about it for us,
Where are you staying? Maybe they can set something up for you to have a driver waiting,
I think we paid $130 for the taxi. If you take the bus it stops all along the way from what I have heard.
Hope this might help some. Have a great trip.

We won't bring too much gear so a regular cab will do. How long was La Ceiba-SAP drive time for you? Trying to estimate whether we can make the last ferry to Roatan that day, with all the stops I don't think we can rely on the bus. Thanks.

Im getting ready to head to Utila for Aug and im hopping the flight in on SOSA however to make my return flight im taking the early ferry to LC and then flying SPS. Whole thing is about 220USD including ferry. I would think that a SPS to Roatan schedule would be similar. Talk to one of the travel agencies on Roatan for assistance...they can be great in assuring that u get where u need to be when u need to be there even if its by bus.
The travel between SPS and La Ceiba appears to be just luck of the draw...ive seen posts where people say 2 hours to others who took 4+ ..I would think that it just depends mostly on the driver and the conditions.

hope you work it out and have a great time!

I really didn't pay much attention to how long the ride was.... no watch to look at and we had plenty of time. Then our flight to Miami was late leaving by about an hour. You are definately on island time. I think it was a little under 3 hours. I just asked my son and that is what he said. He had the watch! What time does your flight leave SAP?

The bus (Hedman Alas) won't work for you. They have a 2:45 departure and it's a 3hr. bus ride. so you'd never make the last Galaxy. Both times we've been on the ferry, it left right on time. If you can somehow get an earlier flight, here's the bus schedule: http://www.hedmanalas.com/sapenglish.htm

and the Galaxy ferry webpage:
http://safewaymaritime.com/index.php?l=en

You were right about 4:30 being the last departure. Also first class is worth the extra $10 r/t, it has A/C and better seats/view. There is a security checkpoint outbound also at both terminals, it's fast but they also took my airline legal roller bag there and checked it.

Getting your luggage on arrival is a zoo, they have a big covered area in which they dump all the bags - when you spot yours you have to get the attention of someone to bring it to you - and they do check claim tickets. It took the better part of a 1/2hr. or so - longer on the LCE end as there were more people on our ferry from Roatan. At both terminals there were lots of cabs waiting.

fwiw, the ferry terminal in La Ceiba is a little outside the city to the south(?)

Last edited:
I just did the drive 2 weeks ago with a private driver. It is an easy 3 hour drive to the ferry port in Ceiba. All the bridges were up and no protesters causing delays. Customs is very slow, they manually type in all your information then take your picture. Plan on a good hour after the plane lands.

Back
Top Bottom