Suggestion Sarcasm font

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
lowwall

lowwall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
˙ɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ ɟo ɐǝɹɐ suoᴉʇsǝƃƃns ǝɥʇ uᴉ ɐǝpᴉ ʇɐɥʇ ʇsod plnoɔ noʎ ǝsoddns I ¿ʇuoɟ ɯsɐɔɹɐS
Following @SlugMug's suggestion, could we please have a sarcasm font? I think most sites just use a monospaced font like Courier New, but a Comic Sans lookalike would also work.

I voted for it BUT......
How about everyone just man, or woman, the f up. We are talking diving here, not brain surgery. Why does a place that allows you to type your thoughts cause so many people to think their thoughts have value and that they can't be challenged or mocked?
Excuse me.

You appear to be confused.

I am important.

How about this one?

🙃
Upside-Down Face emoji​

There is a possibility that I can add a tooltip to the whole string.
I just found out that this discussion predates the internet by over 300 years. This backwards question mark - ⸮ - called a percontation point seems to have been the general favorite although it never got anywhere. It is a Unicode character so it's available if we want it.

In 1668, John Wilkins, in An Essay towards a Real Character and a Philosophical Language, proposed using an inverted exclamation mark to punctuate ironic statements. In 1841, Marcellin Jobard, a Belgian newspaper publisher, introduced an irony mark in the shape of an oversized arrow head with small stem (rather like an ideogram of a Christmas tree). The next year he expanded his idea, suggesting the symbol could be used in various orientations (on its side, upside down, etc.) to mark "a point of irritation, an indignation point, a point of hesitation". - Irony punctuation - Wikipedia

Irony or sarcasm in text. ⸮

:checkbox:

/s already exists.

I just found out that this discussion predates the internet by over 300 years. This backwards question mark - ⸮ - called a percontation point seems to have been the general favorite although it never got anywhere.

Herein lies the problem. Everyone not knowing that a font or symbol denotes a sarcastic remark defeats the purpose. Keep in mind that we typically have about 4x as many readers as members, from all over the world. A newbie that finds ScubaBoard through a Google Search should not require "inside information" to tell the difference between jesting and personal attacks.

Personally, [SARCASIM] is looking better as a prefix and suffix compared to a potentially ambiguous graphic. For readers who are not familiar with BB-code, the square brackets and "/" are used for hidden formatting controls.

Reminder​

1668220342082.png
Please up or downvote this suggestion. We normally look for a positive response of about 25 votes to implement a suggestion. Note that you can change your vote at any time.

What that implementation ends up looking like is still evolving so may influence you vote.

Oh, jeeezzzz. Sarcasm tags are just a bloody gateway drug.
Pretty soon we're also going to need marker tags for:
  • Irony
  • Whimsy
  • Passive aggressive
  • Fawing adoration
  • Not enough coffee yet grumpiness
  • Too many BEvERages know-it-all-ness
And they need to be stacking since none of this is mutually exclusive.

ETA: Now that I've thought about this, Akimbo, please apply the "Whimsy", "Passive aggressive", and "Too many BEvERages ..." tags when you get it figured out. :wink:

Thinking more about this, I have written special BB-code routines that format text, pullquote for example:

[PULLQUOTE]Enter your sarcastic comment.[/PULLQUOTE]
Automatically produces:

“ Enter your sarcastic comment. ”

We could use text something like this?
[SARCASIM]Enter your sarcastic comment.[/SARCASIM]
Automatically produces:
[SARCASIM]Enter your sarcastic comment.[/SARCASIM]

Note that "[SARCASIM]" and "[/SARCASIM]" are automatically added along with font, size, and color changes. I haven't seen a good emoji that would be unambiguous, but would like to add one.

Add it to the format shortcut menu. Here's the limited set of formatting choices from windycitygridiron.com (Go Bears! That is, go for higher draft picks and we'll get back to you next year.)

View attachment 753078

I don't mind your idea of bracketing it with an appropriate image if we can't do a font. But I think I like the wink better.

:wink: Breaking news. Tursiops nominated for Nobel Peace Prize. BoltSnap decides Scubapro sucks and is all in on his new love AMF Voit. happy-diver posts three completely coherent paragraphs. In a row.:wink:

On a maybe more constructive note, I agree that something that is language independent, and does not require SB culture-specific knowledge would probably be best. "Sarcasm" is not likely to be prime vocabulary for those who's primary language is not English.

Maybe [eye-roll emoji] ... [/eye-roll emoji]

If you can add an additional font that is unique to the purpose, all the better, but please don't use the monospace font (Courier), we kind of need that for simple tables/lists.

^ See? Sometimes you really can't tell if someone is being sarcastic based on the text alone.

Well, duh.

Sometimes I can not tell myself if I am being sarcastic or not….

Back
Top Bottom