Sat May 26th, WBP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Generally I haven't done deep stops at WBP dives because we are following the bottom contour and rising with it, as opposed to ascending on a line. However I have at other places and definately noticed a correlation between the ascent speed, stops, and tiredness. There is actually a decent article in dive training magazine which is a freebie you s/b able to pick up at most LDS around town.

I'm going to be a little late, so I may miss the first dive. My dive computer needs a new battery and I'm going for the cheap insurance of having a dive shop change it. Glad there is a dive shop five minutes up the road from the lake.

don't know what everybody elses schedule is, but mine changed. the outlaws are no longer comming and the wife is shopping all day so I can dive as much as I like! I'll be trying my new "long hose" configuration :)

Please remember guys that this is Memorial Day weekend...at the LAKE!!! Everyone and their brother will be hitting the park. You better get there early or risk not being able to get into the park at all. You "old timers" that's been diving at WBP for years will know what I'm talking about.

Also think and practice safety tomorrow. It was last year this weekend that The Kraken and myself actually witnessed a big pontoon boat drive right up to a really big, inflatable dive flag that had written on it "Diver Below" and start PULLING the flag up and out of the water!!! Once we yelled across the cove the guy on the boat dropped the flag. NEVER attach the dive flag to yourself!! Also beware that jet skiers usually use your dive flags as a slalom course and they do not respect the "boaters keep out" buoys and DNR and rangers are usually not out to do anything about it anyway.

We'll go over it before the dive tomorrow but on Memorial Day weekend at Lake Lanier it's usually best to be a few pounds over weighted and try to follow a compass heading back to the exit point. Again with all the boat traffic it would be dangerous to ascend to the surface unless it is an emergency.

I will see you all in the morning. My day hasn't changed and I will be at the park around 8:30am. If everyone else wants to come later just let me know.

J:

Hey all!
I am new to this forum, but would love to dive with y'all this weekend...............when and where do you meet?

Lucas

Welcome to the board Lucas,

We will be meeting up at Lake Lanier, specifically West Bank Park. I will be there at about 8:30am - 9:00am. Tomorrow morning. Park admission is $4.00 (unless they went up again).

Take Georgia 400 north to exit #14 (GA 20) (this may have changed since new exit construciton)
Take exit #14 to GA 20 east - turn Right onto Ga 20
Proceed to Sanders Rd. (approx 1/2 mile on the left after turning onto GA 20)
Turn left onto Sanders Rd.
Proceed to Buford Dam Rd. (first traffic light)
Turn right onto Buford Dam Rd.
Proceed to West Bank Park (if you cross the dam, you've gone too far)
Turn left into West Bank Park

Hope you make it lucas, bring a thick wetsuit if ya got one and hood and gloves. If not a thick wetsuit then prepare to be a little cold.

J:

Unfortunately, tomorrow am I need to run by the dive shop, so I cant up to the Lake early...............with y'all be doing any other dives this weekend?

Lucas

Lucas, we usually try not to dive late in the afternoon, because that is were most of the boats are on the lake. I would love to dive with you sunday morning though.

Hey all, it was good metting up with everyone today at the lake. It had been far too long since I'd blown any bubbles. I got in 2 dives down to about 60' where the water was a cool 53 degrees. Water felt really warm about the 23-27' termocline. Can't wait to get back out for some more dives.

even though I was only able to get in one dive I enjoyed it. We had quite a crowd out today. Had a blast.

J:

Back
Top Bottom