Save a Dive Kit - What's really needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tigerdiver

Reaction score
I've read several articles about what one needs in a save a dive kit like extra o-rings, or a strap, but just like in backpacking has "the 10 essentials" what are the essentials in a save a dive equipment kit ie what are your suggestions or "wish I would have had ..." experiences?

Just do a search on this board, there are about 10 articles on this that I have read, and your question is the same as all of them

Let's just cut to the real essentials.
The two most important things in a Save-a-Dive kit are a credit card and a 100 dollar bill.
E. itajara

You need the one item that breaks. It's impossible to know what that will be in advance. Some things break often, others (straps) rarely, but are so cheap, it would be crazy not to have them handy. Your skills will also determine what you want to carry. Everyone should have straps (mask & fin), o-rings, cable ties, shoe strings, wire cutters, mouth pieces, and minor medical supplies. If you are an equipment tech, you'd also want rebuild kits and tools. I usually carry a spare regulator. It depends on skills and space available.

There seems to be a vast number of opinions on what is "needed" in a save-a-dive kit.

some peopl carry just the absolute essentials, some carry a kit the size of a dive bag! LOL

I personally carry a kit of o-rings, spare mouthpiece, spare mask strap, and a bunch of cable ties. This covers pretty much all the little problems, I've run into, anything bigger than this, and I'll need to find a shop to do repairs.

If I'm going to be in a remote area, I would guess that I would assemble a full set of spares for pretty much all my equipment, but this would be on a per-trip basis.

Ok, I have a kind of dumb question......I've (finally) put together my save a dive kit, and I have all the standard stuff, and my personal essential extras--but one.

Where would I find spare fin straps? The only ones I've ever seen are in those kits the dive shop sells with O-rings, mask straps, etc., and for just those few things (which I already have, except the fin strap), they are @ $15. A bit much for just one item I need. I haven't found any shops that sell JUST fin straps....can they be bought directly from the manufacturer of my personal fin brand?

Also, Walter: Could you possibly tell us how to make one of those handy dandy PVC noisemakers of yours. I've got the general concept, but don't quite know what to ask for when I walk into the Home Depot. And then, how do you attach it to your BC?

KBeck once bubbled...
Also, Walter: Could you possibly tell us how to make one of those handy dandy PVC noisemakers of yours. I've got the general concept, but don't quite know what to ask for when I walk into the Home Depot. And then, how do you attach it to your BC?

Walter uses a *gasp* rattle? :wacko:

RD&G :D

Marc

duct tape and zipties..

Krista,

I find fin straps in dive shops, if you dont see them, ask and possibly look in another shop.

There's a description of how to make the noise makers in one of the wreckmania threads from last year. I don't have any, I've never had any and I've never made one, but I'll make one for you. Wanna dive on Saturday?

I forgot to mention - snorkel keepers. Always have snorkel keepers in your kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom