Save a Dive Kit - What's really needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter once bubbled...

There's a description of how to make the noise makers in one of the wreckmania threads from last year. I don't have any, I've never had any and I've never made one, but I'll make one for you. Wanna dive on Saturday?

Glad that got straightened out. :D

Marc

Krista,

You'll have one when I see you on Monday. I'll make one for you one evening this week.

Walter

TRIPTONE for those dive buddies who tend to throw-up on everyone.

You'll save your dive if you give him/her/them TRIPTONE.

And, cleaning your gear after the dive isn't as bad when you don't have to clean off someone elses breakfast. If you know what I mean. Sorry, I hope that didn't offend anyone but I've been there. TRIPTONE.

TRIPTONE. Don't leave home without it.

: ) R

My current "save a dive kit" is actually broken into 4 different small packages.

In my reg bag, I have a spare long hose, spare high pressure hose and spare inflator hose. I also carry a spare 1st stage and spare 2nd stage.

In my toolkit which is a Pelican 1050, I carry two adjustable wrenches, a metric and an imperial allen wrench sets and screwdriver with room to spare. I also have xeroxes of my DAN insurance card and a copy of my cert card in this box.

In the parts box which is another Pelican 1050 drybox, I carry spare hair bungies, Voton o-rings, o-ring pick, o2 grease, zip ties, a few feet of bungee, a few feet of 25# line, some spare 1st stage port plugs, 2 spare bolt snaps, 2 spare d-rings 2 spare webbing keepers, spare C cells, Dramamine and Ibuprofen. I also store my zipper wax and KY in that drybox as well, making it a tight fit.

I am going to add a cannister light service kit with o-rings, various parts and spare bulbs and a drysuit patch kit.

Lastly, I have a small pouch that is my "general" kit which I also carry on hiking/rock climbing trips that has an electric glow stick, first aid kit, flint/steel, magnesium block, leatherman, leatherman accessory bits/bit holder, small P3 Surefire light with spare bulb/batteries, various different surefire filter heads, spare AA batteries, and rubber bulb to squirt air.

Take the adjustable wrenches out of your kit. Get the correct sizes. You won't need very many and you'll save your regulator.

Walter once bubbled...
Take the adjustable wrenches out of your kit. Get the correct sizes. You won't need very many and you'll save your regulator.
One of those "right tool for the job" guys...hey, I have 2 adjustables in my save a dive kit!!! :eek:

Walter once bubbled...
Go for it, but keep 'em away from my regs.
I understand totally...my father is the same way. I am just an impetuous shortcut taking idiot when it comes to tools. I did buy a set of metric wrenches for my Apeks regs though...just not enough room in my save a dive kit for them.

I do have wrench sets at home which I use for any "real" maintenance. I'm personally fine with the adjustable for the "save a dive kit' as it is intended for emergency field repairs only which has for me been 0 instances on my reg sets for the wrenches. Once on the DIN adapter to check the O-ring/seat due to a small amount of bubbling, but that was all hex driver work, no wrenches. IMHO, if you are careful with the adjustables and use them properly, a rare single use to swap out a blown hose won't damage the regs. Versitility and kit size in this instance for me won out over individual set sized wrenches. My policy is that if I can't carry over the shoulder and/or in my two hands everything in my kit at the same time (excluding the tanks) then I've packed too much. I promise I won't go near your regs with the adjustable wrenches. At this point, I'm more interested in adding a torque wrench to the kit to protect my 1st stage.

I forgot that I also have a set of regular pliers, needle nose pliers and needle tipped tweezers that I tossed into my bag at some point because they didn't fit into the drybox. I've only used the pliers once for field work to put in a set of sping fin straps for someone. I'm sure I also have other assorted tools/parts floating about my bags that I'm not thinking of, but as they are floating about, I guess they aren't really part of my save-a-dive kit as of yet.

Back
Top Bottom