Save a dive kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duct tape- great for patching the aqua seal patch covering up the leaking Viking glue patch in the neck seal. Also makes a compelling fashion statement (compelled me to replace my butt ugly neck seal).

Spare mouth piece- This one was a life saver. After a few days of diving my cough went from annoying to stay out of the water (heinous). My dive buddy in a fit of divine inspiration checked my mouthpiece and found a small hole just upstream of the bite (had to stretch the thing to even see it). Salt H2O + lungs = bad. New mouthpiece saved a dive trip! SADT?

HP hose- Saw one blow.

Wet naps- see HP hose.

White vinegar, isopropyl alcohol and q-tips- Cleaning grunge off of small parts (eg. that little floater in the spg swivel).

O-rings for the spg swivel (damn thing never leaks at home).

Dive buddy with the stuff you forgot.

Tissue or napkins or paper towels to blow nose after dive. And to hand to other divers who are grossing me out with long strings of yuck hanging from their nose.

During the winter, early spring and late autum I'll carry something like three pairs of dry cloves. Nothing compares to getting warm hands after a long dive. And there's alway somebody hwo will be your friend for lift for loan of a pair of warm gloves.

I also carry a small piece of abbrasive cloth (englich exsact expesssion???) to clean traces of rust and some of that really fast acting glue.

As long as you have duct tape, you can build/repair almost anything. Personally, I've used it to make a mask strap and to hold various bandages in place under my wetsuit.

In addition to the norm...mouth pieces, O rings, straps, tools, ect....I always bring 6 feet of parachute cord, a swiss army knife, small sewing kit, 3 feet of duct tape and a disposable lighter. Paracute cord can tie up or down anything. Its 550lbs test and can take a lot of abuse. Swiss Army knife...if its good enough for MacGuyver its good enough for me. Sewing kit....to sew. Duct tape...everything. And the lighter for whipping the ends of poly line, smoothing that jagged end on a zip tie, lighting the BBQ, candles, camp fire.

I carry these 5 items in my shaving kit when I travel too (non diving). Its kinda the do all kit.

:spaninq:

Before you ask...I take a stiff piece of cardboard with square cut ends quarter of an inch wider than the tape and double its width long and carefully wrap 3 and a half feet of tape on it so it lays flat. You loose a good 6 inches to the cardboard. I use that length because beyond that it gets fat and stickey....

Extra wing nuts either. Extra set of bolts for your back plate or some thread stock aint a bad idea.

:spaninq:

I have a combined SAD and 1st Aid Kit that I made with a Plano Tackle Box. I have many of the above items, but I also have dental floss and sewing needles. I fixed a weight belt this way. I also have my pocket CPR mask, emergency blanket, water proof tape, electrical tape, and a leatherman as part of my kit.

I carry a small bicycle innertube patch kit, for repairing latex seals. I did a two day liveaboard with three patches on my neck seal. :shocked2:

I know this is an old thread, but still very relevant.

I have found adding a 6" piece of bicycle tubing to my kit has proven time and time again to be indispensable. You can quickly snip some off and use it as a rubber band for securing just about anything. You can also use it for patching jobs with the glue of your choice (I love the gorilla glue fast setting formula, sets in 2 hours), just be sure to rough it up a bit.

I also carry a roll of the black 1" Hockey tape. Amazing stuff. Stays better than duct tape after immersion.

And lastly, a few non lubricated condoms. These things can be used to waterproof just about anything. Perfect emergency dry storage for phones and wallets on the boat if you don't have a dry bag or dry box. You can even still use your phone while its sealed (cant swipe too well on a smart phone but it can be done). You can actually stretch them out to fit over your head without breaking, so it can be used on just about anything the size of your noggin :eek:).

Back
Top Bottom