save a dive kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello , I am interested in what most divers keep in their save a dive kit so I can evaluate what I have and maybe improve it? Thanks in advance and safe diving , plan your dive and dive your plan!

Many (most) gear failures that can potentially prevent you from diving can be avoided with a careful inspection of your gear. I use spring straps on my jet fins, and a fairly indestructible mask strap (neoprene and velcro, "Slap Strap"?? Cannot remember what they are called).

O-rings can sometimes fail without warning. Hoses generally give lots of warning if you take the trouble to inspect them before each dive.

Regulators can sometimes freeflow slightly at inopportune times (at the dive site).

Zippers, seams and BC dumpvalves and occasional BC inflators can act up.

Batteries can die.

Again, the vast majority of these problems can be avoided with inspection and preventative maintenance. Inspect and test your gear. Look especially closely areas that are subjected to stress, like mask straps, fin straps and buckles, hose fittings, and all "connections" in general.

So, having said that, what has my "save a dive" kit been whittled down to after 30 years???

• Tank o-rings (for yoke style tank connection),
  • A few tools to remove and quickly adjust a "leaky" 2nd stage.
  • A complete spare regulator setup.

The reality is that if you are at a dive site and don't wish to make others wait, you will not be making extensive repairs to your gear. If I have a 2nd stage freeflow when I first pressurize it, I will not make others wait while I fiddle with it. I will fish out my spare and go diving, then fix it when I get home.

Nothing wrong with carrying MORE spares, but over the years the most common failures I've seen are tank o-rings fail when you first pressurize the tank... this is quickly remedied with an o-ring; and regulator freeflows... this is NOT quickly remedied unless you have a spare regulator, unless you are willing to make your dive buddy(ies) wait.

Best wishes.

I just roll up my servicing tools in a kit I sewed and have all my o-rings in it. If I can't fix it with that, it's not fixable. Quite a bit overkill but it has saved at least one dive trip so far. The kit includes all tools and parts I need for my different reg sets, including an IP gauge and rolls up into a 6 inch by 8 inch tube. It just goes in my dive bag when I go on a trip.

Its all dependent on how bad you want to do the dive.

If going on a quick dive that I wouldn't be upset if I had to sit out, I might throw an extra reg (that I can cannibalize and make SOMETHING workable if my primary regs fails), a mask in the gear bag, and that's it. The rest of my gear is pretty darn reliable and unlikely to break. Spring straps on fins, hogarthian backplate, quality wing/inflator, uwatec bottom timer.

I've been on dives where I had a lot invested and brought a spare of everything (regs, light, scooters, wing, drysuit, tools to fix virtually anything, hoses).

- All sorts of o-rings. Often usefull: 1st stage/cylinder and hose connection o-rings. SPG o-rings. All these fail easily in cold.
- Regulator & 1st stage service kit and reserve parts: o-rings and easily replaceable rubber parts.
- In extreme cold I have a spare regulator (and hot water).
- Cylinder valve spare parts. The rubber knob once failed.
- Bungee. Extra clips in case i drop one.
- Extra HP hose (I have needed these)
- Tools.

Also extra gear:
- Spare mask
- Spare drygloves. Gloves do break.
- Spare spring strap for the fins and the needed screws and stuff. For long trips.
- Redundant dive kit (cylinders, regs, lights, knives, ...)

Back
Top Bottom