Save a Dive Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you wear contacts while diving, be sure to take an extra pair or two. They have a tendency to fall out at the worst times...

goodknight411:
If you wear contacts while diving, be sure to take an extra pair or two. They have a tendency to fall out at the worst times...
I not only keep an extra 2 or 3 pairs. I carry my Accuvue prescription with me in case all else fails and I need a new set. I also carry a preccription mask as well

Just a quick note here on Duct Tape:
Here is a trick I learned from some BackPackers to save space; Wrap some duct tape around a pen and then carry that. I carry a couple of strips about 2 feet long with me when I backpack. That keeps the weight and the volume low but allows me to carry enough for most small repairs.

Also when I get my reg serviced, I bring the replaced pieces with me. Most of those pieces would be okay to use in an emergency (I think) and they also are examples of the pieces for reference.

Not really part of the Save-a-Dive, but good to have with you is a small bottle of the hand purifier for washing hands.

One last thing that can be useful in some circumstances is one of the small travel rolls of toilet paper. Especially important if you have any of the gentler sex along with you. Again small and light weight, just carry it in a ziplock bag.

I also have a hat keeper: a small strip of cord with a clip on each end to keep your hat from blowing overboard while on the boat. I use them for Whitewater Rafting, Water Skiing and Diving.

Wristshot

Besides ALOT of great ideas I saw above, including toliet paper.

Don't forget some of these items.
Ziploc bags (of various sizes)
Chem Lights
Liquid Band-Aid (for cuts and blisters)
Chap stick (great for sealer also on mustache/mask)
Pen/paper (put in ziplock)

I know spare change has been mentioned, but put a quarter with your spare computer batteries if your computer requires a quarter (or other coin) to open the battery cover like mine does. I tape a quarter to the package the batteries come in.

Heavy needle and thread isn't a bad idea either, especially on a live aboard trip. I had part of a wetsuit come un-stitched once.

I don't think I saw anyone list Sunblock either.

But overall, lots of great suggestions and good ideas.

-mike

Lot of good suggestions here, I will have to upgrade my kit.

I have a weight belt buckle in my kit also. I have had to problems with them and no one mentioned one.

Looks like almost everything is covered here....but you guys missed one thing, if the cargo trailer full of stuff you carry doesn't have the one thing you need, the only thing that will make the whole excursion bearable is a small bottle of Crown Royal. I call it my snake-bite kit....I also sometimes carry a small snake.........

river rat:
Looks like almost everything is covered here....but you guys missed one thing, if the cargo trailer full of stuff you carry doesn't have the one thing you need, the only thing that will make the whole excursion bearable is a small bottle of Crown Royal. I call it my snake-bite kit....I also sometimes carry a small snake.........

Naah...

Skip the snake and throw in some Ron Rico Gold. It's not so harsh. :wink:

vel525:
I'm trying to put together a Save a Dive Kit. Just trying to figure out what all you guys keep in yours and what you found to be the most helpful. I tried searching and did not find anything helpful. Thanks.

Victor

Just a comment on those nifty little pre-assembled kits the LDS's like to sell - the mask straps don't always fit the newer style masks (like my new Cressi wide-eyes). 'Better to get the specific one for your own mask in the container, but keep the others for others on your dive :wink:

MN Lakeman:
Just a comment on those nifty little pre-assembled kits the LDS's like to sell - the mask straps don't always fit the newer style masks (like my new Cressi wide-eyes). 'Better to get the specific one for your own mask in the container, but keep the others for others on your dive :wink:

Not only that, but the pre-assembled Save-a-Dive kits I've seen cost more than if you had purchased the individual components separately, including the drybox.

I guess you have to pay a price for the convenience, what little there is.

MN Lakeman:

Same thing for the fin straps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom