Save Broward Reefs Party: Filamentous Algae Removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jenny,

I'm sure Kris and I could work out a kid watch exchange program..

BTW, my 2 psi.. if its in November, count me in, my whole October is literally booked with some activity... :) / :(

If you guys are doing it 10/11, Xavier and I will be in Michigan, and Colin will be stuck working. If you guys plan something for November, definitely count us in. And Jenny, I would be happy to watch your little diver to be if you could watch ours.

Hopefully we can make a difference in the perservation of our delicate reef system.

Love, Kris

And Jenny, I would be happy to watch your little diver to be if you could watch ours.
Be happy to trade bubble watching duties with ya!

You know.. I'm continually impressed with the open, unselfishishness and trust of divers/people I have met on this board. Its very refreshing... its given me a little reality check, I was starting to let corporatetude slide into my world outside of work. :)

scuba_jenny once bubbled... SNIP... Mike, are you contacting Ken Banks? I would like instruction on cleaning this stuff off/what to do with it, how to clean it up without spreading it...
Yup, and I think we'll have a special guest (local dive organization dude) stop by and give us a little instruction before the dive. It's NOT rocket science - you simply "dust" it gently with your gloved hand from the bottom up and "help" it into a mesh bag (I'll have these for us). It doesn't even get your gloves dirty.

Now, we don't expect to make a big dent here... it's more about experimentation and seeing some critters. No pressure... I'm more in it to throw the party lol. Maybe the next one should be in Dania, Jen, if this one goes well.

I'd also like your inputs on re-attaching rods & fans. I have the go-ahead and some feedback on reef doctoring, so I'm going to be able to start gearing up soon. I was out again today and counted a dozen downed rods that were still alive.

OK, my dive neighbors are going to dema so they've asked if we can move this to Sunday... Dan, Mark, Jen... how about it? Say 1:00 pm with bbq at 5 pm? Too late?

Coral is alive on the outside right? Like a tree has the most living growth in the bark? So "replanting it" for lack of a better term, can create a new colony?

DEEPSEAWOLF once bubbled... Coral is alive on the outside right? Like a tree has the most living growth in the bark? So "replanting it" for lack of a better term, can create a new colony?
I contacted Harold Hudson, the reef doctor, to obtain some pointers. He was very encouraging and even connected me with a seminar in reef doctoring.

Although I am interested in "replanting" soft corals - rods & fans - he has been cultivating hard corals and then doing exactly what you suggest - replanting them and starting new colonies in the Keys.

Hard or soft, "reef gardening" promises to be a great hobby this year!

Melissa's playing in a volleyball tournament at Cardinal Gibbons High this weekend. Depending how they do on Saturday determines if they play on Sunday. But since they've only lost once so far this season, chances are good they're playing Sunday.

If I miss the dives I still may come by and crash the party to say hello. CG is at Commercial and Federal - not far.

Marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom