Saying Hey, and asking for help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aren't the Cyclons a downstream design? I thought only the Jetstream and Xstream were upstream regs. The upstream poseidon regs, although they don't freeflow when the IP goes through the roof, are still breathable. The pressure is vented through the OPV that is integraded at the end of the hose. If you have any questions regarding the Poseidon regs, contact Bob3 here on the forums.

Nemrod:
You could team those 300s with another second stage that will then be able to relieve the pressure should there be a first stage problem and runaway IP. N

... or simply rely on Poseidon's OP relief hose fitting, as they were designed.:wink:

Falco has the right idea...

Dugout, those new fangled 300 "thingys" are gonna kill you man! Junk those things and get yourself a reliable double hose Aqua Master---:D . Don't you know, single hose are for girls anyways:rofl3: . Yep, my instructor told me so and therefore it is true and he was a manly man:no .
N
NAVED 111

Nemrod:
Dugout, those new fangled 300 "thingys" are gonna kill you man! Junk those things and get yourself a reliable double hose Aqua Master---:D . Don't you know, single hose are for girls anyways:rofl3: . Yep, my instructor told me so and therefore it is true and he was a manly man:no .
N
NAVED 111

Oh yea, I'm a girly-man and one step away from fait... :sharkattack:

I usually get this stuff about my At-pac; not my regs??? It usually goes like this,
"That thing's gonna kill ya, dude. It's older than I am":snore:

Nemrod; Your the one I'm worried about. Seriously, you better send that DH Aqua Master to me. I'll dispose of if properly............ (Properly between a pair of steel 72s...:D )

Ha ha - welcome aboard! Whether you are a yout is all relative to the person asking I guess.

I dove solo from my boat a few times as well. I would descend down the anchor line, make sure the hook was set good, and go about my dive. Once I did this with a buddy and the boat was unattended. We did our thing, surfaced, and as we were busy stowing/packing gear I looked up and we had drifted. We drifted a good 100 yards in wind and with our heads down packing gear did not notice. If I or we surfaced sans boat, it would have been one hell of a swim at the very least if not impossible to reach the boat. If one of us surfaced needing 02 or some other first aid or if surfaced conditions changed dramatically, etc. we would have been screwed.

So from that point I decided I would never dive without someone on the boat. I also have laminated procedures, movement by movement, on how to start/run the boat, call the USCG with the GPS coordinates, etc. I still dive solo but I make sure someone is aboard. I'm sure you have been diligent in your practices as well.

--Matt

Welcome aboard, sounds like your not to far out of date really. I mean basicly we are still just carbinating ourselves then slowly uncarbinating ourselves. Seems Like your on the right track for keeping your gear in proper and safe condition. You should consider diving with an redunent independent air supply (not Spare Air) this forum has several good threads.

And as Captian pointed out a computer can help because it free's you from some of the table formalities like always make your deepest dive first it can track your dive times weather you make a 65ft dive then an 80ft dive, while most dive tables can't, also if you happen to go into a compression dive it can guide you through your safty stops.

Another thing you might really want to consider is getting a nitrox certification, its an awsome midrange gas mixture. If you do alot of diving in 60-90 ft of water it can stretch you bottom time. But I would defently take the class as nitrox has some actual risk factors to consider and alot of voodu still but alot less than there used to be.

Anyway welcome to the board.

Tagerisatroll:
Welcome aboard, sounds like your not to far out of date really. I mean basicly we are still just carbinating ourselves then slowly uncarbinating ourselves. Seems Like your on the right track for keeping your gear in proper and safe condition. You should consider diving with an redunent independent air supply (not Spare Air) this forum has several good threads.
Your right. I will have a Pony setup by spring and again this seems like sound advice. I have had no problems doing buoyant emergency ascents from 80 feet and shallower but there does seem to be proof of physiological issues with this practice which I'm learning about. I guess the days of doing "blow and goes" every 4th or 5th dive are done. No sense in leaving the door open for disaster, anymore.
Tagerisatroll:
And as Captian pointed out a computer can help because it free's you from some of the table formalities like always make your deepest dive first it can track your dive times weather you make a 65ft dive then an 80ft dive, while most dive tables can't, also if you happen to go into a compression dive it can guide you through your safty stops.
I think you guys are stone cold correct. A Suunto Gekko is on my list for Santa. They seem like an amazing device. I really want to do my normal thing and see what the computer has to say about it. 95% of my diving is shallow single dives, under 50 feet, and with AL80s, it's self limiting. It's the other 5% where the possibility exists for Murphy to attack.
Tagerisatroll:
Another thing you might really want to consider is getting a nitrox certification, its an awsome midrange gas mixture. If you do alot of diving in 60-90 ft of water it can stretch you bottom time. But I would defently take the class as nitrox has some actual risk factors to consider and alot of voodu still but alot less than there used to be.
I've signed up for the PADI enriched air course. I mainly get fills at the local fir house but I want to learn about EANx. I think it's mainly because "Mixed Gas" diving was all NOAA and DOD Voodoo way back when.
Tagerisatroll:
Anyway welcome to the board.

Thanks. We think a lot alike. You have just hit on most of my issues to address with all this new awareness I'm gleaning.

Additionally, I will be replacing my trusty At-Pac. All good things must come to an end and it's time. I count myself fortunate to have chosen one of the first BP/W set ups over the popular vests, in the late 70s. I will have nothing else and I'm glad to see so many current BP/W choices now. I seldom find myself on the front end of the learning curve but this time I was HOG before it was cool to be HOG.:D

matt_unique:
I'm sure you have been diligent in your practices as well.

--Matt

Well, I set the anchor good with 7:1 scope. I stern cleat a second down line with 30lbs on it, just off the bottom. .I'm not too concerned. I'm usually in protected water. Calm seas, and I hate to dive in a big current so I time the tides for slack water.
Yes, a little caution and planning goes a long way...:wink:

dugout:
When did the "Safety Stop" come into vogue and why? There seems to be a bunch of different NDL tables now. I know about the navy tables and the YMCA tables.

My understanding is that the tables were designed only to avoid decompression sickness symptoms, but they had no way of knowing what long-term or subtle damage was being done to your body when you off-gassed the nitrogen.

Now a lot of divers even do multiple safety stops, starting deeper, because we know more about what is actually going on in the body when the offgassing occurs, and there may be long-term health benefits to allowing the off-gassing to occur less quickly.

When I do a deeper dive, I try to stop at 40ft for 1 minute, 30 ft. for 1 minute, 20ft for 2 minutes and 10ft for 3 minutes. If the dive was less than 80 feet, i won't bother with the 40ft stop. I *think* I generally feel better after doing stops like that, and I've heard the same thing from other people.

I started doing deep stops on my keys trip while doing the duane and the grove. That was in may. Been doing it ever since and I definitely feel better. Normally it involves a 1 minute at half max depth, 1 at 40 if half max is deeper than that, 1 at 30, 1 at 20 and 3 at 10. Not only do I feel better but I see things that I might have missed before. Like when doing a bottom profile ascent in our lake I've found bracelets, earrings, lures and just junk that others dont see cause they just pass it up. Different fish also seem to like different places in the water column.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom