Scary Regulator Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJana

Reaction score
This weekend I tried out my new equipment doing a fresh water dive. On my second dive I experienced a regulator problem. My regulator is the kind where you can wet a sponge and insert it into a spot on the reg. to reduce dry mouth. I was about 20 ft under water. When I inhaled water entered my mouth and I could not take a full breath for fear of chocking. I switched to my octo. I could not get a good breath out of it and started to freak out. So I aborted the dive doing an emergency ascent. When I surfaced I was not out of air so that was not the problem. I was wondering if anybody has had that type of problem and what if anything I could have done differently. I was so freaked I don't know if I will be able to get into the water again. Please help!

Water in the reg is usually down to a leaky exhaust valve or a loose mouthpiece. This can be better or worse depending on the angle you are at. As you have the sponge thing then it could be to do with that.

Feeling like you can't get enough air from your reg is a common symptom of CO2 build up. Had you been exercising before or during the dive? Were you breathing hard while diving? It could have been the shallow brething you were doing while you had a wet reg. To prevent CO2 build up you need to relax and take normal breaths. It could also be a symptom of a fauly reg so it might be worth getting it checked out. You want your back-up/octo to work when you need it.

I've not used the system so I don't know much about it. My guess would be the dry mouth thing would be your problem. Assuming it's a good regulator and in good working order, there is no easy way for water to get inside (that I can think of, without a malfunction, such as the exaust valve folded over, or dirty) but you've got a device inline to introduce moisture.

My thoughts, not knowing the system, would be, too much water in the "sponge" after which as the pressure increased it just pushed the water right out of the sponge. I would go do another dive with it, with the sponge dry, or removed completely.

It's not uncommon for a low performance "octo" to perform badly, esspecially those low profile things which are SO popular (if I had my way, I'd throw them all away and drowned the guy who invented it) They perform like crap on the surface, and even worse in even 10' of water... I'd hate to test one in more than 30' of water, as it probably can't deliver the air a stressed diver needs. If it's not a low profile but still low performance, you still have the same issue. I use an R380 as a backup and it is very comparable performance wise to my primary.

Like I said, I would redive it with the sponge dry and or removed completely. And if you have an icky "octo" you may want to consider a nicer one? I would also just get someone like the dive shop to look over and test the reg out prior to the next dive, that way you KNOW theres nothing physically wrong with it... they may also confirm that you had too much moisture in the sponge, OR that there was some sort of failure which they can then resolve.

Just my 2cents....

I think you need to go buy yourself a quality regulator and leave the junk for boat cleaning... What is the manufacturer of the reg anyways??? Inquring minds want to know...

ScubaJana once bubbled...
<snip>... So I aborted the dive doing an emergency ascent. When I surfaced I was not out of air so that was not the problem. I was wondering if anybody has had that type of problem and what if anything I could have done differently. I was so freaked I don't know if I will be able to get into the water again. Please help!

Your ok an that's the main thing but I would suggest switching to your buddy's alternate over an emergency ascent.

Often when a reg delivers water instead of air you can get a breath by depressing the purge button while breathing.

ScubaJana,
Welcome to the board.
You stated that this was new equipment. IMHO, go back to where you bought it, describe what you experienced, and have the regs checked out. Make sure your tank valve was on all the way.
I would then suggest you go into the pool and verify that everything is functioning correctly. Finally, I would then try again in open water.
If the equipment isn't functioning to the point that you have confidence in its performance, replace it. Unfortunately, most of us have purchased gear that didn't perform as advertised.
Trying to dive with gear that you aren't confident is working correctly is a major source of stress and needs to replaced.
As a matter of interest, is dry mouth that big an issue?
Keep safe and don't let this one experience keep you from diving.
Good Luck,
Larry

When I inhaled water entered my mouth and I could not take a full breath for fear of chocking.
Make sure that your lips are sealed on the mouth piece and that you are not just biting it. Also, check out the regulator mechanically. Some regulators may tend to breath wet when inverted, etc.

I switched to my octo. I could not get a good breath out of it and started to freak out.
Some octos will require a little more effort to get air out of them. New divers are often nervous, especially when they have a problem. Accordingly, it may seem difficult to get a good breath out of the octo because you haven't learned to relax yet. I second the suggestion that it is far better to use a buddies octo than to do an asscent.

Hope you get it figured out. :)

Thanks for all of your advise. I am beginning to feel a little better and not so panicy. The brand of my regulator is Apollo (what the dive shop recommened for me). My dive buddy and I were doing a navigation dive under the supervision of a DM. They told me to let my buddy lead and for me to follow and they would not follow us. Since I was following my buddy he never knew I was having trouble. I learned a valuable lesson. Even though I am under the directions of a DM and am suppose to do what they request in order to get the certification I need to insist on more supervision when in a learning situation.

Thanks again,
Jana

Jana
You and your buddy need to be able to keep an eye on each other and attract each other's attention under all circumstances and at all stages during a dive. It doesn't matter what type of dive it is, or what the level of supervision there is - they can't watch everyone and the buddy is the first contact if something goes wrong.
Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom