Scary Wreck Tale - Ghastly 'Trust Me' diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You challenge the DM simply by saying no. I try to drill into my students to not follow anyone blindly. Including me. If I don't give them a damn good reason to do something that makes them a little uncomfortable they are to give me the finger and tell me to go to hell. Then we can discuss it and go from there. If it's a required training exercise I will show them where that is stated and explain the reasoning. Otherwise they are under no obligation to do it. And I tell them to keep that in the front of their minds anytime they are on a guided dive. Along with having their own plan to go to. The DM can be told no and the dive aborted at any time.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

A comedian once said, “Somewhere on the planet is the world’s worst dentist… and tomorrow, someone has an appointment with him.”

It seems to apply to divemasters as well.

"Plans" like that work great, until they don't.

I'm not surprised anymore. On another forum I was given a first hand account of a PADI AOW diver at Eagles Nest. Said he was clipped off to the line and tooling around the ballroom. He challenged me to give him any good reason why his deep, night, wreck specialties weren't enough for a cave dive.

sounds to me like the dive wouldn't have been much different if the original DM had led the dive.

Here are some other quotes from the author:
"Once I got over the fact that holding my breath while ascending was OK, breathing was much easier"
"Once I got over the fact that going past NDL was OK, my bottom time was much longer"

OK, I'm kidding about the quotes :)

I agree with Jim, however it'd be better if he died while doing this stupid crap alone than with clients who have no idea what a fool he is...

What a plonker

What a plonker

Couldn't have said it better Gordon...

There have been numerous threads on the subject of the "Once-Every-Five-Years" recreational diver diving without the personal fortitude to keep themselves safe. This to me is another example of a "certified" diver(s) blindly following a "certified" DM (if proof of certification was even required or checked).

I suppose that since they made it to the internet and SB, their stupidity has become open the world's critique or enjoyment...depending how you view internet forums.

The ironic thing is that in a previous blog post he reports upon the Cavern Diver course he undertook at Sipidan. He can't see the parallel risks and demands between cavern and wreck penetration??

He finished that article by describing the 15 minutes of deco he did whilst solo on a sheer wall. It's in bold... he's proud of it. Obviously it was well planned... "Im float in about 5 meters".

Who certified this Epic Fail as a dive pro??

Back
Top Bottom